“Very happy with our selection here” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Diamond Head Bed And Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Diamond Head Bed And Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Diamond Head Bed And Breakfast to your Saves list
3240 Noela Dr., Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Diamond Head - Kapahulu - St. Louis)   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Honolulu B&B and Inns
Syracuse NY
“Very happy with our selection here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

We have family in Honolulu and when they heard we chose a B and B instead of the big hotels they were perplexed. We on the other hand couldn't have been happier. The neighborhood of this B and B is quite upscale and easy walks to the large and beautiful Kapeolani Park and the beaches, Diamondhead and other locations. We stayed in Princess Ruth suite which was large, clean (tho' a little worn) and very comfortable. We never heard the other guests at night and felt like we had complete privacy. We loved the lanai and the gigantic bed! We agree with the other reviewers that if you aren't a B and B person or even if you are...this one is quite informal. You do feel like a visitor or guest in Joanne's home. We found her to be helpful while non-intrusive and loved Sumiko's "sassy" commentary which was usually right on target! Frankly, I just don't get those extremely negative reviews on TA and found the others to give honest and good feedback.

Room Tip: All rooms looked nice. The upstairs do require you carrying your luggage up.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Moncton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

We stayed for three nights at this quaint B and B on our honeymoon. The hosts, Joanne and Sumiko were very friendly and offered lots of local knowledge. The style is eclectic and beachy, but homey and comfortable. A bit of a walk from the downtown attractions, which allows you to appreciate the city in a different way. Our room (the Makai Suite) had a private balcony which we enjoyed immensely, and a spacious room to spread out. The meals in the morning always provided more than enough food, and a charming chat with the hosts and other guests. It was a great start to our 10-day stay in Hawaii.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

I stayed at Diamond Head for two night. Hosts Joanne and Sumiko were welcoming and helpful. I arrived there quite early in the morning; Joanne offered me breakfast and allowed me to check in much earlier than I had expected. Knowing I was coming in early, she had arranged the room to be cleaned the day before. Throughout my stay, both Joanne and Sumiko were extremely helpful and full of interesting and useful information about the island and things to do.

Yes, the B&B is a little worn. It's not a standard hotel. It's a private home that's been turned into a B&B. Joanne has lived here for a long time and it's reflected in the decor and furnishing. However, the room (the Princess Ruth) was huge, and the lanai large and private. The furnishing have seen better days, but personally I felt the size, privacy, and quiet made up for it. It's not a place to stay for travelers who want lots of amenities or need many special accommodations. It's about a 15 minute walk to Waikiki Beach, but there is a bus stop relatively close (I didn't try it). The birds will wake you up in the morning, which I enjoyed. Something to keep in mind is that the two rooms (not Grandpa's Apartment) are upstairs and travelers will need to carry their bags up the stairs, a consideration for travelers with heavy bags or bad backs. There isn't anyone to help you with that. A car would probably be helpful if you plan to see anything other than Waikiki beach or the downtown area.

During my stay, breakfast consisted of plenty of fresh fruit and bread, as well as something hot (one day eggs, one day stuffed peppers, one day fried plantains). It was all healthy and hearty. Joanne joins guests for breakfast and is full of suggestions of places to visit, based on travelers' preferences. Sumiko was kind and helpful to me.

Overall, this was one of the quirkier travel experiences I've had; however, once I got over my initial surprise and took the experience for what it was, I enjoyed it. I recommend it for travelers who are looking for a slightly offbeat experience and don't mind sacrificing a little privacy for a more personal view of Hawaii.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Bridgewater, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

For anyone who embraces opportunities to experience a town as a resident, rather than a tourist, this bed and breakfast is a great find. Joanne and Sumiko were very welcoming and the room was huge and comfortable. I awoke to a chorus of different birds and a view of Diamond Head from my bed. Breakfast each morning gave my husband and I had opportunity to try some local specialties and produce, such as apple bananas and scones from the Diamond Head Market. My days there were a nice contrast to the previous week at a hotel in Waikiki.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

We LOVED our stay at the Diamond Bed and Breakfast. Other reviewers who didn't like this place were probably reacting to the somewhat "quirky" style of the proprietress, her family, or her elderly assistant, the sassy but charming Sumiko. For us, all of those mentioned only added to the incredibly charm of this place.
On every point, this place was off the charts for us, starting with the huge comfortable room (complete with bedroom, living room, and bathroom) provided for just $130 a night. Unlike some other places we stayed in Hawaii, this place was very quiet, because of its location in an upscale neighborhood at the foot of Diamond Head. The only noise was the sound of tropical birds in the morning -- a wonderful way to awaken to a new day! (I DON'T mean the roosters who are such a pest in Maui and Kauai -- there were none around.)
This is truly a bed and breakfast in the classic sense, with breakfast included in the very reasonable price of the room. And the breakfasts, prepared by the hostess and her assistant, were superb. More food was provided than we could possibly eat -- all fresh and well prepared. We ate together with the other guests, all of whom were long time patrons of this place, back for their third or fourth visit. That alone should certainly constitute a strong recommendation to anyone seeking a bed and breakfast place in Honolulu. The guests were also very congenial -- we actually made friends with one couple and met them on Maui later in our trip!
The house itself is situated in a beautifully landscaped garden at the end of a cul de sac. There was ample free parking. Also, it was well located for access to Waikiki, the beach, and the H1 freeway.
In conclusion, my only regret about this place is that I hadn't stayed there before now.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

Joanne and Sumiko welcome guests into their home with aloha and gracious hospitality. They stayed up late for our arrival and even insisted on helping carry our luggage. The house was spotlessly clean. The large Princess Ruth suite is very comfortable and feels a bit like a luxurious treehouse. The birds wake you in the morning but there is no traffic noise. Breakfast was delicious and generous, lots of fruit from the farmers' market and homemade goodies. We liked Joanne and Sumiko so much that we went back to visit them even though the B&B was booked. Free wireless Internet access, free beverages in the in-room fridge, lots of fresh towels, even luxurious soap that we were invited to take along when we left. Joanne and Sumiko know Hawaii and its history and answered any question we could ask. A wonderful place. Best to have a car as it's in a quiet residential neighborhood. We walked to Waikiki Beach but not everyone would.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

A very picturesque bed and breakfast, about 20 mins away from waikiki. Quite isolated location without a car and very strange stay. Avoid it if you are not after the real oahu experience. Go if you are!

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Diamond Head Bed And Breakfast? Share your experiences!