“Make sure you go to the Second Floor” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Waikiki Marina Resort at the Ilikai

Save Saved
You added Waikiki Marina Resort at the Ilikai to your Saves list
Waikiki Marina Resort at the Ilikai
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   1777 Ala Moana Blvd Suite #212, (take elevator to the second floor), Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815   |
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“Make sure you go to the Second Floor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

The hotel itself is very nice! Beautiful scenery, nice shops, clean room, great views, helpful staff, everything you could want while on vacation. After reading a few reviews, I wasn't the only one who had a bit of trouble at first. My cab driver brought me to the wrong hotel. The name of this hotel is the Ilikai, it's a resort within a resort. Then after walking a block and a half in the rain with my luggage I tried to check in and was told to go to the second floor. Again, resort within a resort. Fine, I just wish I had known this ahead of time. Reading the fine print on my reservation, it is printed there, but no one reads the fine print. I was a little early so my room wasn't ready, no problem this place is perfectly located for walks on the beach, seeing the park, getting great food, etc. My only other complaint is that the room wireless didn't work. The staff was very helpful.

Room Tip: Make sure you tell the taxi driver to bring you to the Ilikai and check in on the second floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
WVO_Resort_Manager, General Manager at Waikiki Marina Resort at the Ilikai, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Aloha from the Waikiki Marina Resort at the Ilikai. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear you enjoyed our resort's location, retail offerings, suite cleanliness, and staff hospitality. Great advice to tell the cab driver "The Ilikai" as it is a legendary landmark building celebrating it's 50th anniversary this year. Sorry that you had difficulties finding us. The mixed use condo tower has multiple registration areas and as our address indicates we are located on the second floor in Suite #212. I am pleased to report that we are currently installing a new complimentary wireless internet provider in order to better meet our guest needs. Looking forward to your next visit.

Yours Truly,

710 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Firstly, I don't think this is a hotel.
It is more a time-share apartment.

It was a bit confusing for our taxi-driver (and us) as this apartment block is actually located within another hotel building (The Ilikai).
So tell the driver to bring you to the Ilikai on Ala Moana.
Once at the Ilikai, proceed to the 2nd floor where the check-in room for this property (Waikiki Marina Resort) is located.

Check-in went very nicely, and our receptionist Kent was very cheery and welcoming. He provided lots of tips and local information for our stay.
As we arrived late at night, the Concierge services was closed for the day. But we got a call early the next morning from the Concierge telling us we have a welcome pack waiting for us.
The concierge was very proactive and helpful in providing information on museums and sightseeing tours but was quite pushy regarding getting us to sign up for the property's time-sharing programme.

Now on to the rooms. We booked the room for a party of 3 adults. Room was an ok size with a small kitchenette attached. There was a microwave and a big fridge which will be handy for any group intending to stay here for more than a couple of days. Plates and cutlery were provided, but my advice would be to check and wash them again before you use them. We found remnants of food stuck on some plates and cutlery. (Washing up liquid was provided.)

The double bed was ok, but be warned - the sofa bed was TERRIBLE. You could feel the spring-coils poke you in the back as you lay down to sleep, so whoever who slept in the sofa bed woke up with an achy/sore back.

Bathroom was clean but the only amenity provided was soap and towels, so bring your own shampoo and shower gel.

Location of this property is good. Away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki but still pretty close to the beach. There are free trolley buses (pink in colour) to and from the shopping/city area. The pickup/drop-off points for these pink trolley buses is outside the hotel (3mins away from the hotel's front entrance.)

Red Lobster and Outback Steakhouse are just 5 mins walk away and there is a convenience store close-by where you can get sunscreen, water and all your chocolates and macadamia nuts.

For other trolley bus services to and from Ala Moana Mall and Waikiki, the Hilton Hawaiian Village is the closest pickup/drop-off point from this hotel, about 10 mins walk away.

I wouldn't recommend this property to anyone looking for romance or a little luxury as it is very basic. You get what you pay for.
It is however, very suited to families.
The room we stayed in was very tired looking but clean. Linen and towels were fresh and clean, so no problems there either.
To be fair, the price we got for our stay was decent, so I cannot complain.
However, I would not be staying at the Waikiki Marina Resort the next time I head back to Honolulu as I prefer my hotels to have a little more luxury.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
WVO_Resort_Manager, General Manager at Waikiki Marina Resort at the Ilikai, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. You are correct, we are a vacation ownership resort located amidst the legendary Ilikai condominium tower. I am glad to hear you were welcomed well by our Reception staff. My apologies that you were not interested in the Concierge's incentive gift and tour discounts. Our guests certainly do appreciate our spacious studios with full kitchens. It is disappointing to hear that your kitchenware was not properly clean upon arrival, that you were not impressed with the comfort of our convertible sofa bed and that your suite's bathroom was missing it's standard amenities. Mahalo for recognizing our convenient Waikiki location, exceptional overall cleanliness and amazing value. I hope that you find the luxury property you were seeking on your next trip at an affordable price like ours.

Warm Island Regards,

Beijing, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Reseonable price
Good location
Not for honeymoon but for a family

Easy to enter waikiki, restaurant and shopping!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
WVO_Resort_Manager, General Manager at Waikiki Marina Resort at the Ilikai, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Aloha from the Waikiki Marina Resort at the Ilikai. Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience at our property. We are so glad to hear that you recognized our superior value and appreciated our convenient location. Hope to see you again during your next trip.

Kind Regards,

Union City, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

My wife and I are timeshare owners with Shell Vacations and we stayed here at the Ilikai for a week in November 2013. In no particular order, my observations are as follows:

1) The location is perfect! Right in the middle of everything. The Ala Moana Mall is within walking distance going north and many other shopping areas within walking distance going south.
2) The staff is the best I've seen anywhere (and I've been to a lot of places!). From the time I drove up, the valet was right there to welcome you. The bell staff was waiting to take my luggage. The check-in had very minor hiccups (for timeshare owners, this was in a little office on the second floor). Also, for some very odd reason, since my wife made the reservation, she had to be present for the check-in, even though both our names are on the timeshare. This was inconvenient since my wife is temporarily disabled and unnecessary mobility was difficult.
3) Housekeeping is outstanding. As a timeshare owner, we only get one scheduled cleaning, which is fine. However, housekeeping checked in on us 2-3 other times to empty the garbage and provided fresh towels.
4) The Bar & Grill restaurant in the lobby had a wide variety of items on the menu and very reasonably priced. I usually expect to get gouged at hotel restaurants, especially at tourist locations. But this place was great all-around and we had breakfast here four times and dinner once. Be sure to mention that you are a guest and they will give you a 10% discount. Unfortunately for me, I did not find out about this until my fourth visit. Regardless, even without the discount, the pricing was very good.
5) Usually at timeshare locations, you get mobbed by what I call "timeshare vultures". The sales reps will hound you to attend a timeshare presentation. This was not the case at the Ilikai. We went to see Brandon, the concierge for tourist activities. He scheduled four events for us and mentioned that if we attended a timeshare update for about 45 minutes, we would get discounts on all of our activities. He was not aggressive in pushing us to attend and we agreed to do so. The update lasted for just under an hour and we were not pressured into buying anything. We said we weren't interested and everyone said goodbye and that was it. As a result, we received over $400 in discounts on all the activities we had scheduled. Definitely worth our time.
6) We didn't check out the pool. Don't even know where it was. The hotel was just a short walk away from the beach and right next door to the Hilton which had a lagoon that was not restricted to Hilton guests only. Whether you want the beach or hang out at the lagoon, neither was crowded.
7) Other reviewers had commented on the rooms being outdated. I did not see this. Our room on the 19th floor was very nice and modern. No musky or moldy odors from outdated rooms. The only bad thing was the free wifi. Not very reliable and didn't always have a connection. Other reviewers have noted this also.

Bottom line: The Ilikai was one of the nicest places we have ever stayed. We will definitely go back the next time we are in Oahu. I rarely give a 5-star rating for anything, and even though there were very minor issues (check-in, wifi), the excellent staff (Kendra, Brandon, all of housekeeping) more than made up for it.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are nice, but if you want a GREAT room (which is an ocean view room), don'...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Shell W, Social Media Team at Waikiki Marina Resort at the Ilikai, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We appreciate your kind words and will share them with our staff. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the Bar and Grill restaurant and property location near the Ala Moana Mall. As you know, we have many resorts which house a large number of guests and their wireless devices. We are working to better the wireless connection at our resorts but this process will take some time. Your feedback will help us to continue improving the guest experience. We look forward to your next visit.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We had Studio apartment, Junior Lanai Suite with Partial Ocean Views. Overlooked Hawaiian Hilton, could see Luau from our balcony each night. Ocean view ok, it was partial so can't complain. Full size kitchen although cupboard space was taken up with crockery, glasses etc, there was nowhere to put food except on bench, not a big deal. Kingsize bed very comfortable. Lounge and chair comfy also.
Wifi was not great, it worked on my husbands laptop most of the time, although he plugged it into wall just to be safe as he needed to work. I was unable to get signal on my Samsung tablet for more than a few seconds before it dropped out. It did however work beautifully if I sat in office Suite Room 212!
Laundry was handy, one on each floor I believe.
Sarentos Italian Restaurant on 30th floor was great, although not cheap, food and service was excellent, even if you just go up to see the view it's worth it and they do have Happy Hour each day.
Ilikai Bar was ok, lovely casual atmosphere, breakfast good, we only had appetisers in afternoon, they were not great, usual deep fried stuff.
As for location, there are 2 ABC stores just 2-3 minute walk away which stock most essentials, food, toiletries, alcohol etc. Store also inside Ilikai was handy. Ala Moana Centre only 10 minutes walk, Waikiki main shopping, restaurant area a 20 minute easy walk. The Waikiki Marina Resort at the Ilikai is a little far from Central area, fine if you don't mind walking. If not very mobile it only costs $8-10 for taxi to Ala Moana or Waikiki or you can catch trolley for $2 each or Bus $2.50 each. Bus and Trolley stops straight outside were great and run frequently.
Overall great place to stay but if I returned I would stay closer to Royal Hawaiian Centre.
For Australians Waikiki is not cheap shopping like mainland USA, if you are looking for clothes, shoes, handbags etc go to Ross Dress for Less, seem to be the only bargains in the area. Outlets disappointing unless you want a specific brand then maybe worth it.
Paradise Cove Luau was great and so was Navetek Dinner Cruise, we had sit down meal with Lobster and Beef, it was great, if you go Tues or Fri night you cruise longer as they stop for you to watch fireworks.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
WVO_Resort_Manager, General Manager at Waikiki Marina Resort at the Ilikai, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Aloha from the Waikiki Marina Resort at the Ilikai! Thank you for your valuable comments about your lodging experience. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. All of our spacious studio suites offer fully equipped kitchens as well as extremely comfortable beds as you noticed. We apologize for the trouble you had with our free wireless high-speed internet. I am glad you were able to enjoy our independently managed onsite restaurants as well as our easy access to Ala Moana and your partial ocean view. We truly look forward to your next visit.

Warm Regards,
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Called a 'resort within a resort' you turn up at the Ilikai Hotel but check in on the 2nd floor with Shell Vacations. A bit weird. We are wary of timeshare due to a bad past experience but we weren't badgered at all which I was thankful for.

Our room was spacious, a bit dated with paint flaking off here and there. We took a room with two double beds as the room with king bed was not ready but both beds were uncomfortable with dips in the middle of the mattress. The shower was fine but you had to step into a high walled, square tub which may be an issue for anyone with knee or leg problems. The kitchen was well equipped though we only used the fridge and kettle. No flyscreens on the lanai doors so we kept them shut at night in case of bugs.

There is an ABC store and a Food Pantry within walking distance for groceries. Quite a few restaurants within a 10 minute walk and at the mall. The free wifi worked well. We paid a cheaper rate where the room was not made up each day, only towels replaced and the rubbish taken away. We didn't really need that either, we prefer our privacy. There is a laundry room, $2.50 per load, and you can buy powder.

We had a city view, the hotel fronts on to Ala Moana Boulevard and traffic is noisy, even on the upper floors. It's about 15 mins easy walk to Ala Moana mall and 20 mins walk into Waikiki. The buses stop outside.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Waikiki Marina Resort at the Ilikai? Share your experiences!