“Great location!” 4 of 5 stars

Holiday Sale: Save 50%!
Ranked #71 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
“Great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I physically checked out this property, on a previous vacation, prior to booking it. I had too, had read the many reviews that spoke of the bad & good, regarding this property. All that to say, we really were not in for too many surprises.

Other than, we purposely reserved a room that had the futon & a queen bed. I didn't realized there was more than one layout for this type of bedroom. Needless to say, though I called ahead & asked for a room above the 4th floor, one was not available for the first few nights of our (9 night) stay. By day 3, we were indeed, up higher, in a much better (roomier) layout.

The good: GREAT value (at the time I booked (Jan 12) for our Aug 12 vacation, I got one of those big rooms for $109. Smoking deal)!!! The staff. Cleanliness. DVD's to "borrow". Location (just one block from beach, and RIGHT next to surfboard rental shop).

The not so good: elevator was inoperable more than once (which normally wouldn't be a problem, but I was just getting over knee surgery). The pastries & "tang" were really not even worth bothering with. The windows are louvered glass - - makes it soooo darn easy for all kinds of noise to come in. No pool. No restaurant (these last 2 omissions didn't matter to us in the least).

If I was able to get that price again, I would book again in a heartbeat. But I do know that prices have gone up. I may still book again, but not quite as readily as I would have a the lower rate.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I knew coming in it was going to be noisy staying there. It was the location and close proximity to the beach that I liked. I asked for a higher floor away from the street which they did provided but I still had a hard time sleeping.
The front desk clerk was friendly when I checked in. The problem was the room. There was no luggage cot to put my luggage on. The walls and sheets are stained. Room was very small. Bathroom is tiny. It's not the Four Seasons but you get what you pay for.
I think it's still pricey for what I paid for. But that's Hawaii. Hawaii is expensive period.
No fridge or microwave. No coffee maker or kettle. Just TV, hairdryer, phone and alarm clock.
If you want ice, you have to go to the lobby and ask the front desk clerk. One employee there looked annoyed when I asked for ice the one day.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, don't expect to get any sleep if you stay in Waikiki.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This place is brilliant. Perfect location being less than 2 minutes from the notorious Waikiki beach.
The room I was in was small and a bit dimly lit, but had a flat screen, iPod docking station and a play station 2 (with a free DVD/games rental system downstairs!). What more could you ask for!?
The people on reception are lovely and friendly. The breakfast was ok and the Internet was good for the most part. They even have a bucket of beach things you can take stuff from to use for the day e.g. Snorkel, half boards, lilos etc.

Overall great stay at a great price in a great location.
Thank you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This was my first international trip with my boyfriend and so we decided that the best option was to book an affordable accommodation and save the rest of our spending money for shopping and attractions. In saying that, we found this hotel conveniently located in Waikiki. To be honest, the photos were more appealing in comparison to the real room BUT I also have to say that regardless of the noise and very simplistic setup of our room, my boyfriend and I had a really wonderful stay here as mentioned in the title. The staff were super friendly, welcoming and warm, the room provided everything we needed and transportation was just around the corner. I also took advantage of the daily breakfast and I was happy with it. As mentioned by other guests, we were also lucky enough not to experience the sight of cockroaches roaming around. For a budget accommodation, it is definitely one to consider. HOWEVER, my boyfriend and I, although we appreciate the fancier hotels, we are not fussy about staying at less modern places such as this. It all depends on the type of traveller you are and I suggest that if you are looking for a more luxurious experience, that you stay elsewhere. Overall, it was great staying here and we thank you the staff at Stay for being so accommodating!

PROS: Affordable, friendly and helpful staff, convenient location.
CONS: Not as modern, breakfast was all pastry, amenity fees at check out.

Room Tip: We stayed at a level 4 room and that was pretty good so I'm assuming anything from that floor an...
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We booked 2 tween beds room, 311. It is for travelers on budget, with 2 minutes from Waikiki beach, food store, restaurants, car rentals, but not the most comfortable. It was more noisier that we expected. We have earplugs always when traveling, but an orientation of this room towards the most busiest street, and back of Hayat AC and receiving made it harder to sleep. My only complaint was cockroaches..yes they have them. We killed 2 first night, and decided no food of any shape or form in the room, and that did the trick.We talked to a locals and the story is that they do have roaches problem on the island. All windows have these horizontal strips of glass, and since it was windy we opened those "strips" and had nice breeze, no need for AC which we do not like to use. We paid extra fee $10 per day to the hotel, for breakfast, internet...but really never used any, and didn't eat their breakfast. Hotel is next door to the International Hostel, that is the same way designed, so you can get the idea of the room sizes. I would say it is not kids friendly, since it is not as clean, especially the floors. So, if you are on the budget, and can ignore some of the inconveniences, this is a good place to stay. If you like the comfort of a big chain hotels, this is not a place for you. The service and all workers were really friendly.

Room Tip: it seems that the best option is 2 tween beads room as they are the biggest size.
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We had booked this hotel serveral months in advance due to the late November time of travel. I guess the best way to handle this is by lows and highs. First lets talk about the hotel. The building its self is the typical low rise unit of the late50's early 60's build that flooded Waikiki at that time. Location is good as it is directly behind the Hyatt towers and central to the Waikiki strip. It looks like it has had had several updates, namely the lobby and the rooms. The elevator and car park leave lots to be dsired. If you expect to park at the hotel be preared to be told there is no stalls availible. When you do get one it will cost you 20/night. This is a little high for Waikiki but not overly bad either. Parking is tight so if your not a fabulous driver be ware. We paid 84/night for the room but remeber they have a "resort charge" that you also have to pay which is 10.00 per day. This resort charge is a farse. It includes there continental breakfast, coffee in the lobby tell 2pm, beach goodies, movie rentals and internet service. Forget you are getting a breakfast as it is not worth it, they goodies for the beach are left overs rom previous patrons that left there goodies behind. The wifi works sometimes but is netorious for booting you out. The movies rentals does work but subject to availibility. Room wise its a Ikea special not bad and I must say the materess was very comfortable. The tub in the bathroom had big black streaks in it and looked discusting but they didn't come off. Staff is fair unless you have a complaint then they get off standish. So just accept it for what it is and remember its going to not be as cheep as advertised. For us it worked this way 84/night for room 20/night for parking and 10/night for resort fee. It adds up. Would I stay again no, there is better for the 120/night that it worked out to with tax.

Room Tip: Suggest getting a room on the higher floors and queen bed.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Its practical, well priced , well designed and has a cool unusual foreign sounding name, Ikea? Stay.
If you're not really concerned with high-end amenities, if you're not bothered by basic, casual accommodations and If you're not hung up on having the floor numbers in the solitary elevator be in the same font ,... then you're in luck.

this place is steps from everything in Waikiki. People mere yards from you are paying three to four times what you are, literally. The furniture is pure Ikea. Even has the Ikea tags on. The rooms, while by no means luxurious, are functional and convenient.

The staff is very cool. Local hospitality at its best. And they are well aware of the limitations of the place. Definitely stay on floors 5 through 8. Room numbers ending in 03 or 10 are the largest and have the best lanais. Secure one. Skip the "amenities" - the coffee is served in stryofoam cups and the pastries are from some frozen locker in some Costco somewhere. The Wi Fi crawls.

Go out for breakfast. You're close to everything. In fact, go out to breakfast in that hotel 30 steps from the front door where guests are paying $400/ night.

It goes a long way to make you feel akamai that you Stay waikiki.

Room Tip: high floor. room 803 or 810
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Stay Waikiki? Share your experiences!