“Oishi....delicious!!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Hawaii
“Oishi....delicious!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Last nite's celebration of my son-in-law's bday was one of our highlights in dining pleasure. Their new location is very tiny, but the food....oh, sooooo ono..and the fish is very fresh. We were served immediately with three apps: a nalu green salad, a pancake type dish and tofu mixture. All three were excellent and a great way to begin our dining adventure. All six of us previewed the menu and began ordering dishes that we were so eager to taste: uni, sashimi platter, various sushi and a steamed clam dish. I couldn't believe the size of the uni sushi, just covered to the brim with uni.. I was in heaven. The sashimi platter was just as remarkable with uni (again..lucky me), ahi, ika with tobiko, ikura, tai, hamachi, etc., etc. all washed down with Sapporo draft and Kubota sake that we brought with us. We shared the beer and sake with Morio and his workers and they, in turn, shared their sake with us. The end of the evening we were served with a Whole Fruits dessert, a frozen concoction that my wife and daughters enjoyed. This place will definitely be on my Favorite Japanese restaurant list. Advice: reservation necessary way in advance. PLEASE bring your own drinks. Don't take advantage of other customer's generosity and expect FREE drinks.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Fort Myers, Florida
“Waikiki Sushi Cult Favorite. Tiny. Shares Space With Ruffage Natural Foods. BYOB.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

Morio is gifted, Morio could have a restaurant several times the size of the one he has. Morio's is so popular with those in the know that you have to make reservations days in advance, even for a party of three, and there's an excellent chance you will have to sit in the passageway at tables rather than inside (which is really tiny, like three tables and a sushi bar). That's how popular it is.

People love the feeling of finding an uncut gem, a place that looks like somebody's found-furniture-in-an-alleyway "restaurant" but produces magnificent sushi -- not just nigiri or sashimi to order, but chef's choice symphonies of sushi. It feels like a secret, but it is way past that now. I understand, I think, that Morio wants to stay small, that he doesn't NEED to expand because he has a specific vision of himself personally serving sushi to appreciative people who come there for him and his sushi artistry, rather than for ambiance or to be seen. Good enough, I'm down with that. But it means that if you want to eat here, you'd best be making your plans well ahead of time. If you are staying a week, call before you fly out there. It's a BYOB place (no liquor license), and if you want to make Morio happy, bring a good bottle of sake or some Heineken Light along and see if he'd like to try some.

The waitstaff are dedicated and were friendly to our 12-year-old (who is a sushi lover also). The tables in the alleyway are the same ones you will use at lunch if you come to eat at Ruffage Natural Foods. Both places are excellent, so make this particular hole in the wall a must-stop even after Morio's move to King Street (sometime this month). Just, do call ahead -- as you would if visiting your favorite sushi-making uncle -- like a week ahead, to be safe. And DEFINITELY tell us about the new space on King Street once it opens!

• Visited August 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
South Jordan, Utah
“Come here if you want great fish...not fanfare...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

This place was one of our best finds in Waikiki. Period.

I read review after review of sushi places in honolulu until finally deciding this was the place to go. So I called up, got morio, and found out that reservations were two days out. But, he said, I will take your number and call you if something opens up.

So that night I get a call and its him..."we have a spot, bring your family". So, half our family decided to go my way and give this a try the others went and had...burgers...

We walk over to Murio's and passed right by it. I had something totally different in my mind. But, hey, I am always game for adventure and this many 5-star reviews can't lie. Basically the restaurant is a sushi bar inside with seating for maybe 10-12 and then a not-so-upscale outdoor patio they share with some veggie juice bar. We sat outside.

OMG! First course...a complimentary salad that was out of this world.

OMG! Second course...two of the most amazing poke's I have ever eaten and the amount of first-quality tuna they give was amazing.

Then, the love just kept coming and coming...

I got the bill...and this is the craziest part....there were four of us and 11 year old and it was like $50 including tax and tip!!!

Oh, one other tip, they don't sell much in the line of beverages, so they tell you to go next door and get whatever you like at the liquor store and bring it back over! Gotta love that!

If you want seriously good sushi, at an amazing value, and don't really need any ambiance, this IS THE ONLY PLACE you will ever go in Waikiki.

• Visited June 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, Illinois
“I can't wait to go back.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We found this place by accident while walking down Kuhio. When we first went by there were NO open seats which told us that it must be good. All of the sushi & rolls were very good and the ginger salad dressing made my mouth water for more. It is a smaller menu and the space is very quaint. I love the homey feel of the place and for the opportunity to see the sushi chef in action.

Morio smiled when I ordered the natto maki and sent over a plate of edamae in appreciation.

This is definately I place I would go back to when I return to Hawaii.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Orlando, FL
“Awesome place, feels like home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Tried once, had to make a reservation for another day.

This place is like being in someones home and they treat you like family. A+

AWESOME/FRESH SUSHI ++