“July 2014” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

Save Saved
You added Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel to your Saves list
Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   342 Seaside Ave, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Formerly Seaside Hotel )   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
Book Direct and Save 30%
Ranked #14 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
“July 2014”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Despite reading some bad reviews we found this hotel to be perfect for our needs! Very helpful staff who helped us book a rental car and printed us directions on where to pick it up etc.

Clean rooms and an easy walk to the beach and all the shops! Would stay here again for sure.

Stayed July 2014

330 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My partner and I stayed here from 10th - 23rd June 2014. I picked this hotel because it had the best ratings (in my opinion) on Trip Advisor and was also a great price and looked a lot more modern than similarly priced hotels in Waikiki.
I was definitely not disappointed! The location is amazing, literally right in the middle of Waikiki, really close to bus stops to take you anywhere, and about a 6 minute walk to the beach.

I made sure to choose a partial ocean view room, as previous reviewers recommended and I'm glad I did! I could see the ocean, although obstucted by the Royal Hawaiian hotel and other buildings, but really, I wasn't fussed (and I rarely spent time on the balcony anyway). The room itself was small but I was aware of that and totally fine with it. We had a massive TV with heaps of channels (I love that Scenic Hawaii one! Much to the disappointment of my partner when I watched it all the time haha!) and OMG thank goodness for the free wifi! It was a massive life saver, especially since I planned and booked all our activities on my iPad! We also used the rooftop pool a few times - it was nice when there weren't any people up there.

The front desk staff are all really nice and helpful! I'm especially grateful that they allowed us to check in at 10am (our room was ready) as I was suffering jetlag and felt like a zombie and just wanted to sleep! Thumbs up!
Also the 3 different iced tea drinks in the lobby always made my day after coming in from the heat! As well as the free coffee, that was always handy in the morning!

I really can't fault this hotel at all. I really would have liked to see the restaurant that was being renovated downstairs, but I guess I'll check it out next time! I would absolutely stay here again if I returned to Waikiki!

Room Tip: Make sure to get a partial ocean view room, as the rooms facing the ocean direction on the lower flo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Shoreline H, Front Office Manager at Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Aloha Krissy P,
Thank you for your 5 star review. We appreciate your comments and are thrilled to know that the hotel suited your needs well. Your kind words will absolutely be shared with all of our staff here at the Shoreline Hotel Waikiki and I will advise our team to keep up the great work. Please let all of your friends and family know of our great property and we hope to see you again.
Mahalo,
Daniel Floren
Front Office Manager
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I love this hotel. I stay there every time I go to Honolulu.

Located a street back from the beach and within a minute from the major shopping precinct, the shoreline is a great place to stay.

It's affordable and the rooms are always clean and well presented. The rooms are a decent size and the bed is comfortable. The bathroom is presentable and modern. Free wifi is available at the shoreline also.

The cost is another bonus of booking at the shoreline. It is very affordable. It does not have a gym, but they offer you free vouchers to go to a near by gym.

The same staff are there every year we go. They embody the Hawaiian spirt! Always have a smile and nothing is to much. The lobby is clean and well presented offering complimentary coffee and tea.

I whole heartedly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a cute little hotel in the heart of Waikiki, just moments from the shops and beach.
The rooms are pretty average, which is to say comfy beds, typical modern hotel decor, and a clean modern bathroom. We had a room on the back of the hotel at 5th floor and there were no views as such, but it was quiet given the hotels downtown location.
There are lots of nice little touches that make this a step above similar chain hotels: free iced tea in the lobby, a black board in the lobby with information for the day (weather, sunset etc) and a small pool on the rooftop. But best of all are the staff, who were all super friendly and dealt with all of our requests quickly and efficiently.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I thoroughly researched and planned for months when picking this hotel. We chose it over a condo because of the reviews which raved about the comfy beds, great showers, courteous staff and cleanliness of the hotel. They're all wrong. My request for a room not facing Seaside Ave. wasn't honored but it was quiet enough, even being on the fifth floor. Most of the renovations were being done in the daytime which didn't disturb our sleep. Unfortunately, it was all downhill after check in.

The bathroom wasn't very clean when we arrived to our room. There was a light ring in the tub and a few hairs on the bathroom door. The toilet had some black stuff under the rim Housekeeping came up with a dry towel. He wiped the toilet, then the tub (with the same towel) and said it was 'just stains.' The next day, we got to the room at 3pm and our room still hadn't been cleaned. We were told they had until 5 so we sat on the balcony while they cleaned.

Cleaning consists of a light spray of the bathroom, making the bed, changing the towels and emptying the trash. They don't vacuum the sand from the carpet or thoroughly sweep the bathroom. They also don't change the sheets (we marked the inside of the sheet with a pen just as a joke). The cleaning staff also smokes on the balcony. We found an empty pack of cigarettes and butts on there our second day.

The customer service was almost as abysmal as the cleaning. When they didn't clean our tub at all one day, the manager Jerome asked 'What do you want me to do about it?' I asked him to send someone to clean it. He didn't until I made a second phone call hours later. He said it was 'mis-communication.' Another day they took our towels and didn't leave any washcloths. The front desk clerk Kristy sent someone up quickly but was very dismissive like I was bothering her.

The best thing about this hotel is the location but if you have Gucci and Prada money, you wouldn't stay here. The balcony is large but you may be greeted by a whiff of smoke from the guest next door. As you know, there are no dressers or tables and chairs. There are a few drawers though and our King city view room was larger than I thought. The bed is right next to the bathroom and there's no vent in there. The valet guys were nice as was Aly at the front desk. The lemon water was a welcome touch but I'd rather be greeted with a smile instead of being treated like a burden. We honestly dreaded coming to the room everyday. I would not recommend.

Room Tip: Our fifth floor room facing Ross was fairly quiet if the balcony door was shut. But my real tip woul...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Shoreline H, Front Office Manager at Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Aloha ladylovesrome,
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your review. It is unfortunate that we were unable to exceed your expectations during your stay. The comments about our housekeeping department have been shared with our Executive Housekeeper this enables our hotel as a whole to pinpoint the areas in which we are lacking and allows us to improve the guest experience. To clarify your comments regarding room requests, a ”request” is not a “guarantee” when a booking is made for a city view room with a “request” for a room not facing the city or Seaside Ave one is asking for a room type that does not exist. Please keep that in mind when traveling into an urbanized area such as Waikiki or consider booking a partial ocean view room. Also after conversing with my front office team it is apparent that numerous solutions were offered by our Assistant Front Office Manager and Front Office Supervisor to rectify the issues with the cleaning of your room, however they were declined by the guest which explains the reason my team did not have the issue at hand solved. While it is disturbing that we were unable to provide you with the exceptional service we are known for, your comments are absolutely used as a way to improve our services. If your travels bring you to Waikiki again please consider giving the Shoerline another chance thank you for your review.

Mahalo,
Daniel Floren
Front Office Manager
Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I could not have been more delighted with my stay at Shoreline. The reception staff were very welcoming, the room was clean, comfortable and very quiet. The balcony was small but enough to sit on and take in the sounds and sights of Waikiki (although Waikiki is so easy to walk around). The hotel is ideally situated, just a short stroll to the beach (passing lots of shops along the way). It is also close to restaurants and convenience stories. Better still, the Ross store opposite the hotel was open to 1:00am. The staff were very knowledgeable and their suggestion of Duke's restaurant on Waikiki beach turned out to be a highlight. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to solo travellers or couples.

Room Tip: had a corner room on the 5th floor for my first visit which was very spacious and one on the 11th...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Crystal Lake, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We really enjoyed our stay here. Friendly staff, clean, and close to everything you want to see. The receptionist remembered me mentioning that it was our one year wedding anniversary and the very next day she had it on the announcement board to congratulate us. The kind of stuff that people remember. If we visit Waikiki again we will definitely book here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upgrade to have a partial ocean view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!