“Very antique” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa

You added Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2424 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Sunshine on Sale
Ranked #38 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Very antique”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

This hotel is very large. It's across the road from the beach and doesn't have its own beachfront access but it is quite easy to get to. The rooms itself are quite big and spacious however the only modern thing is the flat screen tv in the room. Everything else is quite old and ancient. Some people might like this. I had a deluxe room with a view of the city. The balcony does not have tables and chairs on It. Also beware.. The walls are so thin you can hear your neighbours talk. I was up on the 28th floor in the diamond wing and I could hear everyone coming and going. In saying this the staff are very friendly and happy to assist. It is in a great location next to all the main shops on the Main Street of Honolulu. The hotel does supply free beach towels if you need one.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are glad you were pleased with our associates and the location. We will be making changes to the rooms in the year ahead. We hope that you will return and like the newer furnishings. We are sorry about the noise and that your lanai did not have furniture. Every room has a private balcony and furniture. We have shared your comment with our rooms director to follow up with his team who work on the 28th floor.

Mahalo,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (689)
  • Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I booked a room using Hyatt Gold Passport points for my husband and I to rest before our late night flight back to the mainland. We arrived at 10am and were helped almost immediately. I told Grace, who was checking us in, that we would not stay the night but rather wanted the room to rest before our 11pm flight. She spent an inordinate amount of time on the computer, walked away from the desk, returned and spent more time on the computer. She finally announced that she located an available room "near" the elevator. I told her I normally ask for a room away from elevators, ice machines, etc. but since we weren't spending the night it shouldn't be an issue. Boy, was I wrong.

Room 951 in the Diamond Head tower was not "near" the elevator. It literally wrapped around the elevator shaft! The sound of elevator cars going up and down was incessant and over time nerve wracking. We tried to rest to no avail. I called to the front desk but the call went unanswered after numerous rings. Finally we decided we needed a break and went out to lunch. After we returned I went to reception to complain but it was totally backed up with a large tour group either checking in or out. During the afternoon I returned twice but encountered the same back up.

Finally at 5pm I went down to see if we could check out prior to 8pm when we intended to leave for the airport. I told the desk clerk that I felt the room had been shamelessly misrepresented as being "near" the elevators and told her of the uninterrupted noise and vibration of the elevators. She apologized but said there was nothing she could do as the hotel was sold out. She offered to deduct our resort fee(!?!) but found it was included in the rate. She then said she would deduct the $29 upgrade fee for a room "with a view". I was astounded and told her why. Finally she offered a $50 resort credit but as we overly tired, had already eaten and were leaving within 3 hours it was not of any value to us. I received a bill with a zero balance and went back to the room for the remaining time.

Upon return, I wrote to the general manager but have not received a reply.

Despite our problems, the hotel is well located. There are numerous restaurants within the hotel complex but most are closed after the lunch hour and don't reopen until 6pm. The rooms are in need of an upgrade--especially the carpet which was stained and had pulled threads. The beds were comfortable---if one could sleep with the noise! Bath amenities also seemed quite nice.

I would caution anyone checking in to reject any room described as being "near" the eIevator.
My observation is any room in the Diamond Head tower ending in 51 or 68 will be problematic.

I would suggest to the hotel that those rooms either be highly discounted or decommissioned.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms ending in 51 or 68 in the Diamond Head Tower. They have no view, wrap around the elevato...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Aloha,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that your short visit with us was so uncomfortable and the responses you received were unsatisfactory. Our management team does pay attention to guest comments and we are following up to find out the status of the letter you sent to the GM. We are not sure if that was via US Post, email, or another form of communication and are looking into it. If there are no delays in the delivery of the letter than you should receive some form of response soon.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

This hotel location is ideal for people intending to go to Waikiki Beach everyday. You can rent everything on the beach eg surf boards, lounge chairs, umbrella, etc. The hotel is literally right across from the beach. I spent 7 nights here and when I checked in with my sister we got upgraded to an ocean view room. The view is absolutely amazing. We can see sunset everyday from the balcony. The room was very spacious however it was quite dated. The beds and room service was great. There are four public elevators but the service was extremely slow.

The resort fee $25 per day which is additional to what you pay for the room includes: 2 bottles of refresh water daily, wifi internet access (however the internet kept going in and out), local phone calls, long distance and international calls (up to 60 minutes) per day, complimentary 1-800 calls, incoming faxes, use of in-room safe, resort cultural amenities, access to beach amenities and health club access. Note that parking fees in not included in resort fee. Valet parking is extremely expensive at the hotel $35 per day. There is a public parking lot (24 hours in and out parking privileges) at the back of the hotel for $25. The valet staffs will try to convince you to use the valet service and inform you public parking does not include in and out parking services and that street parking is hard to find. Street parking is indeed hard to find but you can save yourself $10 per day by parking in the underground parking lot at the back of the hotel close to the farmer's market.

The farmer's market is at the back of this hotel opens Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 4 pm to 9 pm so you can get all the fresh fruit you like instead of getting it at the hotel for double the price.

I would not rent car through any of the hotels or on the kalakaua strip because the price is easily 4 times as much as what you would pay if you rented from the airport location, preferrably priceline.com, I paid $25 per day versus what the hotel wanted $80+ per day.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade to ocean view room
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Aloha,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent visit. We are glad to read that you enjoyed the location, view, and services. We will definitely share your comments regarding parking prices and elevator speed. We hope you will visit us again in the future.

Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Although there is limited free WiFi now in the rooms it is still less than what a low priced chain hotel offers for free. Its a step in the right direction but the hotel is still trying to get customers to upgrade to pay wifi. The rest of the hotel is awesome and the service is excellent. Boogie boards and Tommy Bahama beach chairs are free to use for guests.

Room Tip: Please try not to get a room backing onto the elevators as we did have to move rooms once because of...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha,

Thank you for sharing your review. We are sorry that your wi-fi had such a negative effect on what was otherwise a pleasant stay. We have shared your comments and concerns with our IT department and they have informed us that an upgrade of the system we currently are using will be coming within the year. Again, we are sorry for the inconvenience and hope you will visit us again in the future.

New Plymouth, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We spent 7 nights here and it was completely fantastic. Great location, close to beach, transport, etc. Rooms were very spacious, a little dated but very comfortable. Room service was great. Bed was really comfortable. All of the staff we met were fantastic. I would definitely stay here again for our next trip!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha,

Thank you for the terrific review. We are glad to read that you had such an enjoyable visit and will stay with us again in the future. We will be certain to share your comments with our team.

honolulu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I arrived at the Na Ho'ola spa 1 1/2 hours before my Lomilomi appt. I was given a quick tour of the spa, then led to the womans locker room, shown to my locker, and was fitted with spa slippers and a very comfortable robe.... Inside the womans locker room, are many showers, 2 toilets, lots of amenities, including hair dryers, mouthwash, qtips, the list goes on and on... Also, the locker room is equip with sauna ... and a quiet area to relax.. I made my way down to the sun deck, about 6 loungers with nice soft blankets line this deck... Also, well equip with Hot tea, Coffee, ice cold lemon water ... magazines to read. Bliss..... 15 minutes before my massage, I made my way up to the waiting lounge, more Tea, Coffee, Ice water available.. Derwin met me, and led me to the massage room, while we were walking over, he asked me about my preference for the massage,,, explained the Lomilomi massage, also asked about my past massage experiences.... from the moment I was was let into the room, till the moment, Derwin placed a yummy cookie beside me, I was in a Blissful state...
Overall, It was Amazing, and I cannot wait till my next visit... I joined the Kamaaina special, of 120 usd, this includes discounts to the spa, also free valet parking... The only negative thing I can think of, is , there is no swimming pool available to spa only customers.. the pool is only open to hotel guests... I hope in the future.. the pool will be available to us Spa customers..

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Aloha,

Thank you for the wonderful review of your visit to Na Ho'ola Spa. We are glad that you enjoyed your treatment and will be returning using your kama'aina membership. We have shared your kind comments with our Spa Director.

Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

This hotel is kind of look classic for me, which is wooden, brown. and inside the Hotel it is like a small shopping mall, and you can see the water fall decoration. Made the place full of the felling of romantic!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit and we hope to serve you again in the future.

Mahalo

Been to Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!