“Huge and beautiful” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Go Oahu Card
Ranked #31 of 264 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Part of the University of Hawaii, the Lyon Arboretum offers 194 acres and a research facility.
Honolulu
8 attraction reviews
“Huge and beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I went to this twice and estimate that I saw about 20% of it. It is 194 acres with an extensive trail system. It is mostly wooded and has over 5000 plant species. I think I could have easily spend a week here and visiting this again is one of the main reasons I want to travel to Oahu in the future. I found it very interesting that the annual rainfall here is 165 inches and at Waikiki about five miles away the annual rainfall is listed as 24 inches. The fee is voluntary. Note: the map gives a general idea of the layout but is not an accurate representation so it can be difficult to accurately locate yourself at times. Also, the map has a note that not all trails have been mapped.

• Indonesian first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“great hike and flora.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

A great place to check out the flora in Hawaii while taking in a good hike in the Manoa Valley.I can get hot so bring a water bottle and walking shoes. Lots of plants and birds to see. A very easy hike, no so strenuous.

Visited November 2013
illinois
4 attraction reviews
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I wasn't expecting to enjoy the arboretum quite so much! I do love flowers but... the trails at the Lyon are about more than flowers. We went on several of the trails though, to be honest, I hadn't planned to. I walk with a cane and expected to sit alone while my friend hiked. Several of the staff encouraged me on short walks indicating that the trails weren't difficult. I was doubtful but made the first trek slowly along the ecotrail and found it easy. Before I knew it, I'd navigated one of the major trails through the gorgeous forest. There were plenty of places to rest and nothing was as difficult as I expected. I saw that others, including parents with kids in strollers, had also navigated the trails. To say that this visit was worthwhile is an understatement. The trees, the foliage, the flowers, the birds, the smells, the little rest areas (even one with a Buddha)... truly delightful. I'd never been in a rain forest before and this one was certainly amazing. So lush! So peaceful! I loved every minute. I thank the staff for their encouragement and I hope to come back again.

Visited November 2013
Los Angeles, California
10 attraction reviews
“Short Drive from Downtown Honolulu - Well Worth It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Spectacular setting, easy walking, informative. Small donation is suggested. Plan on an hour or two max. Bring insect repellant. After your visit, support the arboretum and buy a beverage or souvenir at their gift shop.

Collinsville, Illinois
15 attraction reviews
“Beautiful but hard to get to”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Lyon arboretum is a must if you want to see a rain forest setting in Honolulu. The foliage is beautiful and every tree and bush seems better than the last. If you're into birds its good for that- white rumped shamas, bulbuls, common waxwings, etc. The only problem is getting there. We tried 3 cabs and none of the drivers had any idea what we were talking about. The breakthrough came when my wife remembered that its at the end of Manoa road. Ask for that and everyone knows where you want to go, just make them continue past Manoa Falls to the end of the road. The cabbie gave us his card and we called him when we were ready to leave. He was there in 15 minutes. He told us he had been driving cabs in Honolulu for 15 years and had never been to or ever heard of the arboretum.