“A pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Atlanta, Georgia
“A pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I booked the Courtyard Waikiki for a business trip in October and booked here because the service at the Hilton Waikiki (Prince Kuhio -- not Hawaiian Village) was abysmal the last time I was in Hawaii. I can't tell you how pleasant it was to be greeted with a "thank you for being a loyal Marriott Rewards member -- and I didn't even make silver with Marriott last year (I am diamond with Hilton). The staff was friendly and I was "upgraded" into a one-bedroom suite in the adjoining tower. Since I was there on business, that was a good thing for me and I didn't necessarily want to face Kuhio Avenue in the front building.

The rooms are clean and decently maintained. My suite was nice and on the end with a large balcony overlooking Aloha Street so it had a kind of neighborhood feel (or as much of a "neighborhood" as you can feel in Honolulu). The hotel is VERY centrally located at Royal Hawaiian Blvd which is about the middle of Waikiki but this Courtyard is off the Main Road a couple of streets so it is MUCH quieter. It has GREAT access to Waikiki and the beach while still being able to get out the backside without enduring Waikiki traffic.

Staff was just very friendly and I have not found that to be the case at many of the hotels. There is an IHOP and a McDonalds across the street and, of course, an ABC store for any needs you may have. I rate it a four.

The one downside is the bathroom is small and the shower feels like a linen closet without the shelves but it was clean. The only other downside is that the parking is higher than most hotels -- $32 per day. If you are visiting Hawaii on vacation and staying in Waikiki, I recommend you skip the rental car and pick a couple days to rent one out of Waikiki to tour the island. That way, you save the ridiculous parking fees that all the hotels charge.

Room Tip: Remember that Waikiki is VERY noisy and that if you face Kuhio Avenue, the sound travels up! I woul...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dave K, AGM at Courtyard by Marriott Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Aloha Sawyer S,

Thank you very much for your review of your recent visit with us!

We were happy to hear that our team made you feel valued and cared for. We prdie ourselves on our service standards, and it appears we achieved this with you personally. We can't thank you enough for your praise!

We hope that your travels one day will send you out our way again. Until then, please take care and let us know if we are able to be of further service to you.

Dave Kaneshiro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

StayeD there for 1 night before flying back home and can honestly say its the worst hotel ive stayed in.
Paid $200 American for a 2 bedroom 'deluxe' which was 1 room with a door seperating. 1 queen bed and the other a fold out couch. The couch mattress had no mattress on it literally springs stickubg in my back with no pillows or blankets provided. Asked for another mattress but instead they brought a thin quilt to lay on.
Will never stay again.

• Stayed November 2013
Aloha Shiindy,

Thank you very much for your candid review of your recent visit with us.

We were very disappointed to read that we failed to meet your expectations regarding the room condition. As we take all reviews and comments seriously, I invite you to email me at dkaneshiro@waikikicourtyard.com as I would like to find out more information on your past stay.

We sincerely apologize for the experience. I look forward to hearing from you on the matter.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This hotel was the lowest priced Marriott property I could find in Honolulu. I paid pre-tax $119/night, which isn't bad considering its proximity to Waikiki beach.

Having said that, the hotel is just far enough from the beach to be a bit annoying- about a 10 minute walk. It's not fun walking from the beach to the hotel while drenched in ocean water and covered in sand for 10 minutes. But you'll survive.

There are plenty of other reviews discussing the awesome lobby and decent room quality, so I'll just primarily focus on one thing that bothered me, which was the shower. IT WAS SUPER SMALL!! I was luckily upgraded to room 556, which is one of the larger suites, and I could barely move around to wash myself. To give you a sense of the size, I could not put my hands on my hips and bend out my elbows without them touching the walls. And I'm a pretty slender person. To make it worse, the shower head couldn't really be adjusted to a comfortable position, so it always awkwardly pointed to a corner that made washing myself really inconvenient. I hope the regular rooms don't have even smaller showers.

Btw, if you're driving, the only parking available at the hotel is $32/night. Limited street parking is found around the area, which is free at night and on Sundays.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dave K, AGM at Courtyard by Marriott Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Aloha Howard L,

Thank you very much for your review of our property regarding your recent visit us. We truly appreciate your feedback as it provides with information on areas of focus we can improve on.

Please accept our sincere apologies on the lack of space in our shower stalls. As we are a collection of buildings established in the 60's, room size is at a premium for us. Although our showers are small, our goal is to maintain cleanliness in each room and also allows us to price our rates competitively with other hotels similar in property size in Waikiki. We do feel that we are housed in a prime location in the middle of city. You are correct that it is about a 10 minute walk to the beach.

Once again, thank you for your review. We hope to welcome you back as our valued guest in the future.

Brentwood, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Excellent place to stay near Waikiki. We walked to the beach from this hotel. The rooms are clean and well maintained. The whole experience was great. Friendly staff. There is a nice business centre with computers and printers to use by the guests. It as a nice size swimming pool and a good restaurant. The only downer is the need to use valet parking because there is no self parking at the hotel. It is pricey at $32 per night. But if you don't need a car this should not affect choosing this great location. Would stay here again if we return to Waikiki.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dave K, AGM at Courtyard by Marriott Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Aloha JuanR,

Thank you for your review of your recent visit with us. We are happy to hear your stay with us was a positive experience and that our staff service exceeded your expectations. You are also correct in stating we provide valet service for parking inquiries. Due to our location in the middle of the city, parking as you can imagine is at an abosolute premium and our valet parking rates are competitve (and usually lower) with other hotels in the area.

We thank you again for your review on TripAdvisor and hope to welcome you back to the islands in the near future!

Dave
Jamestown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We spent one night at the Marriott Waikiki due to our flight our of Honolulu being delayed by about 15 hours. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are spacious, clean, and convenient, and the on-site restaurants were very good. The hotel is located just off Waikiki Beach and is convenient to restaurants, the beach, and sightseeing pick-up points. We would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dave K, AGM at Courtyard by Marriott Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Aloha RogerW,

Thank you for your kind review of our property! We are glad to hear you had a pleasant experience with us and our location in the heart of Waikiki suited you well.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future! Until we meet again, Malama Pono (take care)!

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

This was our last stop after 4 weeks living out of suitcase and it was very nice. We booked a twin room but when we checked in there weren't any available and we were offered an upgrade at no cost to a 1 bedroom suite which was really nice. The location was great and the staff very friendly. We didn't eat at the hotel but walked across the road to the IHop restaurant for breakfast each morning. The pool was a lovely area to relax and not crowded when we were there. I would be very happy to stay here again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed for more than a week in tower two. Was happy to come down every day to the smiling faces of valet, front desk and the support staff.
All we could ask for would have been Bravo on the TV.
A few tips, if heading out early let front desk know and they will have your car waiting for you with little to no wait, pool at tower 2 is heated and on site laundry never busy in morning

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Waikiki Beach? Share your experiences!