“Convenient & economical.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Waikiki Marina Resort at the Ilikai

You added Waikiki Marina Resort at the Ilikai to your Saves list
Waikiki Marina Resort at the Ilikai
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   1777 Ala Moana Blvd Suite #212, (take elevator to the second floor), Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Holiday Sale - 30% Off
GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia
“Convenient & economical.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

This is the third time that I have stayed at the Waikiki Marina Resort. I am not a Shell timeshare owner, and have no intention of ever becoming one. However, this facility provides exactly what I want for my Hawaiian vacations: value + comfort. Coming from the east coast, we usually stay for longer than one week, thus having a full kitchen with all cooking and eating utensils is quite valuable. It's not just about saving money...my poor digestive system can't handle the eating out constantly. The rooms are very nicely sized, with space for us to spread out and fantasize that we actually really live in Hawaii. The rooms are very clean. The counter tops are all granite. Some of the woodwork in the room is showing its age, but I'm sure it's on the list for maintenance soon.
The property is well cared for, and the office staff are simply amazing. They always make me wish I worked there...I imagine that it's nice to help people who are on vacation and in a good mood (I know, this is probably not always the case, but I can dream).
The pool is simply perfect...when it wasn't raining, it gets a full day of sun. Thus the water temperature is balmy.
We love being far enough from the action of the Kalakaua Avenue "strip," that we don't hear the buskers or the crowds. It's a really lovely walk along the beach to get to the hot spots.
The retail areas on the first level look like they are being updated since our last visit. There was a new coffee shop (great iced mochas) and I'm curious to know what was going in the really large suite near the pool corridor. The restaurant was also reopened, though we did not eat there.
The veranda is also connected to the pool level at the Edition hotel next door. This allows easy access to Morimoto Waikiki, a really great restaurant.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Tucson, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

I've stayed here several times as a Shell Vacations owner who used my points to stay here. I like it because it is out of the main hustle and bustle but only blocks away. It is a short walk to the ocean and there is a sheltered area to swim in. The suites are comfortable with a full kitchen. Public transportation is easy to access and you can easily walk to the Ala Moana Mall and the main shopping area of Waikiki. The staff is helpful and friendly and not pushy about timeshare tours like some places I've been. There are plenty of good restaurants nearby. Although there is a charge for parking it is commensurate with others in the area. It is easy to rent a car just for a day when you want to drive around the island. You can also get a bus pass and get just about anywhere. All in all very comfortable and convenient.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Goose Creek, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

The location is great with a short walk to the beach/lagoon. Room was clean and staff was very helpful. I would definitely recommend this resort and plan on staying there again next time I visit.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Lumby, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

We stayed at this resort in November and in early April and both times were good experiences with us. First off, it's true that the parking is expensive, but if one prefers private rather than public transit, then it is only reasonable to expect pay for the convenience in a busy city core. Aside from that issue, our accommodation was superb. The suite was bright, clean, very attractively decorated. The bed was so comfortable; the kitchen though small, had all the necessary amenities; and our view of the ocean and lagoon was gorgeous. We did have our own vehicle for getting out of Honolulu to explore the island, but also rode the trolleys and walked extensively as well. The central location and proximity of numerous restaurants, shops and markets, not to mention beautiful Waikiki Beach just a few steps away, made everything relaxed, easy and fun. Above all, the staff were very attentive. The way they called to see that we were comfortable, assisted with any minor problems, and were so open and friendly in their dealings with us, all ensured we had a very enjoyable stay with them. I would definitely recommend this place.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Fremont, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

I stayed 5 nights with my wife and my 2 sons (9 & 12) here and we had a good time. The location of this resort hotel is great i.e. between the famous Ala Moana shopping center and the Waikiki beach. The staff was friendly and although it is owned by the Shell vacation club, the staff didn't push me much to attend their timeshare presentation. We had a city view room in the 17th floor and the view of the Waikiki downtown and the mountain was pretty nice. There are several restaurants right in front of this hotel (Mcdonalds, Outback). The kitchen is fully equipped and we had our breakfasts in the room. Ala Moana shopping center is a short drive (walk) from here and you can get everything there. The famous Waikiki beach is easily accessible on foot from the back of this hotel. Some people on this forum complained about the noise from the construction but that didn't bother us at all (may be beacue we were in the 17th floor).

The only recommendation I have for them is to consider early check-in for customers in future. I arrived in Honolulu in the morning flight from San Francisco and called the hotel around noon to see if they allow any early check-in and I was told to call back at 200pm and when I did that I was still told that I had to come in at 400pm. I understand that they are going by the book and don't blame them but to take their customer satisfaction to the next level, I expect them to be able to alow customers to check in a couple of hours early, if needed, especially, since the check-out time is 10 am.

Overall, we had a good experience here!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

We stayed here for our first trip to hawaii, with a teenager and 2 year old, it was perfect because of the location to the lagoon, for the little one and the ala moana shopping center for our teen. The only down for my son was that there was no tub in the room, other than that, the staff are great, the partial ocean view was beautiful and the beds are the most comfortable we've ever slept in in a hotel so far!!!

Room Tip: shell hospitality website
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

We truly enjoyed our stay on Waikiki. We were there 12 nights and the Waikiki Marina Resort was the perfect place to stay- for a reasonable price. The first week we walked everywhere or used the trolleys. The remaining time we had a vehicle, so that was nice. The only negative thing I can think of to say is that valet parking is a little high at the resort (as it is everywhere) but we just parked in the public parking lot behind the hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Waikiki Marina Resort at the Ilikai? Share your experiences!