“Large Rooms but take the park side” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Suite Special - Save 20%
Ranked #20 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Victoria British Columbia Canada
“Large Rooms but take the park side”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I booked my kitchenette suite on-line for $119 which is a good price for Waikiki. The kitchen is well-equipped except for a coffee grinder and when I phone housekeeping, they said they didn't have one. The cafe offered to grind my coffee beans for me at no charge. Considering the size of the Outrigger chain, they should have at least one coffee bean grinder on hand. Hawaiian coffee is highly advertised.

The room was very large and comfortable. I was on the 15th floor and despite being so high, the noise from Kalakaua was enough to disrupt my sleep. Since the regular rooms have a fridge and sink, I wouldn't get a kitchenette next time but would put the money towards a room facing the park.

When I went to the pool, all the towels were gone and there was no way I could see to get more. Perhaps there was a phone to housekeeping but I didn't see it. There is a barbecue and some bar tables at one side of the pool area overlooking Fort Derussy Park. You could watch the sunset from there.

The hotel is at the Honolulu end of Waikiki. I walked to the Ala Moana shopping center and there are bus stops very near the hotel. If you walk the other way, it is not far to all the Waikik restaurants and stores. The front desk staff was helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Get one facing the park as high up as possible.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

909 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Spent three nights here in a studio unit with a kitchenette. It was great to be able to make breakfast in our room. We had a 'partial ocean view' on the sunny side of the building. Couldn't spend much time on the lanai because of the bright sunlight. This place is across a large park from the heart of Waikiki so you're not bombarded by the tourists, but you are close enough to go there when you want to. Staff was very helpful and friendly. The concierge was very helpful in planning a tour of Pearl Harbor.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
covington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My mom and I booked our weeklong trip 8 months in advance. We got there and they told us that they were overbooked and were gonna send us to a different hotel with an upgrade. They paid for the cab and sent us to the ghetto, there was a homeless man sleeping at the door of the new hotel. I was not happy, alongside our room was not even ready. Two hours later we made it back to the Luana, they upgraded us from a studio to a one bedroom partial ocean for the trouble. That was nice.
The room was very nice and the beds super comfy, I slept on the pull out sofa bed and surprisingly it was comfy as well. They also have free wifi in the rooms and a free inroom safe that ended up being used more than I thought. The rooms are very spacious and provided a lot of room.
Complaints: I am under 5ft tall and the shower head hit me in the chest, it was so short and not adjustable. They give you one coffee bag per day which is enough for one cup of coffee and they charge you for extra. Also, our sliding glass door to the lanai was extremely hard to open and didnt lock.
All in all, I would probably stay here again, it is very conveniently located, you are in the middle of waikiki so you can walk easily to the mall, beach, fort derussy, pink trolley, etc. Also, they have the most delicious water in the lobby all day long with fresh fruits inside and they have a snack around 2pm.
P.S. they set up travel for us (by our request) to the outlet mall, dont ever go there it is a waste of time and money, there is only a handful of stores.

Room Tip: The rooms looking over the park are super quiet and provide a beautiful view!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stated here in our first trip to Hawaii with a view of running the Honolulu Marathon. The hotel rooms are bested aimed at travellers seeking independence as you get a kitchenette rather than a fully serviced hotel. This was perfect for us. The hotel is situated in Waikiki and near Ala Moana, with full restaurants and shops nearby. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
A suburb of Detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was just your basic hotel room, with a kitchenette- which is actually somewhat difficult to find in Honolulu without spending a fortune. It was clean, and the kitchenette does save some money on food, though it's hard to store/cook a real meal with just a 2 burner stovetop and a mini-fridge. Still, I thought the value was good for the location and the level of hotel.

Staff was extremely friendly, and checking in and out were a breeze. They put a very small hold on my card for incidentals, much less than I was expecting (it was either $20 or $25). Beds were very comfortable. Partial Ocean View room gave a very nice view of the ocean and the park. And the cafe downstairs had good coffee and breakfast, at prices that are about average for the area. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a kitchen or kitchenette. Eating out in Honolulu is insanely expensive. Also, the pa...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have stayed here three times over the last couple of years and absolutely love it. Close to both Waikiki and Ala Moana, and a lovely short walk through Fort Derussy Park to beach. The staff are friendly and helpful. Can't imagine I would stay in any other hotel in Waikiki.

Room Tip: It's worth the little extra for the partial ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Cambridge Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My wife and I spent a week during Thanksgiving week. There is a tone or mood that every hotel creates not just by its ambiance but also by its interaction with guests. This place has got it right! You feel welcomed and appreciated. Staff are gracious, friendly and helpful. It's a small hotel and we enjoyed the quieter atmosphere. We had a corner suite, ocean view, with full kitchen on an upper floor. It was great. Two balconies, well equipped kitchen, living area, good sized bedroom, bath and a large closet with safe. Clean, comfortable, simple and dignified. Loved the location. You overlook Fort de Russy park. A very short walk to the beach and all the shops in Waikiki. Easy access to public transport. We walked to the Ala Moana Shopping Center in under 20 min. The concierge staff were very helpful in helping us sort out our tours and planning our week. The pool was a refreshing option after a busy day touring. There is a bar b q area where you can grill a steak etc , all well organized. Very happy holiday here.

Room Tip: The ocean side rooms are quieter and try and get an upper story for the view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Luana Waikiki? Share your experiences!