“Great spot in Waikiki! Nice people, very comfortable beds (even the bunk beds), and Jimmy to show you around! Best!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostelling International Waikiki

You added Hostelling International Waikiki to your Saves list
Hostelling International Waikiki
2417 Prince Edward Street, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

So I stayed at Hi Waikiki for about 6 nights and it was so much fun! I stayed here for a conference and was traveling alone, but it was so nice to meet people and to go to happy hour and to the night market. Although I'm at the conference during the day they had many tours on, going to see the turtles and taco Tuesday, free pancakes-Sunday! Jimmy is the best making this all possible. Best place to stay. And the beds are very comfortable, even for bunk beds.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Belo Horizonte, MG
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I'll be really honest... when you look at this hostel you won't think much of it. It looks oldfashioned... but the location is great. Rooms are good. Staff are really friendly and helpful. And rates are really low. So if you save on accommodation, you have more money to eat better, visit more places and enjoy more!! It's great! I would definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Hostelling international Waikiki is in the prime spot for a great time in Hawaii. I was a little disappointed by the cleanliness and facilities at the hostel but the low price and great location made up for it. Would recommend to those who plan to only sleep at the hostel as the kitchen and communal areas aren't too flash.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Panama City Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed here for a few days while waiting to meet family. The room was clean enough, and my lower bunk next to the window was heaven--breezes blowing through all the time, and not too much noise (at least for me!). The people who worked there were uniformly wonderful, and being able to borrow a boogie-board instead of having to buy one for just a few days was great.

I'd stay here again in a heartbeat--heck, if I could have the same room/bed, I'd move in, but luckily (?) the hostel has a limit on how long a person can stay)--and hope to stay there again soon. I mean, I liked it just as much as the fancy hotel I moved to with family, and it was hella cheaper!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I had a great stay at the hostel. Cody, one of the front desk attendants was especially helpful in planning my stay and helping me to arrang logistics to check out the rest of Oahu. Thanks so much Cody!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

We were pretty annoyed when we first arrived as we had to wait a long time to be seen whilst they handed over shift (I'm not sure why they couldn't deal with us first or what took so long), then after paying found out they didn't have two beds in the same dorm. We were told its first come first served but we, for a specific reason, had booked two beds in one dorm. If that's their policy it should be made clear before booking.

The hostel itself is very clean and well equipped, in a good location 2 minutes from the beach, shops and restaurants. As someone else said there is no atmosphere and no social events but it does mean its quiet if that's what you want. The beds were comfortable and the fans kept it cool at night. There's no Internet in the rooms.

The staff we dealt with had next to no local knowledge, or weren't willing to give it to us! They told us the best place to get food was the extortionate ABC shops. In fact if you get a bus that takes about 5 minutes there's a safeways supermarket close by which is much cheaper. Pretty important for most backpackers.

We stayed in another hostel close by as well (you can only stay here for 7 nights) and it was disgusting & more expensive- I would definitely choose this over others but if you're looking for a good atmosphere this might not be the place for you.

One thing about the alcohol- that's policy in all the HI hostels we've stayed in in the USA (quite a few).

• Stayed May 2013
Manager_HI_Waikiki, Manager at Hostelling International Waikiki, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
We've hired several new staff that are still learning about Hawaii, but our staff spends a great deal of time behind the scenes making detailed info. on happy hours, good eats, bus directions. We also reserve many tours as a convenience for guests, & are happy to look things up for guests on our computer. As far as your comments about the ABC store, you're right everything in Waikiki is really expensive & while most guests would be ok with paying a couple extra dollars to avoid riding the bus (trust me it doesn't take just 5 minutes by bus, b/c when I drive there its 15 minutes) to the grocery store I'll inform my staff to be more clear of the options.

We ask guests to "hang loose" when they come visit, us. There's only one of us working at a time & it helps us keep the rates low so you can enjoy one of the most expensive places in the world on a budget.
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

When we arrived we met Lauren, a very nice girl from Chicago who helped us with our bags and reservation even though we were no guests at this time. She was very helpful and gave us great recommendations about the area. Thank you Lauren! Lukas and Arthur

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hostelling International Waikiki? Share your experiences!