“Freshly made Udon!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Sunnyvale, California
“Freshly made Udon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

OK maybe a hot bowl of Udon isn't what you're thinking of when in Hawaii, but you have to try this place. The Noodles are made from scratch all day and as the line out the door indicates, this place is very popular.
Grab a few pieces of tempura as well, also made fresh continually throughout the day.

Visited May 2012

• Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Woodland Hills
“Oh My Udon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Wow, this was amazing, the best Udon I've ever had. Not that I'm an expert, but all the japenese people that were saying the same thing probably are. I had the curry and the regular udon both were great. I could have done without the tempura to be honest, but its there and cheap, so why not. The line went really quickly and it's neat to see them making it from scratch. Great food at the best price on the island.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ogden, Utah
“The BEST UDON ever and they only charge $3.75 per bowl!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Remember the old adage "you get what you pay for"? There is now a Marukame revision... "you get so much more than you pay for!"

Pt 1: As a high schooler and college student I cooked in three different "noodle" houses. They all made their own noodles and brewed their own "dashi" (broth). One used a 30 gallon cast iron pot and simmered the ingredients overnight... so I know "good" dashi!

Pt 2: As a frequent traveler I'm so tired of paying high prices for average food!!

Pt 3: A good meal can make your vacation and an overpriced one can ruin it.

At Marukame's $17 + change will buy you two bowls of "Kage Udon", four tempura shrimp and two diet cokes.

The first time (a Friday night), I was a little leary... remember the old adage? The second (the following Sunday afternoon), I knew better.

On both days there was a line out the door... no reservations. Having read that it moved quickly I wasn't, necessarily, intimidated, but I was prepared for a long wait. We, however, advanced steadily and in no time I was ordering. This is because it is "cafeteria" style. You get a tray, order your noodles then move down the line to choose your extras and pay.

A note of caution... do not panic and ask your partner (in my case my wife) to find a table while you order. This is not Marukame protocol and they will politely let your partner know. I think there is an unwritten rule among the regulars. Eat your food and move on so no one waits. Very considerate and it works.

The next time we are in Honolulu/Waikiki we are going to order one bowl of "Kage" and one bowl of "Curry". On Sunday, we both wanted to repeat the "Kage Udon" experience so we refused to experiment. But there's another old adage... "nothing ventured nothing gained."

Hint #1: The "dashi" is so tasty you don't need shouyu (soy sauce)... at least taste it first.

Hint #2: They have a "tip jar" at the cash register.... when good fortune smiles show your appreciation. Not everyone did.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Winnipeg, Canada
“Yummy Yummy Yummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Overall, I really enjoyed the food at Marukame. I love udon and have enjoyed it over the years so my expectations were high – particularly after seeing the long lines in front of the restaurant. The restaurant is set up cafeteria style – you pick your type of udon bowl you want and then add on any tempura of your choosing, in addition to some assorted sushi. The staff is quick and efficient and the line definitely moves fairly quickly. Although, this definitely isn’t a place to linger for any length of time as the constant flow of people coming in kind of encourages less lingering. The seating area isn’t huge so if you’re going with more than a couple of people, expect that you might not be able to sit together. I ordered the basic Kake udon and grabbed some shrimp and mushroom tempura to add. Quick tip, put your tempura on a side plate – don’t just drop it in the bowl with your noodles otherwise the tempura batter will go soggy quickly. The udon and tempura were really good – I was very satisfied with my meal. I got the regular size and it was more than enough to fill me up. I would definitely return to Marukame again. If you want to avoid the longer line ups I noticed that it seems to be a bit slower late afternoon or late evening during the week. Weekends seem to be busy all the time.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Libertyville, Illinois
“Don't let the line discourage you!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This restaurant was across from our hotel and we saw the lines so we decided to try it. The line was long the 1/2 hour but that gave us time to decide what to order based on other Trip Advisor reviews. Basically a cafeteria, we grabbed our trays and ordered the curry udon and selected a variety of tempura. Seating was not a problem as people eat and then leave.

The curry udon had lots of flavor and the freshly made noodles were great. I tried the vegetable, sweet potato, pumpkin, and asparagus tempura. My favorite was the vegetable even though it was only luke warm. The asparagus was good too. The sweet potato tasted like white potato and the pumpkin didn't taste like pumpkin but wasn't bad. The portions were large and I was unable to finish the curry udon. The bill was less than $20, so a bargain for Waikiki.

• Visited February 2013