“Excellent Value, great location, staff and rooms” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

You added Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel to your Saves list
Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   342 Seaside Ave, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Formerly Seaside Hotel )   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Book Direct, get 20% off
Ranked #13 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
“Excellent Value, great location, staff and rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Really impressed with the value for money aspect of this hotel!
Sure it's a refurbished building a couple of streets back from the beach, but it's stylish, close to everything and has that 5star boutique feel about it!
The room we had was large, furnished in a trendy classic fashion and included all the usual things you need for a week or so break!
Impressed by the wifi (both the free service and the connection speed), the friendly staff, and the overall deal!
(Sure the pools not a draw card, but it does have one, and after all who goes to Hawaii to swim in a pool when the beaut beaches are only a 5 or so minute stroll away?)
We are already booking our next stay here!
Thanks to the staff, service and accommodation provisions, really had a blast and can't wait to come back!!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Shoreline H, Front Office Manager at Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Aloha Stuey62,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you were impressed by the hotels complimentary amenities and friendly staff. We take great pride when we are compared to 5 star hotels and each and every one of our employees loves going the extra mile ensuring that each and every one of our guests has a memorable experience.

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Although, we did not stay here, a friend of mine and myself recently found ourselves in a bit of precdicament and the wonderful staff at the Shoreline kindly helped us out. We were flying out of Honolulu around 2330 but we had to check out of our condo by 12 and they had no luggage storage. The Shoreline was a building over and they kindly let us store our luggage for the day at no charge. It made our last day in Waikiki more enjoyable not having to tow our luggage around and knowing it was safe. Next year I will definitely consider this hotel with it's lovely atmosphere, great location and super friendly staff.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Aloha Caliali1,

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding our hotel and staff. It was our pleasure to be able to assist you during your last day as many of our guests are reluctant to leave our beautiful island. I am thrilled to hear that you will be considering staying with us during your next Hawaiian vacation. For our best available rates please feel free to contact the hotel directly.

Mahalo,

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We had two rooms for three days, the free coffee, cold water and news papers daily were a nice touched. Staff extremely helpful and personal as oppose to large hotels. Rooms are modern and clean. We enjoyed our stay! Thanks

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Aloha Carel B,

I’d like to thank you for allowing us to accommodate you and your parties during your vacation, it was our pleasure. I am happy you found the little touches the Shoreline offers helpful. Being a smaller property we know that it usually is the smaller things that bigger hotels forget that go a long way when one travels. From all of the Shoreline Hotel Waikiki Staff Aloha!

Burke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

My wife and I had an excellent stay at the Shoreline Hotel. Having read the Trip Advisor reviews before we went, it met our expectations. It is very reasonably priced, and the location in the center of Waikiki, along with the big name hotels. The room was clean. The bed was excellent. The shower was powerful and hot. Daily servicing of the room was just right. The desk staff was young, attentive, knowledgeable, and very nice. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for the things that I just described. I would stay at the Shoreline again.

Hotel is just a few blocks from Waikiki beach. The hotel provides free beach towels for you to use. The hotel is just a block from the Royal Hawaiian Center, which is a major shopping and restaurant center. The Royal Hawaiian hotel puts on a free, top-notch Hawaiian music and dance show at the Center five nights a week at 6PM. I believe that each of these free shows is of higher quality than any show you could pay to see on the Island.

The Shoreline is only two blocks from Lewers St and one block from Kalikaua Ave, which are major shopping streets. There is also a McDonalds less than a block away. It is easy to get from the Shoreline Hotel to the highways that take you to every part of the island. Recommend you use a GPS for guiding your driving.

Trip Advisor reviews of the Shoreline do include a number of reviews which indicate issues exist. Some were due to unrealistic expectations. However, when you go to a restaurant or a hotel, you get a feel for how the hotel management views and implements their role. Same is true for the Shoreline. I noticed a few things that I wondered about, so I asked one of the desk staff who owns the hotel? The answer was surprising, and explanatory. It was: "The owners of this hotel are anonymous. It is managed by the Joie de Vivre company." I believe that this explains many of the negative reviews. I politely suggested an improvement to a desk clerk, who politely responded "That is above my pay grade." In my nine days at the hotel, I never saw anyone who looked like a manager.

The parking situation for the hotel is a problem. It has limited parking spaces. You have to check with the hotel every day to see if they have space for your car. If not, you park across the street, where you pay daily, ONLY IN CASH and no bills larger than a $20. Management should settle which option you will use before you arrive, and if you park across the street, you should be able to pay the hotel, who then pays the other parking garage.

Once I asked the desk clerk to change a $100 bill for some $20 bills so I could pay the garage. They didn't have enough twenties to change the $100 bill. I was really surprised by this.

Another small but easily fixable problem is that the soap dish by the sink in our room was a simple flat bottomed plastic box with no drain holes or raised bars to keep the soap above the water which drains off a used bar of soap. Thus the bar of soap was always a bit soft.

I believe that the issues that I have listed here are easily fixable. I have written them here, not as complaints, but as suggestions for improvement. I would recommend the hotel to others, and would stay there again, even if the small issues were not removed or ameliorated.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor. There was some street noise, but not much. It is possible that a h...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

With so many hotels in the area, this hotel definitely will keep me coming back due to their friendly staff and clean atmosphere. The location is very central to Waikiki. P.s-I liked the keurig coffee in the lobby ;)

• Stayed February 2014
Aloha Gragusa1,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. With the competitive nature that is Waikiki hotels I am thrilled to know that you will be staying with us again. Our front desk hosts and housekeepers always do their very best to ensure a comfortable, clean, and alluring guest experience.

Mahalo,

Daniel Floren,
Edmond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Very clean but petite hotel room, all amenities were excellent including shower and bed. Not much storage space, but has safe, microwave, and frig. Our maid service could have used a little work as we were regularly shorted a towel or washcloth, do not believe maid spoke good English, but a call to front desk always resulted in prompt service. A/C was not working first day but was attended to by management the next day. Keurig coffee machine and ice water in lobby is a nice touch. Comfortable lobby, wireless internet in rooms.

Room Tip: Very busy access street (Seaside) with lots of service vehicles and tour bus pickups so try to avoid...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Excellent hotel! I needed a place to stay in Waikiki for a couple of nights, and I’m glad I chose Shoreline. At this price point in Waikiki, one would expect a standard room with standard service. However, Shoreline far exceeded my expectations. The vintage modern design of the lobby was warm and welcoming. It gave off a hip/cool vibe that sets itself apart from the other (mostly outdated) hotels in the area. The guest room was just the right size, and had all the amenities I needed. Above everything, though, was the staff’s extraordinary level of customer service. They knocked it out of the park. Everyone seemed genuine, and went out their way to make sure that I had a pleasant stay. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!