“An Emergency Extension” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles Metro
“An Emergency Extension”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2008

I stayed at Hostelling International Waikiki for 2 nights after being "stuck in paradise" due to my flight being cancelled on the day of the October 15th earthquake. I almost was considering sleeping at the airport (it was very difficult to dial into Waikiki because all the phone lines were tied up, plus the hotel I stayed at the previous night was very expensive and not in my "emergency" budget) until I remembered that one of the travel guides I had read mentioned a hostel in Waikiki, so I called them directly and they had beds available. When we arrived, it was almost pitch black, because of the power outtages. The desk attendant checked us in promptly even without electricity. (They still use the old carbon copy receipt system here.) At first, she offered us dorm-style beds, but then we inquired about a private room and that's what we got. It was a very spartan room, but met our needs (a place to sleep/rest and bathe)-given the situation.There was no air conditioning, but its not too hot in October, so that was no problem (still muggy though). I slept well, though my companion was more paranoid and was afraid that someone was going to break into our room. There were a lot of guests smoking on the terrace outside the room as well. People with mobility issues should not stay here because there is no elevator and the stairwells are rather steep and narrow. The best thing about our stay was the fact that we got a private room and bathroom. I'm not into waiting to take a shower or walking on soggy bath mats. I'm also not into people coming home late at night in the dorms and chit chatting while I'm trying to sleep. And I'm also not into plastic or vinyl lined mattresses either. I'm glad for our Waikiki hostel experience (previously stayed at a very noisy, but more well-kept hostel in Cannes, France) but wouldn't choose to stay at a hostel for more than 2 days. Plus, its not that great of a value-but staying at a hostel makes one appreciate how nice most hotels are. Wow, I write a lot of run-on sentences.

• Liked — Fast check-in, private rooms available, free (used but clean) beach towels
  • Disliked — Thin walls, bed bugs, not smoke-free
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manager_HI_Waikiki, General Manager at Hostelling International Waikiki, responded to this review, September 9, 2011
I am glad our hostel was able to accommodate you in your emergency situation. Hostels & hotels are definitely different types of accommodations and require different expectations. Some things have changed in the last 3 years since you stayed with us; smoking is not allowed in the building (state law), & all our mattresses are protected with industry-grade bed bug covers.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2007

Just got back last week from five days staying at Hostelling International Hostel on Prince Edward Street, Waikiki. You cannot beat the location (3 mins walk from Waikiki beach), price ($23) and friendly staff. If you're going to be out and about all day and just need a place to crash and shower then this is it. If you want bath robes and full frontal ocean view rooms stay across the street at one of the $250+ hotels. I didn't use the kitchen at all but it was clean; same for the dorm room I was in. Building is an old converted apartment building so when you walk into female room # 4 you have the room you're standing in, with three female beds (single and a set of bunk beds). Off the main room is another dorm room with again just a single bed and one set of bunk beds. Finally, also off the main room are two private rooms which house the female staff and of course the shared bathroom is also off the main room. Secure overnight parking available for $5 a night, internet access $1/10min. Island tours leave Mon/Wed & Fri and apparently are well worth it $35 from 10am-8pm ish. Plenty of street noise starting early at approx 6-7am but it didn't really bother me, was up early for breakfast and fun every day anyway. All this current at time of writing 11/6/2007.

• Liked — Location and small rooms i.e. three to a room versus six or more
  • Disliked — Old grungy carpet thing on steps up and up two flights of stairs with bags to check in.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2006

I stayed there with my husband in a double private room. The location is fantastic, right behind the Hyatt Regency and less than 2 blocks from the beach. No elevators and if you have lots of luggage (like we did) and you get a room on the top floor, it can be a pain. All rooms come en-suite (with private bath) and fan to keep you cool. No towels but the beds have sheets...even though they don't look that clean. The room didn't look dirty but it definitely wasn't clean and one look at the mattress made me want to weep. I have stayed in many hostels in my life and this one was the worst. The pillows we had on the bed were about as flat as a pancake and had to be super old for it to get that flat. After the 2nd night, I complained and said that the pillows were awful and the front desk guy said, "hey, for $45 in Waikiki, don't expect anything. Lower your expectations." He had a point but it was sad that they cannot raise their standards. There were yellow "do not cross" tape draped over the corners of the floor because they looked as if they would crumble if anyone got near them. There is undercover secured parking as first come first served. Honestly, if they just got some new sheets and pillows and some paint and cleaned up and charge a little extra, it would be nicer. I honestly would've rather camped then stay here. Yuck.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manager_HI_Waikiki, Manager at Hostelling International Waikiki, responded to this review, September 9, 2011
In the 5 years since you've stayed with us we have made some changes: new management, new mattresses (2010) protected with industry grade bedbug covers, painted the entire building (2011) & private rooms (2010).

This an old building in a great location & we believe the price reflects that, when you compare with the average nightly rates in hotels in Waikiki is $150+
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2006

We stayed here in early December. It has an excellent location - about one block from Waikiki Beach and the shops.

There is no elevator and we had to take our luggage up 2 flight of small and narrow stairs. Our room was very very basic. It consisted of 4 bunk beds and one single bed and there was a bunch of mattresses in one of the rooms (seemed like it was a storage space). There were no towels provided.

The room was not dirty, but it was not that clean either. It had one small fan to keep us cool at night. However, the windows did not shut properly and so it was noisy at night as you could hear all the traffic at night (which was minimal). The shared kitchen was convenient as well as the internet use.

The best thing was the customer service. The people at the front desk were very helpful and they answered all our questions.

But it might be best to fork out the extra dollars and stay somewhere nicer in Honolulu if you can.

• Stayed December 2005

Been to Hostelling International Waikiki? Share your experiences!