“Mixed Feelings” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

Save Saved
You added Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel to your Saves list
Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   342 Seaside Ave, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Formerly Seaside Hotel )   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Book Direct and Save 25%
Ranked #13 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Vallejo, California
“Mixed Feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed here for 6 nights during our last trip to Oahu. I definitely have mixed feelings about this place.

The location is great, we were super close to Royal Hawaiian Center and Island Vintage Coffee, and it was super convenient for walking the strip (although now that International Marketplace is closed, Waikiki is really not the same).

We had a Partial Ocean View King room, and stayed in a corner room on the 13th floor. I'm still used to the taboo against 13th floors in hotel rooms, so that was a little scary (ha). Immediately when we got to the room I looked for the microwave and fridge, which was a necessity to me when I was looking for a hotel. Apparently not all of the rooms in this hotel have them (which to me is ridiculous, why don't you just put them in all the rooms?) and I was told to just hang out in the room for a bit until they figured out a solution. That was a pain, since the last thing we wanted to do was sit around in the hotel room (especially since we wanted to EAT). After waiting for a while and getting antsy cuz we wanted to leave, I followed up on the micro situation and was told they didn't have any other rooms in the category I booked, and if I needed to store something perishable I would be able to use the staff fridge. That's super inconvenient, if I was still a nursing mom and had to store breastmilk, the last thing I'd want to do is trek down to the lobby to store my milk. Thank goodness my son is older now and it wasn't a requirement, but it was definitely an inconvenience, and will surely factor into the decision for a hotel during our next stay.

My husband felt like our room was probably converted from a storage room. He didn't like the fact that the bed faced the door. Also, one of our two sliding doors' locks were broken and we had to wait for maintenance to come fix it before I was comfortable enough to leave. We also had a huge patio, but only one chair. The hotel should definitely look into making better use of that huge space. Most of the other rooms have really small lanais that would only fit one chair so it makes sense. But for the two rooms (that I could see) on my floor that have the huge lanais, put more stuff out there so the space can actually be put to use.

Stupid thing that I do is check out other rooms when housekeeping is cleaning them. The room across the hall from us had a microwave. Stupid gripe maybe, but since I was specifically wanting a room with one, I was annoyed. Also, the bed wasn't facing the door. If we had gotten that room I would have been happier, but it probably didn't have our partial ocean view.

The building directly next door to Shoreline was gross. When standing at the edge of our lanai, and looking over, you see an old decrepit building with bird poop everywhere. We didn't use our lanai much due to lack of furniture and the gross building.

There was also construction going on, and the little alley leading to valet parking would be partially blocked a lot. This caused several occasions where super duper car maneuvering was required. It was pretty annoying, but I'm sure it's nothing the hotel can control.

Our AC also wasn't working the first day. I had to have front desk folks come in at 11:30 pm to fix it. While my son was sleeping and sweating. Another annoyance.

One of the valet guys also rarely ever smiled.

Pineapple iced tea in the lobby was great though :).

Overall, it was an OK stay. Location was the number one best thing. There aren't any dresser drawers to unpack your stuff, so we were literally living out of suitcases. And having to shove suitcases out of the way when I was done digging clothes out of them. I probably won't stay here again when there are so many other options in Waikiki with all of the things my family needs.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Colonial Heights, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We selected this hotel based on others' reviews and we were not disappointed. It was a clean, nicely renovated hotel with friendly, helpful staff . Many amenities are free (WI-FI, use of computer and printer downstairs, etc.) The refreshing water and ice tea and fruit basket were welcoming. We did not have a car and most everything was in walking distance. We took a city bus to Diamond Head. The front desk was so helpful in arranging us transportation to Pearl Harbor and the airport at reasonable rates. The day and evening valets were most helpful. They suggested good places to eat at reasonable rates, but we found some on our own, too. We had a wonderful stay at a reasonable price. We looked out of our window at hotel that rented for over $400 per night. Beautiful, but not in our budget.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Kanata, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We recently spent 4 nights at the shoreline Hotel in Honolulu, though it was a basic hotel compared to previous stays but it was all nice and pleasant, the room somewhat small but clean and comfortable with a little balcony as a bonus, beds were spacious and comfy, same with the bathroom, very basic but clean, staff members were very courtious and always eager to help especially at the reception and the valet, value wise in Hawaiian standards was good, however if you were to compare with mainland standards, you would be surprised especially with no breakfast included.
over all I would be more than happy to revisit Hawaii and stay there again.
One little tip for the Hotel administration, your 11th floor could use a new carpet, I am sure it will make a huge difference.

Room Tip: View is limited, so higher is definitely better....
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Just spent a week visiting family stationed at Kaneohe Bay, and I did not want a typical Waikiki resort hotel. I did not plan to use a rental car, & I did not want a spectacular view of Waikiki, as I planned on being out & about most of the time.
I was given a 9th floor room with a view of a rundown building next door, but that was the only downside of the stay. I was out all day, & most evenings, so the view was not my priority. Note: If you are a light sleeper, get a higher floor. This is a city, and yes, if you leave the lanai door open, you will hear a city at night, replete with the evil truck beepers.

The room was quite clean, and details like baseboards & doorjambs also showed evidence of frequent cleaning. Bath amenities were by Lather, and I had enough good quality towels. A thoughtful touch was a makeup remover packet. However, I did indulge in buying skincare from Nature Republic, a Korean cosmetics retail store in the Hyatt Regency, so I will not rate the hotel's products.
I found the staff surprisingly pleasant, everyone at least acknowledged me in hallways or common areas with a smile or a hello, usually both. Front desk staff was informative, and did not act in an overbearing manner at all. The lobby area was nicely decorated, and had a funky retro vibe that I liked, and the whole hotel seemed rather refreshing after the many typical 'Hawaiian' suites I've stayed in before. The cucumber mint H2O & Plantation pineapple iced tea in the lobby were again a thoughtful touch, and a gentle reminder to hydrate yourself in a tropical environment.
Heavenly was a small breakfast & lunch place next door, and the food was nicely health oriented & close by. however, it was rather pricey at $15 per entrée. I found an inexpensive local diner called Seaside a block away and had basic breakfast for $4.95 to $7.95.
I was really pleased with the location, I could walk or trolley/da bus/cab to just about anywhere on the strip easily. Royal Hawaiian shopping was at the end of the block, and behind that, the Pink Palace & Sheraton Waikiki, then the beach.
However, be adventurous, and look around the mauka side of the Waikiki strip on Kuhio & around Alawai canal. I found Thai Massage at Aisawan for half the price of the spas, I ate Korean BBQ at Hawaii 678 ( oh, pretty Kpop boys serve you, girls!) , Japanese Udon at Marukame, drank $5 maitais at Arnold's, $2 draft beer at the Tiki Bar ( Marriott?), and made an absolute pig of myself chowing plate lunch at the Rainbow Diner for $9.50.
There was also a Keurig, a microwave & small refrigerator in the room, which I used for breakfast food and late night snacks. Food Pantry is on Kuhio, 2 blocks East of Seaside ave. Yes, food is pricey compared to mainland, but again, step out of the box & try some local stuff. Why pay $6.95 to a restaurant for a papaya 1/2 with yogurt & granola, when you can just as easily buy the same and eat at least twice?
I might mention here that there are several places that are geared to Japanese tourists in the immediate area, but don't be afraid - try them. and most folks were quite interested in talking to me at the local Japanese bars, provided I behaved with good manners and said a few words in Japanese 1st.

To sum up, I would certainly stay here again, and I do recommend it, if you know Waikiki already, as I do. No, I am a native at all, I Just have travelled in the islands a lot. These guys have the aloha spirit.

Room Tip: Go high and ask for a mountain view if you want a view. Rooms ending with 21 & 22 are at the end...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Great location to explore Waikiki. A lot shopping and excellent places to eat. The room was extremely clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. The beach was just across the street and the price was awesome.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Shoreline H, Front Office Manager at Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Aloha Erika B,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We are happy to see that the hotels location, room cleanliness and friendly and helpful staff exceeded your expectations. If your travels bring you to Waikiki again please consider our hotel for another stay. Once again thank you for your review and we hope to see you in the near future.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was actually partly business, and partly a family trip. The company my husband was working for booked us at Shoreline. Apparently, a couple of people on the crew weren't too happy with the hotel, so we ended up getting moved later in our stay to the Hilton Waikiki Beach. However, we would have been perfectly happy staying at Shoreline! Hilton Waikiki Beach says, "No resort fees!" Well, there may not be resort fees, but there are fees for everything else, including internet. But guess what? You get free internet at Shoreline!

Shoreline is probably at least $100-$200 less than the Hilton. The rooms are much smaller at Shoreline and I do wish the bathroom was bigger (bathroom at Hilton was pretty incredible), but the air conditioner at Shoreline worked fantastic and so did the little fridge! (We had to have someone override a setting on our AC at the Hilton because no matter what we did, it wouldn't get cool enough, and we also had them bring in an old fridge because, for some reason, they replaced their "old" ones with updated ones that barely keep anything cool - we weren't even sure it was working at all!) The guy who brought the fridge in and changed the AC at the Hilton was super nice, but you would think for the price you pay to stay there, that stuff would work great! Plus, he even said when he brought a different fridge to us that the new ones they have don't keep your drinks cold (what's the point, then?). I want anything I put in there to be cold. It's a fridge for crying out loud!

Here's a comparison of the 2 hotels:
SHORELINE HILTON WAIKIKI BEACH
Free Internet Charge for internet use
Beds are SUPER COMFY (and we're very picky!) Beds were satisfactory
Air Conditioner ROCKS!!! AC doesn't work well
Little Fridge works great!!! Ask for different fridge-ones in rooms don't work!
Microwave No microwave
2 free Keurig coffees only in room Free single serve coffee each day in room
Free coffee anytime in lobby Nothing free in lobby anywhere
Free Cucumber Mint water in lobby everyday! Nope
Free Pineapple Iced Tea in lobby everyday! Nope
Sometimes had free pink lemonade in lobby Never
Views not so great Great view from our room
Good TV channels (Scenic Hawaii) Didn't have Scenic Hawaii channel my son wanted
Very nice staff Very nice staff
Super small balcony with 1 chair Bigger balcony with small table/2 chairs
Could have used more drawers with 3 of us More drawer space for clothes and stuff
Area surrounding hotel looked cleaner Area surrounding hotel not as clean
Royal Hawaiian Center/Food Court rt. down st. Shorter walk to beach
Great new restaurant next door (Heavenly)
Very close to Island Vintage Shave Ice (the best!)

Bottom Line: If I'm spending my own money, I'm going back to Shoreline!!! Alex, who works at the lobby desk was SO NICE!!! And so was Paul, the valet. Everyone else was VERY nice too, but I'm sorry that I don't know anyone else's name.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Shoreline H, Front Office Manager at Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Aloha JulieMatt2014,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and giving us a 5 star rating. It is pleasing to know that we were able to exceed your expectations even while being compared to another bigger full service hotel. We’ll make sure to extend your compliments to Alex and Paul and let them know to keep up the great work. If your travels bring you back to the Waikiki area please consider booking with us again. We hope to see you soon.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I booked this hotel going off the back of other reviews and I'm so glad I did. Lovely, modern hotel in a great location. Close to all the shops and just a 5-10 minute stroll down to Waikiki Beach. Staff were lovely too - we'd pre-booked a Pearl Harbor tour and got ourselves confused with pick up points and timings but the hotel reception called the company and sorted it all out for us, no problem. We had a late flight on the day of checkout so we were allowed to leave our suitcases in their luggage room, we came back to find my partner had left a pair of shoes in our room (!!) and they were bagged up on our suitcases along with a little note :-) A nice touch in the rooms were magnets with snippets of Hawaiian on them and a 'Hawaiian word of the day' on the chalkboard in the hotel lobby every morning.

Overall a great experience, I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha ksjv!
Thank you for your 5 star review. We are happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was able to provide you and yours with a memorable vacation. Please share your experience with your friends and famiy and we’ll make sure to extend them the same aloha spirit should they visit us as well.
Front Office Manager

Been to Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!