“Very close to the beach” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

You added Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2552 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #48 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Chico, California
“Very close to the beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2007

We booked a last-minute trip to Honolulu and ended up staying at this hotel for 5 nights. The hotel is very nice and Waikiki Beach is literally across the street. We had paid for a garden-view room, but when we got there they had automatically upgraded us to an ocean-view room which was very nice. The staff were very polite and accomodating.
We did a package deal with the hotel that included free buffet breakfast every morning. I thought the buffet breakfast was okay (the scrambled eggs were gross) and my husband liked the custom omelette station. There is a pool with a bar near it on the third floor (the Moana Terrace) with a view of the beach below - the view is nice, but the drinks there are pretty crummy and expensive. I only mention it because it's a nice place to sip a drink and watch the sun go down.
Parking at the hotel is expensive (as it is with other hotels in this area). We paid $25 a day for valet parking. It's cheaper if you self-park, but harder to do in their small parking garage. Unless you plan on driving all over the island, pass on getting a rental car. We found that most of the things we wanted to do we could get there by walking or by taking a shuttle bus. A lot of the tour companies picked us up at our hotel, so we really only used our rental car for driving around the island one day and getting to and from the airport.

Stayed February 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2007

Ideally located across the street from the beach, the recently renovated (partially) Waikiki Beach Marriott is a safe bet for a nice hotel. If possible, ask for a “makai” (ocean side) room, as the mauna (mountain) tower has not been fully renovated (as of my last visit). Being a large hotel, check in/out can be tedious and arduous, or it can be a tropical breeze—depending on the busloads of tourist that may be in line. Other than the most expensive hotels, almost everything is Waikiki is a a little bit “tired.” But I find the rooms here to be of moderate quality and finish, if they have been part of the recent remodel. All rooms that I have experienced have thin walls. Enjoy evening cocktails as you watch the sun set from the ocean view pool deck located a few floors above street level, or walk across the street for the nightly torch lighting and hula performances. I give the hotel only 3 stars because I think there are better values out there. I paid $125 for my last single room, which was probably a lower than average rate.

Stayed December 2005
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2007

We stayed at the Marriott Waikiki Feb 14-17, 2007. Because I had read reviews about noise at this hotel, I e mailed them to request a quiet room on a higher floor. They responded quickly and promised to honor my request. We were completely satisfied. The beds were really comfortable. The room was decorated nicely. We had a full view of Diamond Head out our sliding doors and a partial view of the ocean. The air conditioner on the roof of the building across the street that another Trip Advisor contributor complained about was below our balcony. We could hear it, but we felt it served to muffle the sounds of traffic that one can not escape in most Waikiki hotel rooms. We have stayed at many hotels in Waikiki (all the Sheratons, Hilton, Outriggers, Embassy Suites, etc). Waikiki is a busy place; it is somewhat unreasonable to expect a room in the middle of a busy city to be quiet. We found the Marriott to be as good or better than other hotels. We would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Beds, location
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
sierra foothills CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2007

Stayed 5 nights through Pleasant holidays which included partial ocean view upgrade and 2 breakfast buffets each morning. We were in the rear tower which made it tough to see the ocean without hanging over the railing but we weren't in the room enough for this to matter. The breakfast has many items and was delicious but I dont usually gorge myself in the morning so wouldn't pay 20 bucks or so for it. Drink service around the pools was nonexistent for us . I went up to the bar and the bartender would only give me one drink at a time so had to deliver wifes then go back and sign again for mine. Do not stay on back side of front tower that is where air conditioner and parking lot is. The temp in our room was perfect day and night I dont even know if the air was on or not, never heard anything. Our departure was at midnight and we cou;ld access our luggage to change but were not informed of a hospitality room. We arrived late also, 11:30pm by the time we got situated, Tiki bar next door saved the day for food and drinks. After a hike to top of Diamond Head we stopped in to LuLu's on the corner. We ordered lunch and 2 beers. Lunch arrived before the waitress could walk 20 feet for the beers. ( the place was almost empty) She then informed us one of the beers we ordered was all out. We finished lunch before she could return with a replacement. Way to hang loose baby!
Our room was very quiet, never knew we had neighbors. Elevator service was fine although sometimes funky. Once while descending just as we got to the first floor the elevator suddenly shot upwards and got to the 25th floor before we could stop it. I believe disneyland has a similiar ride.
The staff and housekeeping were very friendly, I borrowed the maids vacuum cleaner to suck the air out of my space bags!
No need for a car although one should rent one for a day and go to the north shore. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, good place and location

Stayed February 2007
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2007

I stayed at the Marriott Waikiki back in August 2006. I used my Marriott points for 4 nights, and paid for 2 nights. Although it was a little pricey, it was worth every penny. We had an awesome ocean view room with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. The location was perfect too..you could walk almost anywhere you wanted to go, or conveniently get a taxi out front. The best part of this hotel was the concirge--Curt. He works at other Marriott properties on the island as well and he took care of everything we needed. I was impressed by the service at this Marriott. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Liked — The beds!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2007

Stayed here Feb 2007 and overall liked the hotel.

The hotel is just across the street from the beach and perfect location for shopping. The bed was probably the most comfortable hotel bed I have slept in.

The breakfast buffet was very good with a wide selection.

The hotel is older and does show some wear and tear and its decor is outdated. The pool is about the size of a small backyard pool.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2007

I recently returned from a stay, mid January at the Marriott
Waikiki which was a major disappointment. Although the
restaurants and shops on the first floor were good, the
rooms for the price were substandard. Our room had
furniture that was old and very beat up, the bathroom was old,
housekeeping showed up every day after 2 pm, there was no blow dryer in our room and the help wasn't going out of their
way to offer "aloha spirit" in any way. The Hilton Hawaiian Village
which I have stayed at in the past is a far superior hotel at a
better price.

Been to Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!