“Bill and Trish Canberra” 4 of 5 stars
Review of White Sands Hotel

You added White Sands Hotel to your Saves list
White Sands Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   431 Nohonani St., Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Formerly Celebrity Resorts Waikiki)   |
Ranked #55 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Caberra
“Bill and Trish Canberra”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Great smaller hotel, very good location, tropical setting, very helpful staff. Most enjyable stay, great shopping and dining close by.
We would cetainly recommend this hotel to friends in the over 60's - shops and pub nearby.
The tropical Garden and pool really set the scene fot his beach/shopping holiday.
Easy walk to main shopping street and beach front restaurants in very swish hotels.
We couldn't fault the hotel - secure access at night.
All in all a wonderful experience which we would be happy to repeat at any time.
Internet access was available at a small charge and there was a very convenient ice dispenser.
I can't think of anything more to say but I must get to 200 words or I can't finish! so so so so so here I go go go go just making up upu up the space space space Cheerio!!!!

Room Tip: Select ground floor opening onto tropical garden.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
kekuwene, Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Aloha Bill (& Trish) S,
Thank you for recommending us to the over 60's and posting a review! We pride ourselves on location, service and being a small oasis in the middle of Waikīkī. I am happy you would repeat your stay and we hope that you do so in the very near future.
Paul Dun - Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Fresno, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I really shouldn't be writing a review because I've been coming here since 1989 and would not stay anywhere else. You never have to get in an elevator, the oasis of the courtyard, someone always smiling at the desk, the location - OMG - St. Germaine's Bakery & Starbucks a short walk away, and getting to that beautiful ocean is so very easy. We had wonderful communication with the service staff, always eager to please, and the unit was always clean. I could go on. I love this quaint little place, even if it's showing a little wear. Friends joined us that had never been before and they were very pleased. Two things: I wish they would keep the pool and hot tub open a little later. We were having a quiet swim on a weekend night, and were shooed out of the pool. How about 11 p.m., at least on weekends? Also, I didn't get to meet Paul! Mahalo nui loa - a hui hou kakou.

Room Tip: They've changed the furniture around in some rooms which we thought awkward, but they made us ha...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Aloha melelina55,
Even though you are a many times returning guest, we are ecstatic that you did post a great review! I am sure it is comforting for visitors to this site that we do have guests that keep coming back year after year. I am sorry I missed you during your most recent stay (I grew up in the San Joaquin Valley), but i look forward to meeting you next time.
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

The White Sands is an affordable option in the very overpriced Waikiki area.

The rooms are basic and not impeccable, but definitely acceptable and the cleaning staff are really careful and good. The whole staff actually is really nice and really efficient.

Rooms have kitchens in them, which is great. The pool is really nice and the location couldn't be better.

No free wifi, though, which is a major unsympathetic thing to do nowadays and, although I didn't have a car during my stay, I saw a lot of guests having to spend some time on that issue since parking spaces go away quickly.

The only big issue is the 3 pm check-in which is soooooo late and a bummer, specially if you consider that a vast majority of people that arrive in Honolulu are coming from quite far away and are really tired.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Aloha Nhatinha,
Mahalo for the review! I am pleased that you found the entire staff nice & efficient and pointed out our kitchenette rooms (which are great for traveler's who may want to save money on eating out every night). Thank you for also commenting on the issue of wifi. As we move forward, this is definately an issue we will take into great consideration. We all hope to have you as a guest again in the future.
San Diego, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My son and I stayed here on two separate occasions on our trip from the west coast to and from Asia and I wanted to share our experience here. Overall the room was very comfortable and the staff extremely friendly and helpful. Keep in mind that this is an older facility and has no elevator nor real luxury amenities. What it does have are clean comfortable rooms with kitchenettes, AC, and large lanais. It is somewhat of a throwback to old time Waikiki, when the area was populated by low rise bungalows instead of the high rise luxury resorts that predominate today.

Although we didn't take advantage of the common area facilities, the pool appeared to be well maintained and there was a gas grill available in the patio if you wanted to grill your own steaks or teri chicken. The Food Pantry is a block away if you want to shop for your own food. In our case, we bought a few cans of spam, a dozen eggs, a few potatoes, and some orange juice and were able to start off each day with a good hearty and inexpensive breakfast.

Free newspapers, hot showers, clean towels, comfortable beds, large lanai, and friendly staff. And the location is within a few blocks of all the major Waikiki attractions. This place is not for the traveler who is seeking luxury accommodations, but for someone seeking a comfortable quiet place to sleep in between enjoying the various island activities. And if you want some luxury, use the money saved on your room to pamper yourself to some nice meals or drinks.

Overall a very enjoyable experience and I will definitely stay here in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Aloha John K,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! 'Throwback' is a word I often use to describe the White Sands and its appeal, so I was pleasantly surprised to see that you felt the same way. I am overjoyed that you and your son had a great experience at our property and am excited that you will 'definately' stay with us again.
Mahalo a Nui Loa,
Canastota, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

This being our 4th trip to Hawaii, we usually stayed at a different hotel, but thought we'd try something different. We loved the White Sands for these reasons,..........Great price.........super location for us.......rather than having to walk a little further than our previous hotel stays required. My son lived in the pool which was a lot bigger than we previously had at our other hotel stays. The front desk people I encountered, Christina, Christieanna, & Jason were extreamly helpful & quite nice & made sure everything was O.K. for us. Room was more than sufficient for my son & I. I will definatly stay here again when I go back to Hawaii. I guess I could not really find one thing wrong with this hotel if I were asked to. The only thing that I would say that would make it better, would be to offer a small breakfast.......coffee, juice, milk, toast, waffles...etc. Nothing big.........although I didn't mind the walk to McDonalds in the beautiful Hawaiian weather......Thank You White Sands.......

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Aloha crystalaziza,
Thank you for your wonderful review! I am especially proud that you found Cristna, Christieann & Jason helpful and accommodating. We do appreciate that you tried us out for your most recent visit and hope that we've captured your attention enough to welcome you back for your 5th visit to Hawai'i.
A Hui Hou,
Santa Cruz
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

When you are 3 blocks from Waikiki Beach and every hotel is your haven, amongst the crowds this little old fashion triple decker motel has a pool, hot tub, waterfalls and old palm trees hidden inside. The price is right. Clean but not pristine. Excellent laundry, and reception a joy. My room was made up everyday, and these are not big time linens, there is a bigtime beach out there, a kitchette, excellent shower, couch, and door out to hot tub. No matter how warm the mighty Pacific, you need warmth afterwards, and not riding a elevator 29 floors down corridors, here the joyful hot tub is 30 feet away.. And, comment on the hula video its on all the time, like a fish aquarium... oh, oh, Apple Store 2 blocks away!

Room Tip: you got this far, go out to shop and swim, there is no tomorrow
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Aloha bapstar,
Mahalo for the thoughtful review! I hope you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for pointing out that, though we are not a luxury resort, we are a clean little gem in the middle of busy Waikīkī. We look forward to your return to the White Sands.
Me Ke Aloha Pumehana,
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed here for one night at the end of our trip. Pool and courtyard with plants, flowers and little waterfall were wonderful. Room was clean but extremely musty smelling with heavy odor of bleach. I had a headache all the next day after sleeping there. Rooms definitely need an overhaul. Blanket on my bed was faded and had a cigarette burn. Staff is very friendly and accommodating. I wish the owners would invest a bit in this very cute hotel. I wouldn't stay there again unless it was updated.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
kekuwene, Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Aloha Judy G,
Mahalo for your honest review of the White Sands. We acknowledge that our property is a bit dated and are looking at ways to improve, so your review is very useful as we look toward the future. I am glad that you found our staff accommodating and that you thought our pool & courtyard were wonderful. Hopefully, the next time you come to Waikīkī, we will have an even better product, so that you do stay with us!
Me Ke Aloha Pumehana,
Paul Dun - Hotel Manager

Been to White Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!