“Staff make the difference here...” 4 of 5 stars

You added Polynesian Hostel Beach Club to your Saves list
Polynesian Hostel Beach Club
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   2584 Lemon Rd, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
San Francisco
“Staff make the difference here...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

This is NOT the Ritz, folks!

I spent one night in a private room- clean and adequate. One night in a shared room- clean and adequate. Considerate room-mate. Communal kitchen in no worse condition than most.

Never felt or saw a bug of any kind. Sheets were fresh and clean.

What will make me return is the great location and warm welcome and upbeat and helpful attitude of staffers Kat, Andie, Q,Wil and Jason. They could not have been nicer to me. Kat organized a Thanksgiving BBQ and the whole place joined in for convivial chat until after 10pm.

If you need more creature comforts, do try someplace else. If you value really cheap price and instant comraderie while on the road, this is a sure bet.

Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

Booked here last minute before looking at other reviews on tripadvisor! Their own website looks nice but the reality is very different. I was travelling alone for a few nights in waikiki and booked myself a semi-private room. When I arrived (3pm) I had to go through a dorm to get to my room and there was someone sleeping, then got up in the morning and same thing. So if you want a bit of privacy do not stay here. The bathroom was shared with those in the dorm too and I didn't even want to shower as it just seemed dirty. I stayed one night as it was paid for but I got up early and checked into a hotel not far, only little more money but much cleaner and more privacy, and had t.v, air con.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

I am an ex hostel manager. This place is the worst hostel I have ever stayed in! We stayed in a studio room with a 'fully equiped kitchen' .. more like a dirty ktichen with dishes still on the bench with no toaster or kettle and one pot. When we aked for these items a foreign girl just srugged her shoulders. I then woke up at 4am intchy and found I had been eaten alive my bed bugs with around 100 bites all over me. We packed out our belongings to leave immediatly and there were bed bugs crawling all over our clothes, bags and all over the floor. We removed 15 off the just the outside of a day bag which was sitting on the floor. in total we killed over 50 bedbugs. I have never seen anything like it! I lifted the matress and what I saw made me almost throw up. The underneath of the matress was black with the blood the bed bugs excrite. This is not something that has happened over night but over a VERY LONG period of the time.
Upon leaving we left a not on the table with the key with some of the squished bed bugs we had killed, there was security asleep downstairs. I would have woken him up to tell him had he not been asleep with both his hands down his pants. We left and I later called to get our key deposit credited to the creditcard which did not happen. I have since sent 2 emails and they refuse to answer any emails or refund the key deposit or the shocking stay we had.
The ordeal we had to get rid of the bed bugs in our bags took us over a week. We had to wash our clothes and in the end had to have our bags treated by pest control to erradicate them. We had to live out of plastic bags in the back of the car.
I understand that bed bugs happen in any sort of accomdation however it is how managment deal with the problem that makes all the difference and this problem has never been dealt with at all so no doubt they continue to check people into the room and do nothing about complaints or their bed bug problem,

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

I stayed here for four nights. Why? The price is so low! There is a reason for this, the place is a trash heap. Two of the four days our toilet was overflowed with crap and no one would fix it!!!!!!! We had to use the toilet on the beach. Not only that but if you're not one of the young "in crowd" or if they don't like you they treat you like you're sub-human (staff). For example there was an older lady drinking and she was being loud so they told her to go to bed while they were being loud on the lower levels, they didn't say a thing to them. This place needs new management and it could be great. The location is quite good and if you're on a really tight budget it can be manageable, if you're used to hostels and cheap hotels. Next time I'll look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Lakewood, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

This place seamed to be an ok hostel until we found a hive a bed bugs. My wife now has welts all over her body and it is just nasty. We tryed to save some money by staying here but payed for it in the end.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

Let me make it clear that I have stayed in hostels often. Also, the Polynesian's website was one of the most promising hostel websites in Waikiki.

This hostel was gross. My friend and I called the hostel from the airport and were told that there were beds available. We arrived at the hostel in the pouring rain after a 17 hour day, we were anxious to get to bed.
We were met at the gate by stares from the partying residents -- we weren't meeting the dress code. We were travelling stand-by, so we were dressed in business casual. Everyone else was either topless in shorts, or bikini-ed in shorts, with beer in hand.
At the front desk, we were faced with the yellowed pillows and linens we could soon be sleeping in. My friend made the GREAT call to check the room before we confirmed anything.
There was no elevator, so we climbed up the flights of stairs with our luggage. When we got to the room we noted that it had its own washroom (I think), 3 bunkbeds with plastic wrapped mattresses, and some guy's grimey underwear hanging on his bed. There was also one of those large square floor fans. We weren't impressed ... but we were tired, so we were still maybe going to stay the night.
The coup de grâce was when my friend noticed the door locking mechanism ... It was only a lockable door handle which faced the wrong way (the flat "can't use a credit card to open me" side was not facing the outside). There was no deadbolt or doorchain. That's when we declined the room.
It's also when the receptionist began to haggle us about the room. Every concern we had was not warranted, in her opinion. We were told there was a gate down the stairs to prevent intruders instead of the deadbolt on the room, and that our dirty guy roomie is really gay. Although, her opinion was null since she was already buzzed and still holding a beer in her hand.
When it was understood we wouldn't be staying, we were then told we'd be charged for cancelling a reservation, even if we had only made an inquiry and never shared our credit card information.
In the end, we walked the Waikiki strip for 15 minutes at night to the Ohana Waikiki West. For $13 more each per night, we had a clean, quiet, courteous hotel experience.

The Polynesian seemed like the perfect place for someone who is beyond laidback, very young, likes to party, likes to spend the day surfing, and isn't worried about cleanliness (their own, others', or the establishment's).

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

bad bad bad!

We arrived in waikiki late at night and phoned the hostel ahead to see if they had availability, the did so we headed over.

The hostel is on a very sketchy street away from most of the hub bub of waikiki, so if you like to shop or do tours, surfing etc. its not a great location, but it is very close to the beach.

We came in and everyone was half naked...okay we're in hawaii, but i expect still a tad more professionalism, the thing is unless your on the beach most people dont dress like that in waikiki.

we had asked for a female room and then asked to see the room before we booked, THANK GAWD! we were taken up many flights of stairs (fine) to a room without any kind of lock!! it had been busted out! there were no lockers to put our bags in either! that is just unacceptable, between my camera, glasses, gps and phone I alone had alot to loose!

there was a industrial sized fan running in the room which we had to yell over to hear each other, could you imagine sleeping through that! the room seemed pretty clean, new floors, beds were standard. but the pillows were disgusting!!! and the beds had vinyl covers on them, good for bugs, bad for any kind of good sleep. then we looked over and there were 4 pairs of boxers, one noticably dirty. So we asked about it and they're response was, oh that guys gay dont worry about him...not exactly the response I was looking for.

Well we had seen enough, I have seen and stayed in alot of hostels and this one was WAY below expectation.

They tried to make us pay for the room anyways even though we hadn't booked it and they had no credit card or names, we just walked out.

We stayed at the Ohana West instead, the room was only $100 a night for a clean, safe, quiet room with two double beds. If you were travelling with 4 people, with 2 ppl per double bed, that would work out to the same price as the polynisian. We travelled with the two of us and it was well worth the extra money (they have a pool and a safe and is air conditioned and no random men in your room, lol)

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends

Been to Polynesian Hostel Beach Club? Share your experiences!