My expectations were pretty high after staying in HI in San Francisco, but this experience was nothing like it. I advertised my arrival at 11pm, and when I got there, the guy at the desk made it clear that it bothered him that I was checking in that late, even though the reception was open till midnight. They lost my reservation, even though I already payed a deposit and wrote a re-confirmation email. They opened a new room for me, which was nice, but someone kept coming in and using the toilet and the shower all throughout my stay, even at times like 3am, which was a bit creepy! You can't open or close the windows all the way, so it gets really chilly at night and quite hot during the day, and there's a lot of noise from the outside. The next day I asked for a map, they didn't have any!! All the staff were totally clueless and annoyed when you asked something, except for the housekeeping girl, who was really nice. They don't advertise that breakfast is included at the moment, but when I made the booking they sure did, so I was quite disappointed, as well as other guests staying there that I talked to about it.
Plus side of this hostel is it's location - 2min walk from the Waikiki beach, you have all the shops, bus stops and shuttle pickup to take you to various activities within a 5min walk. Also you have the Food pantry - a big supermarket a couple of blocks away, but it's quite expensive, some food and especially water is much cheaper at the ABC stores! If you need a map of the area, there are stands with several brochures right on the Waikiki strip, most of them have a map inside!
The hostel itself is very clean, including the kitchen and common areas. Wifi is not in the room, you have to go downstairs, which is annoying at times, but makes you interact with other travellers. Linen is provided, towels are not.
Overall, it wasn't a really bad experience, maybe I'd stay again, at least knowing what I'm getting into. But I guess you're in Hawaii, so sometimes you just have to hang loose and go with it..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aloha, we host all kinds of short term travelers like around the world backpackers, gap year travelers, airline & cruise ship employees, students, families & single travelers. Thanks for considering HI Waikiki! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld and HostelBookers so you can book your Hostelling International Waikiki reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hostelling International Waikiki Hotel Honolulu
- Hostelling International Waikiki Hawaii/Honolulu