“Misleading Advertisement” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa

You added Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2424 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Misleading Advertisement”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

MISLEADING ADVERTISEMENT
We booked this hotel through Hotel.com On the website, it clearly categorized different options: King bed OCEAN VIEW and King Bed Ocean View (PARTIAL). We booked a King Bed Ocean View. Yet, when we checked in, the front desk gave us a room with a PARTIAL VIEW. We went back to the front desk and asked to fix their mistake, however, the manager name MAYA declined. Can someone help me understand the word PARTIAL and Ocean View to me? Clearly this is a misleading advertisement Hyatt Regency would not care to rectify.
So, for those who are about to book this hotel, it is best NOT to book a room with Ocean View, because it is clearly, there is NO ocean View at all.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Aloha,

We are sorry that you were not satisfied with the view or service you received. Per communications with our team prior to reading this Trip Advisor comment, we learned that while the category booked through a third party described the view of the ocean from the balcony, our team did try to provide some compensation which was the removal of all resort fees. The Front Desk supervisor also called and left a voice message trying to resolve any outstanding questions but perhaps you were unavailable by that time. We have followed up with our associates to review sensitivity of third party booking and compensation policies.

Mahalo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Korean first
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our Honeymoon and were very happy with this resort. The rooms were very spacious, had comfortable beds and were clean. The pool is quite small, however is beautiful nonetheless. The breakfasts are amazing and they have great drink specials in the afternoon by the pool. The waitresses by the pool are also super- friendly and love a chat.
Amazing location and fantastic views of the ocean if you have an oceanside room.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Be by the pool of an afternoon for the great drink specials
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Aloha,

Thank you for sharing this special time with us and your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your visit and have shared your comments with the housekeeping and Food and Beverage teams. We hope that you will return again in the future.

Littleton, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We've been staying here sincee the mid 80s and love this iconic hotel and the location. Right across Waikiki beach and Duke's statue, with splendid views over the ocean, Diamond Head to the east and Waikiki to the west. We stayed here for a week in early March and again had a wonderful time.
The staff are all extremely friendly, the staff at the front desk, the waiters, the housekeeping and the valets, everybody is always helpful and smiling. Quite a few of the staff at Shor Restaurant have been working there for years, it’s like visiting with old friends every time we stay at the Hyatt. Parking doesn't come cheap in Waikiki. At our arrival we were kindly explained that self parking is $30 and valet parking $35, we opted for valet parking, much easier that way. Internet was free and worked well. Hyatt Gold Members get a discount on the parking fee and the daily resort fee as well as 15% off food orders from Shor and Japengo.
We enjoyed the breakfast buffet which offers lots of great choices and has an omelet station as well. Also had a delicious dinner at Shor and Japengo, service was professional and very friendly.
The hotel is starting to show its age and from what we were told guest room renovations are about to start. The rooms are spacious and quiet. The one negative are the tiny bathrooms with a shower in the tub, there isn’t much room to turn around to get in and out of the tub when taking a shower. Would much prefer a walk-in shower, would make this tiny bathroom look a little roomier too.
There is a good variety of shops in the hotel including three ABC shops and every Thursday there is a Farmers Market on the lowest floor of the shopping arcade. Local fruits, produce, baked goods and cooked foods are sold at this Market, even if you don’t need anything it is interesting and fun to see what all is offered.

Room Tip: We've stayed in Ocean Front rooms and in Ocean View rooms. The Ocean Front rooms have a differen...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Aloha,

Thank you for choosing us for your return visits and for all of your kind remarks about our service. We will make sure to share your comments with our staff and provide your input regarding the bathrooms and upcoming changes. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed here last week and had booked a Pure Room for the first time (hypo-allergenic). We were given room 2951, which was right behind the elevator. The elevator shaft noise sounded like planes flying over all night, so we upgraded to Pure Ocean/Partial Ocean View Room 1408 for $25 more a night the next day and it was great - no more noise and we had a great ocean view. The hotel gave us a box of chocolate-covered macadamia nuts and some postcards as an apology for the inconvenience. I would say definitely ask to see your room on a map before you check into it - you do not want one near the elevators due to the noise and for $25 more to get a better room, it's worth it. The Hyatt is an older hotel, but we really enjoyed their pool area and the drinks from the Swim bar, along with the umbrellas provided for shade (tip: get to the pool before 10:30 if you want an umbrella, or else they might be gone). They also will lend you beach chairs for free to take directly across the street to the beach, which was nice. We did not get a rental car since we walked to most places from our hotel or took the local city bus to other areas for $2.50 each way. We had a nice stay once we upgraded to the better room.

Room Tip: Stay away from any rooms near the elevator and try to get a room with a partial or full ocean view t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We do regret that your first room did not offer a more relaxing experience but we are glad to read that once you moved to a different location your visit was better. We hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Burbank, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

It was an average hotel for the price I paid (I think my room got downgraded when I changed to 2 beds instead of 1 at check in so I'm not too fussed by it). We had no ocean view and instead a balcony that faced the parking garage. The room was perfunctory—clean, comfortable, well supplied—but if you're looking for luxury, this wasn't quite it. The location is great and we avoided the ridiculous parking garage fees by parking on the street. We're not fussy travelers (and this trip we really tried to embrace that laid back island spirit) but I can see why some people would be upset about not getting exactly what they were expecting.

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view, be sure to specifically ask for it, otherwise they'll try to woo you...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Aloha,

Thank you for reviewing your stay. We are sorry you were disappointed in the view and furnishings in your room. We hope that when the room change was made you were informed of the new location/view. It is difficult to know from the post what the original room booking was however we will follow up with our Front Desk team with a request that they better clarify room specifics.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

WARNING: We paid extra money for a full Ocean View Room at this hotel, but the Hyatt failed to provide what we paid for. Instead, they gave us a Partial Ocean View room, with only the tiniest sliver of water visible from the room itself. We felt cheated by this, and when we raised the matter with the Day Manager, he rudely dismissed our complaint. Only when I played the Media Card did the Hyatt suddenly sit up and take notice. Let me explain:

I am a journalist and media officer for a Coast Guard Flotilla.

My partner andf I bought a special package deal to Hawaii in February. This including 8 nights at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. We are experienced travellers, and we know that 'special package deals' often get you a room at the back of the hotel with no views, or a room wrapped around the elevator shaft. So, to avoid that happening, before leaving home I checked what types of rooms the Hyatt Regency Waikiki offered. The Hyatt said they offered three types of rooms: No-Ocean View room, Partial Ocean View Room, and (full) Ocean View Room. We decided to upgrade to the best view on offer, so I paid the Hyatt extra money for an Ocean View Room.

Now, that should be clear enough. But just to make sure of getting an Ocean View Room, I joined the Hyatt Gold Passport Club, which promised POINTS for every day of my stay, and extra customer service. And before we left home, I contacted the Customer Service staff at the Hyatt Gold Passport Club and asked them to confirm that we really had an OCEAN VIEW ROOM reserved for us at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. They checked my booking and confirmed that we had a reservation in an Ocean View Room.

So, after all that work and extra money, you can imagine my disappointment when I arrived at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki, and was sent to a room on the 22nd Floor, which looked out mostly onto the high-rise car-park opposite. From my room, I could see a tiny partial sliver of beach and a bit of blue water on the far right-hand edge of the window (see my photo). But that's not an Ocean View!

True, if you went onto the balcony and leaned out, you could see a larger slice of ocean, off to the right ... maybe 20% Ocean View ... but we hadn't paid for a Partial Ocean View Balcony. We'd paid for an OCEAN VIEW ROOM. Clearly, we did NOT have an OCEAN VIEW from our room, and we felt cheated.

I did not complain about this at first, because I had several days work with the US Coast Guard in Honolulu, and also because the staff at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki were so nice. Lili at Reception sent fruit and a Happy Birthday card to our room because we checked in on my birthday. For the same reason, Tom at Reception gave us a card entitling us to a free bottle of champagne (make sure you ask about this. It's not offered automatically!) Kalena at breakfast (in the Shor) went to the trouble of learning my first name, so she could greet me by name every morning (lovely touch). And when the salt-grinder at my table in the poolside 'Swim' Restaurant ground rust into my meal ... forcing me to ask politely for a non-rusty grinder ... the quick and efficient Supervisor Nabil immediately cancelled my bill and provided our meal free. These people and others really made our holiday enjoyable.

But after my Coast Guard work was completed and I had more time to spend in my room, the view (or lack of it) started annoying me. After all, we'd paid quite a bit of extra money to upgrade to an Ocean View Room throughout our stay -- but the Hyatt had failed our trust and failed to give us what we paid for.

So, I eventually decided to accept that I had been cheated by the Hyatt Regency Waikiki's untrustworthy room policy, and to simply write a review which laid out the facts of this disappointing matter.

However, as a journalist, I respect the value of a balanced review. So, before writing anything, I decided to give the Hyatt management an opportunity to respond.

Therefore, I went down to the Hyatt Regency front desk and asked for the Day Manager, The staff summoned a man whose name badge said "Francis".

I politely explained to "Francis" that I had paid extra money to be upgraded to an Ocean View Room, but the room I was given didn't have an Ocean View. Instead, it looked onto the hi-rise car park next door. That was definitely NOT an Ocean View, in anyone's book.

I admitted that I could see a slice of ocean if I stood on the balcony and looked off to the right. But this was only a Partial Ocean View from the balcony, and was not visible from the room itself. So, my room was definitely NOT an Ocean View Room.

Francis checked our room number on his computer, and then bluntly informed me that the room I'd been given WAS listed as an Ocean View Room. I said, "Francis, I invite you to come up and have a look at the room yourself. You can see nothing more than a tiny sliver of beach from the room itself, and only a part of the ocean if you go out on the balcony. So at best it's a partial ocean view BALCONY, and it's absolutely not the OCEAN VIEW ROOM I paid extra money for!"

Francis looked me up and down, then dismissively replied, "That's your opinion!"
And with that, he turned away.

I was a tad annoyed by this snide and discourteous response. So I said: "Thank you, Francis. By the way, just to be fair, I should tell you that I'm a journalist and also a Top Reviewer for TripAdvisor. I came down here to give you a fair chance to respond to my room problem, and now that you've done that, I's just like you to know that I'll be quoting you in my TripAdvisor Review."

I then went back to my room, and sat down to start writing this review.

Within thirty minutes, the phone in my room rang. It was Renee Nakashima, the Hyatt's Senior Sales Manager. She said she's heard I was unsatisfied and wanted to know why. I told her everything I'd just told Francis, adding that the hotel staff are generally excellent, but in my experience the hotel management is cheating its customers by taking extra money for Ocean View Rooms and then failing to deliver the room its customers paid for. As for the management response to complaints ... it speaks for itself. I would be saying so in my TripAdvisor review.

Renee was full of apologies. She said the hotel was having some trouble with room descriptions (obviously) but was trying to fix the problem. Meanwhile, she was going to immediately arrange to move me to a new room on the 38th Floor, with a real ocean view (see my photos) and also give me a Regency Club pass (to their private Club room on the 3rd floor, with a private balcony overlooking the beach - and free food and cheap drinks and free internet), plus she was going to take care of our $20 per day Hotel Tax.

So, for the last two days of our 8-day stay, we had the room we'd paid for, plus some fringe benefits. Sometimes it pays to complain.

I must admit that, after Renee Nakashima's customer-friendly response to my complaint, I was on the verge of not writing this review at all. Renee was so friendly and efficient in her response, so unlike the dismissive Day Manager.

However, after my stay at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki, I found that their Hyatt Gold Passport Club had failed to add any points to my m,embership card for staying at the Hyatt. I asked why, and the Customer Service staff said that, since my reservation was booked through a third party (my travel agent), and since the rate paid was a discounted room rate, it was ineligible for any Gold Passport credit points. This reply ignored the fact that I'd paid extra money to upgrade my room rate to an Ocean View Room, and that's just dishonest and mean-spirited.

That final customer-unfriendly Hyatt reply was what convinced me to sit down and write this review. Sorry, Renee, but your management hasn't learnt the old hospitality mantra ~ the customer is always right.

PS: Special note to Ivans, the Hyatt PR Manager: Please don't demean yourself by writing one of your self-serving post-script messages: Thank you for your review ... we are working to fix the problem yadda yadda. Better if the Hyatt Regency management just acted decisively to make its room policy honest and accurate in future. An Ocean View Room should mean a room with an Ocean View. Not some secret category you call a "Front Ocean View" ... and definitely not a Partial Ocean View. Your staff is always friendly. Now try to keep your room policy always honest. Give your customers the rooms they pay for and expect. Until you do that, I'll be staying elsewhere when I return to Waikiki.

Room Tip: Hotel management's room policy is untrustworthy. Paying for an OCEAN VIEW ROOM does NOT necessar...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Stayed there for 2 nights before going to the other Island.
The location is very good. The parking is very expensive. had to pay 70$ for 2 days, but I think mostly all hotels parking price are the same 30-40$ a day.

We arrived at 1.30pm with jet lag but had to wait till 3pm to get our room.
Finally 3pm we got one room, but we were not happy with the room, because its soooo small, old, bad view (we booked with ocean view), and right next to the elevator. It was so loud.
So, we call the reception and asked for another room.

The second room was great.
Ocean view (as we wanted), bigger space & more calm.
Love the bathroom amenities.
Thank you for this.

Tried the fried chicken at the pool restaurant, it was delicious.
The staff, I forgot her name, was very friendly and helpful.

You will see Japanese bride and groom running around at Hyatt group floor, we found it pretty cute.

Perhaps when we come back to Waikiki, we will try different hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a room with ocean view and not close to the elevator.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Our check-in time is 3 p.m. and on days when there are rooms available before then we certainly will try to accommodate the guests earlier. It appears from your comments that you arrived on one of the busier days. We will share your comments about the parking fees with our management team and the remarks about the food and service you enjoyed at SWIM.

Mahalo

Been to Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!