“Lyon Arboretum was beautiful!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 155 attractions in Honolulu
Type: Gardens, Educational Sites
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Part of the University of Hawaii, the Lyon Arboretum offers 194 acres and a research facility.
Atlanta, Georgia
25 attraction reviews
“Lyon Arboretum was beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

Lyon Arboretum is my kind of vacation activity. Off the beaten path, no throngs of tour buses parked in the parking lot. I feel like this is the kind of place I had in mind when I decided to visit Hawaii, and I'm sure many others would agree. I did a self-guided tour, and I was lucky that it wasn't raining the day I was there. I wandered around for an hour or so, and I could have easily stayed longer if it wasn't for the bugs (mosquitos?). I'm not sure if regular bug spray would've done the trick, but I'll definitely try it the next time I come!

Lots of birds in the area, so this is probably great for anyone into bird watching as well. I really enjoyed taking photos of the plants, trees, etc. Very picturesque and very peaceful. Highly recommend, and wear comfortable walking shoes.

Visited November 2011

North Vancouver, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“A great off-the-beaten-path spot for a real sense of Hawai'i”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

An arboretum is a great place to get a sense of native flowers and plants and trees, and to walk quietly and safely away from the hustle and bustle. This is true of the Arnold Arboretum in Boston, and especially true of the Lyon Arboretum in Honolulu. It is way off the beaten path -- all the way at the furthest end of Manoa Valley, probably 25 minutes uphill and into the mountains -- but still technically in the city.

We set off on one of the many walks -- there are numerous paths, some which offer shorter paths and some longer, more energetic walks. In the first few hundred feet, we passed lots of people working on plantings and maintenance, but after that, we were alone. Really alone, surrounded by huge trees, amazing gigantic leaves, flowers, plants.

For us, the best things were the solitude and the very thoughtful signs identifying and explaining the plants and trees you pass. Even more fun -- many of the signs have QR codes -- point your smartphone's QR reader at them, and a web page opens that explains the history of the plant, it's origins, how endangered it is, and so on.

A great way to spend an afternoon. The fee is only "suggested", as far as we could tell. On the day we were there, we put $15 into the box for the 3 of us, but nobody said we had to, and we didn't receive any ticket or receipt. I don't know what would happen if you didn't want to pay -- they'd probably say "welcome" anyway, but because it is such a great resource, I can't imagine going there and not chipping in at least a token amount.

Visited December 2011
Honolulu
9 attraction reviews
“Best Place to See Native Hawaiian Plants!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

It is a botanical garden & University of Hawaii research center, so there many native Hawaiian plants, as well as other interesting SE Asian plants & trees. Sprawling gardens set in beautiful Manoa Valley; check out their gift shop for homemade jams & jellies.

Visited December 2011
Ston Easton, United Kingdom
“Peaceful and beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Travelled here twice on my stay in honolulu, got the number 5 bus and got off on the last stop. Paid a donation ($5) to have a guided tour, which was very worth it. Even though the first time it rained for 2 hours!!.

Be prepared for bugs, though i didnt get bitten and to get wet!!! Umbrellas are provided.

Overall, very nice place to visit and get away from the crowds at Waikiki

Visited November 2011
5 attraction reviews
“Beach Getaway.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011 via mobile

This place is amazingly beautiful and if you have a car, quite easy to reach. It's somewhat like walking thru a tropical jungle with the most wonderful flora & fauna. Be aware this is not your touristy, well manicured garden. Shoes for walking are recommended and with all the rain it can be somewhat muddy /slippy. Not good maybe for people with disabilities or who are unsteady on their feet.