“Broke da mouth” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rainbow Dine-In & Take Out

Rainbow Dine-In & Take Out
2420 Koa Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Mililani - Waipio - Melemanu)
808-923-9565
Improve this listing
Ranked #316 of 1,913 restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Neighborhood: Mililani - Waipio - Melemanu
Neighborhood: Mililani - Waipio - Melemanu
“Broke da mouth”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Yummy goodness. Had the BBQ pork plate lunch with two scoops rice. Husband had loco moco. Both were great, comfort/drive in style food. Broke da mouth means super delicious in the local lingo. Got to hang out with some really nice local folks and chat a bit. That was a nice bonus.

Visited March 2013

86% Recommend
san diego
“Great homemade food at great price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

In the touristy area of Waikiki in the shadows of Diamond Head, there's a real find in the Rainbow Diner. While much of the food in the area is overpriced, bland or not-great. The barbecued ahi steak I had (with rice) was very tasty, and less than $10. My boyfriend ordered a barbecued dish too, and he thought it was fantastic as well. We were able to walk here from the Marriott hotel nearby, and I'd say that there were not many tourists here, which is a good sign you're in the right place.
The downside might be that there is no 'atmosphere' here, and only outdoor picnic-table seating, and it can be crowded and have birds flying around looking for food scraps. The food here is good, homemade, priced-right, but not gourmet, but I'd go back here if I come to Waikiki. And the bonus is, you look up at Diamond Head, which is delightful too.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Experience local cuisine: Plate Lunches”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Very simple food options and it is very heavy on the carbs. I ordered the Mix Plate which came with fried chicken, BBQ beef and Mahi Mahi with 2 scoops of rice. I chose the coleslaw over the macaroni salad. The coleslaw has a sweet vinegar based dressing. There is no mayo in the coleslaw.

Visited December 2012
Fresno, California
“Not that great after all the hype”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We had heard a lot about Rainbow Drive-In, even from Hubby's co-worker who was from Hawaii. But after trying it...eh.

I had the loco moco they're famous for. It was okay, nothing special or even all that flavorful. I've had better at King's Hawaiian in Torrance, CA. I can't even remember what Hubby had. Neither can he. We assume it was a burger, since he was burger-bingeing. We agreed that out of all the places we ate at, many of them local, this was our least favorite.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Winnipeg
“Eat where the locals do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Rainbow drive in is amazing! Local Hawaiian food at it's best. My husband and I always go when we are in Waikiki! Try the Loco Moco and the Mahi plate!

Visited November 2012