“Friendly, Helpful Staff, Central Location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay for Breakfast!
Ranked #58 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Vancouver, Canada
“Friendly, Helpful Staff, Central Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were upgraded from a Standard to a Deluxe room which meant approximately 100 more square feet. We were first given a room ending with 2 which had a bathtub. Everything was fine except the bathtub itself was peeling so we switched to a room ending with 4 which had a shower only. This room was a little smaller as it is not a corner room. We had a microwave, fridge and a bar sink. The wifi is complimentary. It took us an hour to check in as our room was not ready but the staff was very apologetic and did give us an upgrade and complimentary continental breakfast for one day. Although the room had granite countertops and new tiled floors, the shower/bathtub area was very dated. The bus was downstairs to go to Ala Moana Mall and the Airport, across the street you can take the bus to Diamond Head but it is a long wait (average 30 minute wait). This hotel is a good choice for the Waikiki area. It seems like all the hotels are rather pricey in this area. I would give it excellent if the shower/bathtub is in better condition. Did not use room service nor spa.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better. The rooms facing the pool side are quieter. The rooms facing Kuhi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard during my visit to Hawaii last month. Upon my arrival I was greeted by friendly staff who quickly checked my friends and I into our room. The room was huge and had an amazing view and a king sized bed. The hotel was only two blocks from the beach and had a lot of good dining options. I will defiantly be coming back here next time I visit Hawaii.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Goose Creek, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My Husband and I flew to Hawaii on February 17th,2013. After a very long flight, we arrived by shuttle to our hotel,Courtyard by Marriott. The people there are so sweet, they got us checked in very quickly and to our room. It was a beautiful room, king size bed, decorated tasteful, and immaculate. Ladies the linens used are superb, bed so soft and comfortable. We had a room on the 10th floor, pool side,with a balcony. there were 2 pools and a hot tub. We got comfortable , and slept beautiful. Everyday we went and saw all the beauty Hawaii had to offer and had a wonderful room to go back to each night.

Room Tip: this room was great, poolside upper floors, away from pool noise,but had a great view from above and...
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I flew to Hawaii for my honeymoon over Valentine's day week and it couldn't have been better thanks to The Courtyard Marriott! Originally my husband and I had booked a "presidential suite" at a different hotel (wont say names) and it just wasn't up to our standards for this special vacation. Our limo driver recommended us the Courtyard (thanks Jason!) so we rode up not expecting much. After sharing our story with the genuinely caring front desk ladies I was even offered a tour of the pent house suite before we made our decision! Within less than one minute of viewing this spectacular room I called my husband and it was settled. :) With two bedrooms, a full kitchen and an at least ten foot wrap around deck I was in heaven! The only thing missing was a big jacuzzi bubble bath... But who needs that when you have the beach 2 blocks away?! I wanted to take that PH back home with me to SF and live in it. Throughout our stay the entire staff was extremely professional, helpful and over-all pleasant. They even booked our last minute couples massages and dinner reservations for us last minute on Valentine's day without hesitation. It was such a romantic and relaxing get-away at the Courtyard while still being kid-friendly which is a hard thing to balance. I'll definitely be staying here in this exact same room when I come back to Oahu... Maybe even with some little ones next time. ;)

Room Tip: The pent house suites feel like a luxury condo away from home!
Oahu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here using the Marriott Rewards Visa Signature Credit Card, and they upgraded me to a suite for free. I paid with the annul free night they give me on the card (89 dollar annual fee for the credit card). So basically i got an upgraded room at a deeply discounted price once a year if i keep the card. This could change as they play around with hotel categories a lot and there are complex program rules. I have stayed here the previous year also and the experience was similar. It is a bit noisy in the morning with construction, cars, and that trolley bell "ding ding" every half hour or so.

The hotel needs soundproofing, especially on the windows. The hotel is older and needs upgrading, but service is great and the room and bed are clean. There are minor expected issues like some mold on the ceiling paint and things like that. The air conditioner didn't have heat and it was very cold in Waikiki when i went (low to upper 60s during the day). Fortunately it warmed up to 70 degrees around 2am after returning from the clubs located conveniently nearby, which are nice nonsmoking places to go. The air conditioner has some mold in it so i didn't use it for cooling, those would need to be replaced so i had to close the balcony door when i went to sleep and not have any air, which was ok. I don't know why they even need air conditioning in Hawaii from Nov to April because its not even close to hot and everything is over air conditioned in general.

The great things about the room is it has a microwave, great tea, and it has coffee for people. the coffee maker looked clean but i just microwaved water for tea. There is sugar and stirrers and mugs in there already too and very clean. Nice real glasses in the bathroom. The bedding is polyester but pretty comfortable. bed is firm but somewhat soft, so that's a plus in that most hotel beds are really firm.

The hotel and housekeeping staff are really nice. I know that Marriott works its workers really hard and doesn't pay them well, which is sad. If i had money i would have given tips to everyone but unfortunately this was a staycation for me because i am now living on windward Oahu.

Some services i didn't use include the spa, and they have a snack bar and Italian restaurant on site. the hours seem good and the food does look decent but am not sure how it is because i didn't go. I would suggest requesting a higher floor for less noise and specify your preferences on number and size of beds or other needs when you call to schedule a room. You can also ask for free combs, toothbrush and toothpaste if you forgot them, idk what else they have available. Each tower does have a pool but there both small and there is kids in them so i usually went to the beach. The hot tub next to the main pool does look a bit cloudy on both visits, i went in it the first time and it did not feel the cleanest, so i chose not to go in again. Also Waikiki beach water is cold, if you want warmer beach water you have to go to American Samoa or Guam, marshal islands or Palau or something like that. or you can go to virgin islands or other places in the Caribbean. look up ocean temperatures online for your trip, it seems silly but it will help you make the best use of your dollars and time and vacation enjoyment, especially if you or someone you love likes 85 degree water vs 74 degree water.

Overall this is a good hotel to start off with in Waikiki/Honolulu, which is a good introduction to the tropics, but this is really not a true tropical environment, it is more subtropical, so you can explore further later. oh average prices for rooms seem to range from a low of 99 to a high of 180, with 150 being the normal everyday rate it seems like. This is slightly higher than other Marriott properties and other states because Hawaii is more expensive than most places

Room Tip: It helps to sign up for the Marriott rewards program, or even better if you have the credit card, th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The service at this hotel is incredible! I arrived tired, hungry and not in the best mood. There was some confusion about the reservation (turns out on my end). Carrie from L.A. provided 5 star customer service, thanked me for being a loyal Marriott customer and gave me a room upgrade. She was great! I read previous reviews about the rooms being tired and have to disagree. I didn't find my room to be tired. It may have been a little small but it's Waikiki and that's pretty standard. There is also a ton of value staying here. Two blocks from the beach at a fraction of the price without hidden "Resort fees" which drive me crazy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel has everything you need. It is on the far end of the beach but I enjoyed being a little further away from the commotion. We had a great room with a view of both Diamond Head and the beach. The hotel had 2 pools which was nice but due to issues with small children screaming and splashing with no supervision we found ourselves having to constantly move between the two but that was something we could not change. The only real negative was the restaurant. It was expensive had no view, was understaffed and was outdated and old. The food also needed a makeover. But there was some good entertainment at night out by the pool.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Waikiki Beach? Share your experiences!