“Exactly what we wanted” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

Save Saved
You added Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel to your Saves list
Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   342 Seaside Ave, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Formerly Seaside Hotel )   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Book Direct and Save 15%
Ranked #13 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Brisbane, Australia
“Exactly what we wanted”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

This place was just perfect for our needs an wants. Very friendly staff clean and very tidy rooms. Off the main beach area so we found the rooms to be quite which baled a great night sleep.

We didn't pay an extra for the views so can't really comment on the ocean views.

Would book again for sure.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Shoreline H, Director of Rooms at Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Aloha Leigh M!

Mahalo for posting such an amazing 5-star review! Unlike other hotels in Honolulu, guests often say Shoreline reminds them of a beach house, because of its optic white facade and streaming natural light. Chic minimalist interiors transport you from the clutter of everyday. There’s everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Curl up in one of our lounge chairs. With gentle breezes from your own private lanai, this is your island escape. Come back again soon!

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location - just off the main shopping area in Waikiki. Our room was small but clean - nothing fancy but it had everything we needed. The front desk staff were helpful and friendly. The only (minor) problem was the parking. Their valet lot holds about 4 cars, so it was always full. We were given a voucher to park in the parkade across the street (for $24/day, which I think is more than the hotel's lot), but everyone seemed to have a different story as to what to do with the voucher, when to pay, whether we'd get towed, etc. It ended up working out fine but if you're the valet guy on duty at the hotel you should probably know what the deal is, and the hotel staff should make sure the people who work at the parkade know what the agreement is with the hotel (one lady told us we'd get towed even if we displayed the voucher). All in all it was a convenient place to stay in Waikiki.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha evfrgsn!

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience at the Shoreline! I apologize for the parking situation. Unfortunately, parking is at a premium in Waikiki - especially at the Shoreline. We have a few more parking stalls than what you mentioned, but nonetheless, our parking is very limited. Our onsite parking is valet only and $26 per night. Since our parking is limited, we have an arrangement with the office building across the street for our guests to park overnight for $24 per night. I am unsure as to why there was so much confusion regarding this, but I can assure you that we will use your feedback as a tool for re-training our team. I have also contacted the manager of the garage across the street to provide your feedback to her as well.

The next time you visit Waikiki, please come stay with us again! We would love to have you back!

Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Hubby and I requested a room on a high level and got one on level 13 which was great. You can see a bit of the ocean and. The room we had (1327) had a huge deck whereas most of the other rooms only have a small balcony. The room is really small but clean. Couple of stains on the carpet. Nice bathroom but no fan in it so we just kept the door open during baths and showers. Staff was very helpful and friendly! Great location, minutes away from Waikiki beach, Starbucks, the shopping strip etc. A cab ride from the airport to the hotel is about $45. The food at the restaurant "Cha Cha Cha" downstairs is really good.

Car rental/parking:

There is an enterprise rent a car up the street. If you want a Mustang, you better try to reserve one before you get here because they always sell out fast! We had to wait for ours for 2 days. In the meantime, we rented a Jeep Wrangler. The Jeep and the Mustang both go for $150 a day at enterprise. I definitely recommend renting a car to get to the really nice beaches. Waikiki is not bad but it's not my favorite.

The hotel charges $24 a day for valet parking. A way better option is to park in the underground parking lot of the Marine Surf Waikiki which is right beside Shoreline for $5 a day. Get in there after 5pm and buy a ticket ($5 bill only, no change at machine) which will say it's good until 2am. It is actually good until about 11am. It just needs to be purchased at or after 5pm and not earlier. Very important, park in a stall that says ``Pay parking``, you will get towed from the other ones. We parked there for a week and it worked out great and saved us a lot of money. If you ever forget to buy your ticket, you will get a warning in form of a green sticker first before they tow you the next time.

Definitely go to Kailua/Lanikai beach! My favorite beach! Get a map or google where it is. 35 min drive from the hotel. We just used our IPhone map to get around everywhere. You will first hit Kailua beach which is beautiful and if you keep driving for a minute or two, you will get to Lanikai. Both beaches are super nice! Grab lunch or dinner at Buzz's Original Steakhouse right by Kaliua beach, great food!

Hanauma Bay is awesome for snorkeling! You can rent fins, masks and snorkels there, $12 for the set for a day. Admission to Hanauma Bay is $7.50 a person. If the parking lot is full, park down the street by the gas station and take a cab up.

The North Shore is beautiful too, we went cage diving with sharks with North Shore Shark Adventures which was amazing!!

Definitely enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would come back for sure.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha twooutofthree!

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor! I enjoyed reading your comments. You had some excellent recommendations. The views from the higher floors certainly are amazing. I have just a couple more points I would like to add regarding car rental & parking. Some travelers find it more affordable to rent a car at the airport rather than the city locations. However, if you only require the rental car for the day, it is certainly more convenient to rent at one of the many locations in Waikiki. The Shoreline does have very limited valet parking available for $26. Due to the limited space, we have an arrangement with the garage across the street to accommodate our guests overnight for $24. It sounds like you found an even more economical option - kudos to you!

I must say out of all the beaches on Ohau, I too am a big fan of Lanikai! This is absolutely a must see if you plan to get out and explore the windward side of the island. You really did touch on many of the great experiences outside of Waikiki. Some other suggestions would be to check out the Pearl Harbor Memorial and USS Arizona. Also, if you are looking for more of an adventure, I would recommend one of the many hiking trails. One of my personal favorites is Makapuu Lighthouse Trail.

Come back again soon! There's so much more to see!

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This is my first trip to Hawaii and if you are looking for a quaint, comfortable stylist hotel then this is definitely the hotel for you. My partner and I stayed in the standard room and it had all the basic necessities - Comfy bed, microwave, fridge, nice sized bathroom with large mirror, small lanai, tv with cable and a/c. They even had a radio that you were able to charge and place your ipod/iphone on. The location was excellent, walking distance to nearly everything and Ross was straight across the hotel!! The staff were very helpful and we stayed 8 nights so they had memorised our room number so never asked for it when booking towels and returning them. The room is small and intimate so was a perfect size for my partner and I. We really enjoyed our stay and can't wait to come again!

Room Tip: There is a roof top pool which really wasn't advertised, in order to access it you must go to to...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha DoryneM!

Well, thank you for posting such a nice review! We appreciate it very much! After 8 nights with us, we consider you part of our ohana (family). This just means you will have to come back and visit more often. We'll see you soon!

Willis, Texas, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

The hotel is located a short walk from the Royal Hawaiian hotel and the beautiful Waikiki beach. We had to pay a stiff parking fee but the cost of the hotel was so reasonable that I can't complain. The staff was extremely nice and helpful.The rooms were clean and bright. We could see the beach and ocean from our window. Shoreline is not a fancy resort hotel but all the resort goodies are only a couple of blocks away. It is a good value.

Room Tip: The upper floors have a better view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha William K!

Thank you so much for sharing your comments! I am happy to hear that our staff was extremely nice and helpful. They definitely are an amazing group of people! Our valet parking is $26 per night, which certainly can be a bit steep, but we are priced competitively and in many cases much lower than other hotels in Waikiki. Since we are centrally located, many guests prefer to skip the rental car. We hope to welcome you back to the Shoreline again soon!

San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

The Shoreline Waikiki is a Joie de Vivre hotel & I'm a longtime Joy of Life member, so imagine my surprise when I discovered that JDV had not one, but TWO hotels in Honolulu, the other being the Coconut Waikiki Hotel on Lewers. Both are fairly recent additions to the chain. In any case, I always find it difficult staying in Hawaii, where hotels boast luxury, comfort & style, but in reality offer horrid '70s decor with rattan furniture, Aloha comforters & dingy kitchenettes at a price that will cost you your arm & leg. I know for a fact based on my experiences in California-based JDV hotels that each is uniquely decorated & always staffed with top-notch people to ensure the quality of your stay, which is why I chose the Shoreline.

We arrived in the evening & were welcomed with a bottle of chardonnay because of my membership. Our City View Queen room was true to the photos posted on the site & very clean. We had rented a car & required valet parking for our stay, & each valet who'd helped us was extremely helpful in giving us their own take on the lay of the land. Another plus for the hotel is its location. Across the street is a Ross & Starbucks, but right around the corner is Kalakaua Avenue, which is home to all things fine dining & high-end shopping. Everything is just a walk away! However, an issue we faced was that our room lacked ventilation, so we immediately noticed that the shower curtain smelled as though it'd been left in the dryer but not properly dried. We tried to air the room out as much as possible, but given that the sliding door to our balcony had no screen & opened out to look upon apartments, we couldn't keep the door open for very long. I suppose I could have said something about this, but didn't bother because I figured this would only happen again when the shower curtain got wet after bathing. Another issue I had was with the air conditioning. Once you activate it with your key card to turn it on, it cools the room to whatever temperature you set, but then switches off when it reaches that temperature. The room would get just as warm & muggy as it did cool, so it would've been nice if it were just consistently cold. Despite these two issues, I'd definitely stay here again because of the style, value & warm staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Aloha Chrissie C!

We are so lucky to have such wonderfully loyal guests! Thanks for staying with us and thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad you mentioned our style! The Shoreline sparkles after a multi-million dollar renovation, completed in spring of 2013. Award-winning architect Anthony Laurino restored and added many luxe finishes to the ‘70s tropical-modernist building. Plush rugs and sculptural pendants infuse island chic. Free in-room wi-fi, iPhone docks, and flatscreen TV’s also come standard. Come see us again soon!

Mahalo
Director of Rooms

PS. Say aloha for us to our friends at the Moorpark Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel right there in your own backyard in San Jose.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We recently visited the Shoreline Hotel in Waikiki and we would have to say that it was a great experience. My wife and I have both been to Hawaii several times before so we were not looking for a resort experience and were in town for a wedding. We needed a comfortable, quiet hotel that was conveniently located. This hotel was perfect for all of the requirements. It's located in the middle of Waikiki, easy to walk to all of the shops, great valet service, very friendly and helpful staff (ask for Kristy, she was the best!), and clean and comfortable rooms (By the way, the beds are very comfortable). The overall experience was perfect and extremely reasonably priced! My wife and I would definitely come back and stay again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Aloha jeckees!

Thanks for the "perfect" review! Kristy at the Front Desk was especially flattered when she read your comments. Thanks for recognizing her! I agree that she truly is one of the best. You will have to escape your cold New York winter and come for some more "perfect" weather here in Waikiki! We would love to have you back again anytime!

Director of Rooms

Been to Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!