“Wonderful, Wonderful.......” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Alberta
“Wonderful, Wonderful.......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Outrigger Luana Waikiki for 1 week mid-October. What a wonderful stay. We had stayed there previously before the Outrigger chain revamped it - and it was nice then too. Great centralized location, you can walk to Ala Moana or to Waikiki beach with ease. Diamond Head is a fair hike from here but still do-able. The hotel itself is very nice. Wonderfully maintained. Beautiful lobby - Hawaiian decor, clean, friendly desk staff, always an elevator waiting for you.

The room itself was lovely - just like the pictures. We had a corner studio room c/w comfy queen bed w/storage underneath, sofa, table and 2 chairs, tile floor, A/C, t.v., internet, iron & small ironing board, fridge, large kitchen counter w/sink, dishes, cutlery, bathroom had a hairblower, small tub. Balcony had 2 wicker chairs and end table. The carved wooden Hawaiian lamps in the room are great - one is a man the other a woman both in hula poses. There was no toaster or microwave though but for $8 we picked a toaster up at WalMart and saved on breakfasts and lunches by having them in our room - not to mention the pounds we avoided gaining by not eating large meals 3 times a day.

The pool was crystal clear, cleaned daily, had lots of pool chairs - towels at the front desk. They also have a very nice gym c/w 2 treadmills, eliptical, 2 exercise bikes, free weights and several weight machines.

Overall, only 2 minor complaints. The shower could use a new shower head. A bit of street noise but was eliminated by the A/C running. Neverthe less, we'll be back!

• Liked — Wonderful Hawaiian decor
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
sugar land
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2008

It was our first visit to Hawaii and really had no idea of where to stay. After looking at several hotels I narrowed it down to a few and ended up picking this one, but after our stay, I don't think we'll be back.
PROS
-location is excellent. just a few blocks from shopping, many good places to eat, nice green park next door, and beaches close by.
-room size is good
-rooms with kitchenette nice and convenience
-quiet in the halls
-pool,BBQ area, and work out area on site
-room decor nice
-really liked the toiletries
CONS
-stayed in room with partial city view - NOISE WAS HORRIBLE. Every night could hear traffic, sirens, car alarms, etc...I don't know if rooms on the opposite side of the hotel are much better
-if the outside noise didn't wake us up, the in room AC units would. When that sucker kicks in, IT IS LOUD
-every time I got in the shower I could smell mold. I actually cleaned some off the shower curtain, but smell still lingered
-staff were not that nice. I think only twice were we greeted when we entered the bldg
-parking $18/day and only 1 elevator would access the garage so you hoped that would be the one that would stop on your floor when you wanted to leave
-first day and a half only one elevator worked. I climbed to and from the 14th floor a total of 5 times each way

If you're willing to spend a little more I think it'd be well worth it. Stay in the area, but off of this main street.

• Stayed October 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2008

We chose this hotel specifically because the online description said to quote a particular code if we wanted a honeymoon upgrade. When we checked in, we asked about the code and were informed that there was no such thing. When we complained, we were told that perhaps the code was useful at one of the other Outrigger locations. Upsides included cleanliness, full kitchen, good value; downsides (aside from no honeymoon code) included lots of street noise for the city or mountain view room we had and the parking isn't free. The parking garage is also narrow and the exit onto a busy street is tricky, so beware if you are bringing a large vehicle. Overall, I probably would stay here again but I am kind of annoyed that the honeymoon upgrade was not available as advertized.

• Liked — clean rooms with full kitchen
  • Disliked — advertised upgrades that did not exist
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2008

This was my first trip to Hawaii and the Outrigger Luana was a great hotel/condo. I booked a city view with kitchenette. All the kitchen amenities you could ask for. Very nice pool with cabanas if the sun gets to be too much. They even have a barbeque area if you feel like getting some fresh fish from the market (highly recommended). The staff is very friendly and accommodating, still allowing me access to the garage and a shower room 8 hours after I checked out. The $18/day for parking is a little steep, but if you want to get out and explore life beyond Waikiki, it is great to have this hotel at the beginning of the main strip. Their Tour Desk was not open (probably because I went off season), but the front desk put me in touch with the tour desks at the other Outriggers in Waikiki, who were happy to make arrangements. The beach is only a five minute walk away, so why anyone would pay upwards of another $100/night to be right on the beach is beyond me!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Parking Fee
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Luana for 3 nights, prior to a cruise to the other Hawaiian Islands. Everything went like clockwork. We liked our room, the view was nice, check-in went very smoothly,and I'd stay there again in a heartbeat. It's a few blocks from the International Market Place, and a short walk to a beach, but not really far from anywhere. I would recommend it. We booked with United Vacations and it was their choice for us to stay there.

• Liked — That's hard to say... it was all 'best'.
  • Disliked — Nothing to like least, so I'd have to say the location is a little less than ideal.. would be ncer to be right on the beach. Not a big deal, though.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

Very impressed with this hotel. I attended a 4 day training class and trip was paid for by the company. The class was relatively easy and left me AMPLE time to enjoy this hotel and other sights. I was on the seventh floor, with a view overlooking the main strip (ala moana blvd) and had a great partial view of the ocean and Waikiki from the balcony. Two queen size beds, which if I dig deep, would be my only complaint; I found the bed to be too soft. BUT this is minor! Room was very clean, with sink and seperate bathroom with sink as well. It had a small refridgerator and service was sublime! John the night clerk recommended a most excellent pub when I arrived late in the evening (The Yard House, 130 beers on tap!) Tired and a little razzzeled from Honolulu's slightly confusing maze of streets, John knew the look and instantly recommended the place. Outstanding!
Service was well maintained on all levels! The hotel front is located right on the Ala Moana and within easy reach of everything you want...shopping during the day, nightlife, and Waikiki is but a couple blocks. Not directly on the beach, but who cares...outstanding facility!
Another person who attended the class had a slightly different room on the 6th floor, with king bed, and overlooking the park (no ocean view). He did however have a two burner stove and microwave in the room, which mine did not. But I did not care, I enjoyed some fabulous food at other places.

Parking is available; however I am not sure if they charge for this or not. As I said, company paid the bill. I had G2 parking with my own slot assigned. My companion had G1 parking and did not have a specific spot assigned. He did try to park within G2 one night, but received a notice not to park there again, only on G1. So G2 may cost more to park.
And if you like Ribs, Tony Roma's is a block up the street on the opposite side and a good Thai Restaurant, Keos is located directly across. 'nuff said, enjoyed my time at Waikiki! Brilliant hotel!

• Liked — room
  • Disliked — tv (sound was interupted constantly, no signal, cable issues)
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

Just returned from our second stay at the Outrigger Luana. Once again our stay was fantastic. We have stayed at several other hotels in Waikiki in the past but the Luana is the best - it is ideally situated in Waikiki within walking distance of the best shopping and restaurants, it provides lovely units which are well kept and very clean, and importantly all the staff are friendly and helpful. We requested the same 1 bedroom unit as we had had the previous year and they obliged – not only that but as it was a special anniversary for us they left a small bottle of champagne and a card for us on our arrival.

We also traveled with a friend, it was their first time in Hawaii – they rented a studio with kitchen and they loved the hotel as well. We all can’t wait to go back.

We would recommend this condo-hotel to anyone looking for more than just a hotel room in Waikiki – having kitchen facilities can be very useful even if you don’t want to use them everyday.

• Liked — Friendly Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Luana Waikiki? Share your experiences!