“Really wonderful service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

You added Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel to your Saves list
Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   342 Seaside Ave, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Formerly Seaside Hotel )   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Let's Be Direct
Ranked #16 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lenoir, North Carolina
“Really wonderful service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

The front desk people were very kind, the rooms were lovely, the view not so great but, you have to understand that if you want to be in the center of the shopping area and steps away from the beach, you have to give up something.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Yackandandah, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights for our honeymoon and we were very happy with everything. The staff were very helpful and friendly and the best part was the bed!!! So comfy! There was some noise at night but you are in a city and it was a very busy weekend with the pearl Harbor anniversary and the Honolulu marathon. It takes about 5-10 mins to walk to beach but I thinks its worth being slightly out of the hustle and bustle. One of the beyter priced places too!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Everyone wants to be on the beach in Waikiki, but those prices! The Shoreline is a great little hotel, just steps from shopping, great food and a very short walk to the beach. The rooms are small but very clean and funky and the staff is second to none. We had such great service while we were there that we would recommend it to anyone. Fun, modern decor and a cute little pool on the roof - we loved the Shoreline and felt like we found a real gem in Waikiki.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I recently stayed at the Shoreline, I thought the rooms were adequate but seemed like a standard upgrade to a 60's style hotel (it is considered a modern style hotel which is harder to find in Waikiki). I had a great experience at the Shorebreak hotel in Huntington Beach which is super modern and beautiful, but this hotel is a far cry from that location. As far as most of the reviews of this Shoreline Waikiki go, everything is fairly accurate about the easiness to the beach and shops.

I did have an incident which led me to believe that the hotel wasn't being totally honest with me and after all the accolades of "exceptional service" and the manager personally responding to so many Tripadvisor reviews, it was a shame to see this happen.

Please note that I did ask for something which was considered an "extra", although I have found through extensive travels that people are usually willing to help without resistance. My situation was that it happened to be torrentially raining this one day in Waikiki and my ride to get me was a few hours away. I asked for a late check out. I went to the front desk and asked the agent and he looked at my reservation and told me he was sorry, my room had someone coming in and said that 12:30 would have been the latest he could possibly do (regular checkout at Shoreline is 12pm). I felt he was not being honest as it seemed his response was a bit canned, so about 1/2 an hour later, I came back down again and asked a different guy. He too looked at the reservation and said he could do 1pm without hesitation. So it seems where one guy was willing to extend for another hour and another guy was simply lying to my face to kick me out 1/2 an hour early.

I feel almost as important as the great rooms is the integrity of the staff that work at hotels. I just hate being lied to after spending good money in choosing the hotel. Waikiki has many great hotels, some right on the beach. I guess I'm picky but because of this incident and the idea that we vote with our dollars to businesses that we'd like to support, I'd be reluctant to stay here again.

What's that adage?
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

― Maya Angelou

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Broadbeach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I have just come back from my first visit to Hawaii and stayed at the Shoreline. I cannot stop raving about the service here. the staff were amazing and very approachable. The standard of the room were great, everything needed to enjoy my stay although could be a little bigger to fit in all the bags of shopping. The location is spot on with access straight to the strip and right round the corner form the international markets and T-Galleria. Also just at the end of the road is the new H and M which is soon to open. Restaurant are in easy location and also the trolly picks up and drops off just at the bottom of the road. Honestly will be heading back here soon. Thanks for making my first time to Hawaii an amazing one.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel twice in the last few weeks. The first time the room was clean, bathroom spacious and the ladies at check in were just lovely. We were even given a gift of chocolates and a card - such a nice touch
People have said the views are bad - i think the views are fine, unless you are on the ocean you will not get a true ocean view and for a busy stay this hotel is just what you need
Pros -
Good Location
Good Air conditioning
Nice Decor
Friendly Housekeeping Staff
They use fitted sheets which I think is excellent & the beds are very comfy
Susan is lovely she even accepted a parcel for me
Cons -
Jerome at the front desk was passive aggressive unfriendly and offensive
Room types & sizes aren't consistent (odd shaped)
Bathroom in King Rooms so small it was hard to fit through door
Bathroom was dirty and clogged with hair when we complained we looked at 3 other rooms until one was similar to move to (again all dd shapes)
The advanced purchase rates are not charged at the time so you think you have paid but you have not (frustrating with fluctuating currency) - we tried to pay later that day but they would not take payment until we checked out even though we said we would be leaving early and wanted no delays
Wifi is patchy
When we asked to speak to management and emailed them no response or reply email
This is all a shame as I love boutique properties and this has such potential

I would not stay here again as I was in tears after the room situation - with the filthy bathroom and asked to check out but Jerome kept insisting we look at more rooms and would not let us pay to upgrade - no compassion and left a very bad feeling

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Shoreline H, Front Office Manager at Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Aloha AbundanceAbundance,
Please do accept my apologies for my haste in responding to your review. I’d like to personally thank you for describing all the pros while staying with us here at the Shoreline as many other reviews are similar. I would just like to mention that my Assistant Front Office Manager Jerome loved going the extra mile for you and your husband who I understand had an injury during your outer island adventure. Thank you for giving us the opportunity host you. We look forward to seeing you on your next Hawaiian vacation.
Mahalo,
Daniel Floren
Front Office Manager
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Shoreline was an awesome place to stay. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel has recently been renovated so it was modern and fresh. We stayed 8 nights and while we did hear a bit of traffic noise from the street at night I think that most hotels would experience this due to how busy Waikiki is. The bed was very comfortable and the wifi worked well. The aircon was efficient and we found if we put it on low air flow it kept a good temperature during the night. Overall would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: A room nearer the top of the building might be less noisy at night. We were on the 9th floor.