“Location Location Location” 3 of 5 stars

Holiday Sale: Save 50%!
Ranked #71 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
“Location Location Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The only thing positive about this hotel is the location and, for that reason alone, I would stay there again. However, I am not bothered by bugs which were everywhere in the room/bath. If bugs bother you, this is not your hotel. Our room/bath was very small and do not have any dressers for clothes so we just lived out of our suitcases (which was probably a better location to keep out the bugs out of the clothes ). The staff was delightful and very helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

I read the reviews before I booked and had my expectations very low...I was extremely satisfied! The room was clean and spacious III. We spent 4nights there. We were smack dab in the middle of EVERYTHING. No car was needed. The staff was friendly and did not bother us. They are in the process of renovating a bar in the lobby, so once that opens it's really going to give this boutique hotel a nice add on. We had a partial ocean view on the balcony on one side and then mountain view on the other side. Would stay here again!!

• Stayed July 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

The rooms are clean and spacious and cannot complain about the location. There is a shoppe less than 50 ft. from the front door and restaurants all over the area. Also it is far away enough from the Mall that it is not too crowded for Waikiki. The employees are courteous and helpful. The only thing wrong with this place is that the bar and restaurant is under renovation but that is not permanent. All in all a great place.

Room Tip: get the room with the sofabed.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Wahiawa, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We stayed here for one night and was disappointed. First, we arrived a little early, about 140 and check in was not till 4. Our room wasn't ready and it would be a bit till it was. We were attending a wedding and needed to freshen up a bit before. I asked to be called when my room was ready and I would come over and get situated. THE CALL NEVER CAME. Service, zero points. We had to get ready in another hotel.
The location was good, one block from the beach, no ocean view though. While the street the hotel is on is close to mainstream Waikiki, it did seem to be in a seedier area with a hostel next door and those hanger around types just hanging around.
We finally came back close to 11 at night and found there would be an additional 11 per night as a "RESORT FEE". Now, I use the term RESORT in its loosest sense. This was to pay for the "breakfast" which was served in the lobby area from 7 til 930 am. Thawed pastries, toast, cold cereal and yogurt. Eat to your heart's content.
The lobby looked as though they tried to polish a turd. But, it's still a TURD.
There was a single elevator and we waited for a long while for it to come. I think someone pressed all of the buttons and got off. That's the kind of element we found to be staying here.
The room was "polished" as well. Initially we thought there wasn't a shower in the room. We eventually found it when we closed the bathroom door. The water pressure was great though. The bed was platform style and the room air conditioner was running when we entered which took away from the crazy heat and humidity of the exposed corridors.
I hope people are listening to the reviews that are on here. I am usually optimistic and take the good ones into consideration, but in this case I should have read the negative ones as well. This place is NOT 3 STARS. THIS HOTEL IS A 1 STAR LOCATION DISGUISED AS A 3 STAR. The restaurant is under renovation, the service is substandard and the accommodations are basically a dump.
Here's the scoop: if you want a place to sleep, don't care about service or amenities, and don't plan on being in the room at all, this place would be enough. But, if you want comfort and service, do not stay here.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Don't be put off by the naysayers. Stay is great and really good value for money.

Stayed at Stay Waikiki as a couple for three nights at the end of June. Was a tad apprehensive before we arrived as I'd read the mixed reviews. However I was pleasantly surprised. We stayed in room 706 which is a a queen standard room.

Our flight landed very early in the morning and we went to the hotel to drop our bags, already aware that we were way too early to check in. We returned about midday expecting to just hang out I the lounge area till 4pm but we're told our room was ready. I must mention Jasmine who works on the front desk, as she was incredibly helpful and friendly throughout our stay.

Room itself was simple (this clearly isn't the Ritz) but had everything it needed. We had a balcony with partial sea views. Bed was comfortable, bathroom a good size with a full size bath. All of it was clean on arrival and the daily maid service was great. Flat screen TV, iPod Dock and excellent air con, which I didn't find particularly noisy despite other reviewers saying so.

I had no trouble sleeping there at all due to noise, but should mention that the Sway Restaurant/bar was closed for renovation whilst we were there, so this may contribute to night time noise at other times.

The location of Stay is amazing. Just a hop skip and a jump to Waikiki beach front.

The breakfast was average and that's the best I can say about it. Not bad but not good.

The free wifi and media centre were really great, and we had no problems connecting to the wifi even up on the 7th floor

All in all it's great value for the money you pay. If you want luxury then go to the Royal Hawaiian and stay there. And look at you room. A lot. Because you probably won't have the money to do anything else!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kapaa, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I was not prepared for how small this room was however it had a nice size lanai. It was like 1/2 a hotel room. The front desk staff was very nice. In the first 20 minutes of being in the room I killed over 20 cockroaches. They were on the floor, on the curtains, on the walls, in the shower, on and in the dresser, in the closet. I live in Hawaii and am used to these pests at my own house however the sheer number of them out in the open in this small room was creepy. We had trouble sleeping because we had cockroaches even on the bed.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Don't let the poor reviews deter/scare you. You will not find a more cost-efficient hotel in Waikiki. The bed was comfy, the staff was amazing, the breakfast is decent, and you are ONE BLOCK from the beach. I had friends staying in hotels on the beach, paying $400 a night for a tiny room. With my Hotwire discount, I paid 1/4 of that, including the amenity fee, for a large queen room with a small balcony. And it comes with really delicious mini croissants in the morning (are those from Costco, or what?).

Let me address some of the complaints from other reviews:

--Room size: Mine was great, but anyone complaining about a small room: go outside, you're in Hawaii.

--Cockroaches: Apparently my boyfriend did see one cockroach in the bathroom. That being said, I saw one at a Starbucks, a couple on the beach, and one in the driveway of a very swanky hotel. It is what it is.

--Noise: I didn't notice any noise, but I live in a very busy part of a large city most of the year. And there is noise everywhere in Waikiki anyway.

--A/C: It doesn't matter where you stay, the A/C is "inadequate." It's comfortable for sleeping and lounging, but you're going to need to let your hair air dry (though, they have GREAT hair dryers for a hotel). The swanky hotels' rooms feel just as hot when you're getting ready. If you want cooler, go to a different part of Hawaii.

--Breakfast: As you know, I really enjoyed the mini croissants. And the yogurt was good. If it's not enough, take some of that money you saved and go to the ABC store.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor if possible. They're very accommodating.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Tom K, General Manager at Stay Waikiki, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Aloha,

I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for your nice review and kind words! We're very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to see you again in the near future!

To answer your question about the croissants, they're not from costco we actually get them from a local bakery here in Hawai'i.

See you again soon!

Tom Kloss
Gerneral Manager

Been to Stay Waikiki? Share your experiences!