“A Fresh Twist on Hawaii's Famous Shaved Ice” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1,912 restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Vegetarian, Hawaiian, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dessert
Description: HOPA is a Hawaiian treat shop best known for its all-natural, homemade, real fruit shave ice served with Pure Aloha daily. At the House, there are no strangers, only 'ohana yet to be met. Through the House of Pure Aloha, we aim to accomplish our true mission of "inspiring a movement of Pure Aloha one person, one relationship, one community at a time".
“A Fresh Twist on Hawaii's Famous Shaved Ice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I grew up on Oahu and now live on the east coast. My family and I make a month long visit every summer to be with our family and friends as well as to take care of all the cravings for local foods and treats.

A word about Shaved Ice. It is a must do for the true local experience. We have been eating it since we were kids and its a great refreshing alternative to straight ice cream. You can get it just about anywhere, but not all are created equal.

I am a traditionalist, so Matsumoto's in Haleiwa is the standard and still remains my favorite for flavor and experience and is an annual part of our trip. However, this years added stop to Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha was a fun and delicious treat! It is a small shop in a strip mall in Aina Haina on the east side of Oahu. Its on your way to Hanauma Bay and Sea Life Park.

The shaved ice here is like snow. They have many of the same "extras" that have become very popular over the last several years as add-ons to the cold treat (mochi balls, condensed milk, ice cream). The difference here is the quality of the ingredients. The syrup is made with real fruit. Seeds can been seen in the strawberry, and my niece stated it was like biting into a fresh fruit! The mochi balls are home made. The day I was there they had chocolate coco mac ice cream in addition to Tahitian Vanilla. Alas, with all good ingredients, when they run out, they run out until they can make more. That was the case with some of the ingredients that day. The store may not have the variety of flavors you might find in other places, but what they do have will meet most peoples desire for either traditional or exotic flavors.

Lastly, you can't beat "Uncle Clay"! He was there ringing people up the Sunday afternoon we stopped in. He is warm and loves to chat you up and find out where you are from or test your Hawaiian language skills as he did with my niece. Full of Aloha and respect for his customers as well as the quality of his treats. This place is a great representation of a local business! Well worth the trip. HOPA!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

96% Recommend
New Braunfels, Texas
“GREAT SHAVED ICE (with Ice Cream)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This place had to be good since lines were out the door !! They don't get in a hurry to make your order, they chat with all the customers as they work, an added touch.

The dishes were great, we had ours with ice cream, a nice touch!!

We had several shaved ices while in Hawaii, this one was one of the best.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Once you visit Uncle Clay's you will know PURE ALOHA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Before coming to Hawaii I made notes on places to put on my "must do" list from reading reviews, particularly from TripAdvisor. We made a special trip to Uncle Clays after Hanauma Bay because of the reviews. My nephews had tried shaved ice at other places and islands during our visit and considered themselves well versed in the world of "shaved ice". Nothing could have prepared them for their experience here at Uncle Clays House of Pure Aloha. It was unparalleled! OMG WHAT A TREAT!!!! I am a foodie so dining experiences of all types matter to me, from snacks to full course meals. The ingredients were all natural and delicious. If you are in the area be sure to put this on your list. If you are not in the area, make a special trip! You will thank me later. Aloha!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Secaucus, New Jersey
“Naturally flavored shaved ice...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The shaved ice at Uncle Clay's is comparable to Matsumoto's and Aoki's. I guess being all natural syrup, it's not as sweet and flavorable. At least you don't have the 20 people long lines like Matsumoto's! My 3 kids all enjoyed their shaved ice with toppings fresh fruits, red beans, coconut, chocolate ice cream. The store is located in a shopping center, and is modern and clean. The store manager is the nephew of Uncle Clay and was very friendly.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto
“He's one COOL Uncle...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I'm surprised I haven't written a review for Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha until now. Well I was keeping it a secret but I guess everyone knows about it now.

I found out about Uncle Clay's when I was on a mission to find "da bestest" shaved ice on the island. Uncle Clay's name popped up on several Google searches so I knew I had to give them a try.

Uncle Clay's is located out near the Hawaii Kai area and you will need a car to get there. We've made it a routine pit-stop whenever we're up on the North Shore area and heading back into Honolulu.

You're always greeted warmly the moment you walk into the door by smiling faces behind the counter and that always sets the mood. You almost feel like a local!

Most of the flavors are made from fresh fruit juices and, not surprisingly, are the ones customers always ask for. Who would have thought that kale flavored shaved ice would taste that good?! Healthy you say? Better make mine a large then!!

The first couple times we stopped by the store (yes, it was that good!) we missed meeting the infamous Uncle Clay. We did manage to meet him on our last visit before wrapping up our trip.

Uncle Clay is the personification of the aloha spirit. He is NEVER too busy to stop and chat with his team or greet each and every customer that walks into his store. He feels, well, just like your Uncle Clay, if you had an Uncle Clay that is.

Going back to the shaved ice... Some (most) of the other shaved ice on the island have larger crystals and as a result isn't as smooth, more crunchy like. With Uncle Clay's, it is THE smoothest shaved ice I have ever sunken my grubby, unshaven muzzle into. From the very first spoonful to the last slurp of delicious syrup, Uncle Clay's will have you asking for more.

You won't be disappointed!

Aloha e komo mai!