“ok, hotel but has some problems.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2552 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$50 Nightly Credit
Ranked #46 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“ok, hotel but has some problems.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We move hotels here after the first hotel we had booked through Expedia was covered in mould , comparatively this hotel was lovely.

However, the marriott did have its problems. The first you find out when you arrive you have a compulsory 25 dollars plus tax a day added to you bill, no arguments you have to have it. Its for all the fitness classes you won't take, the Hawaii newspaper you wont read etc. I mentioned on check in this was a stealth charge designed to lower their rate in order for them to appear cheaper and it was unfair to charge this without mentioning it. The receptionist told us it was fully disclosed on their website. Well, 1 we didn't book on the web we booked through expedia who didn't mention that charge and 2 we looked on the web and couldn't see it...look yourself!

The next problem is we booked a sea view room. What you need to know about this hotel is it's huge and consists of two towers one behind the other in relation to the beach. So, if your in the back tower you can see the beach it's that little bit either side of the tower block in front of you!

Parking was expensive( 33/39 dollars per day) but we have come to expect paying for the privilege of driving your car at a US hotel.

Room service was the next problem. We left at 5am one morning to do a tour. We in our fog of sleepiness and zombie like state made the cardinal sin of forgetting to leave a tip for room service. Low and behold on our return late and tired wanting coffee, we found no coffee and no cups, the minimum of making the bed had been done, that was it. So I believe in tipping good service and as they hadn't blatantly provided that...... so then ensued a stupid game not tipping and nothing being done in our room. You surely shouldn't have to tip and if you don't it shouldn't be a problem. My wife tired of hunting the cleaning trolley down and retrieving cups coffee etc then gave a tip and miraculously the service resumed....You tip for excellent service not to ensure the minimum. They're lucky anyway as here in the UK we don't have a tipping thing like in the US where your constantly shelling out money to everyone who even speaks to you.

Some rooms higher have two balconies others lower have one. I would ensure you know exactly what your room has and whether it's in the front tower or back.

In summary it was a nice hotel but had some problems.

Room Tip: A high room in the front tower.

2,318 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
SF
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Too many hairs in the bathroom. Carpet stained and disgusting, lobby check in process felt like the DMV - complete with resort fee for who knows what. Loud and couldn't sleep. This place has deteriorated. At least the linens are nice.

Room Tip: 4 th floor was really loud - near the pool and street noise.
Montesano, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This hotel is outstanding, and lives up to the Marriott name. With everything from the plush beds and pillows to the bath products (bath and body works shampoo and conditioner). What an experience; We were greeted by email about a week prior to our stay by the concierge that asked us if there was anything we were interested in while we were here. I asked about surf lessons and we were signed up with the Faith Surf School, which was an awesome experience for my daughter, that will be another trip advisor review. Then a manager emailed me a few days prior to our stay letting us know that they would do everything possible to upgrade our room and make sure that our stay was good. I had already upgraded with points to an Ocean Front Junior Suite in the Kealohilani Tower so I thought I probably wouldn't get any better room, but he made sure that I had the view facing to the West towards Waikiki. I would strongly recommend you book this Corner, Ocean Front Junior Suite; Our room had a large vanity with double sinks, a bath tub and separate shower. The fridge was in the bath room but I thought that was great because It had a nice coffee station right above the fridge that allowed my family to remain sleeping while I was up early.

Being an elite member of Marriott Rewards really shows at this hotel, we were given a breakfast coupon for each day of our stay, plus at the hotel restaurants we receive a 25% discount just for being an elite customer.

Didn't really use the pool much but there is full service at the pool area for food and beverages, lots of lounge chairs to lay out, plenty of towels.

There is a good size laundry room here, but be prepared for the heafty fee to use it. $3.25 per load for washer and $3.00 per load for dryer.

ABC store in this hotel is awesome, I needed something before they were open and the guy let me in to get what I needed.

Seattle Best Coffee in this hotel and they have breakfast sandwiches, Starbbucks and Cold Stone are just a block down. Kuhio Grill is an awesome buffet restaurant and you can use your free mai tai coupons there as well. Oh if you purchase an entertainment book, this Kuhio grill is in there, as is two coupons to cold stone and a luau coupon for the Polynesian Cultural Center.

I strongly recommend renting a car, although there is a good size fee to pay to park at the hotel, but I went through AAA for a week car rental for $208, cheaper than any other I found and I was able to stop at Walmart for all my groceries. We went through alot of water so buying a few cases at Walmart is a great idea.

Oh buy your souvineers at Walmart too, if you don't have a car there is bus service to get you there, it is a little over a mile to Walmart.

Room Tip: Book a room in the K tower, Corner Junior Suite is the best room here, that I know about. Views out...
Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Checking in a family of 3 into the tiniest room when they have a portable crib and luggage was inconsiderate. We couldn't even open up a piece of luggage when portable crib was set up. Looking directly at an open 2 car garage wasn't particularly pleasant either. We waited for our main luggage to be brought to the room for over half an hour. When we called downstairs to ask when it would arrive, front desk told us it was "on route to you right now ma'am". I called the bell desk 10 minutes later and they were holding it there and asked if we were happy with the room. I told them that I was told that my luggage was already on its way 10 minutes ago. I called front desk again and finally got someone who agreed to change our room for a slightly bigger one that preferably didn't open to a garage. The second room was an improvement but we had to go through hell to get it. Terrible service from the first check in experience. Front desk should look at the family of 3 and NOT give them a room that really is for a single person.

Paying for resort fee of $26+ per day for wifi and your free daily Mai tai is a rort.
I know all hotels in the area do it, but what are we actually covering costs for here??? The hotel needs to be more transparent about what they need this fee for. Internet access and a cheap drink of juice with a splash of alcohol with a canned cherry and .2c umbrella on top nor the server who puts it together for $7/hour and washes your glass afterward sure doesn't equal $26 of cost to the hotel. I don't even drink Mai Tais so never claimed this "free" daily Mai Tai. What a joke.

We were transiting through here for 2 nights before picking up our international flight. We'd been staying in real 4 star hotels for the last 3 weeks then came here to this. This is not a 4 star hotel by a long shot. It's low 3 star and rooms are old and dated. Bath tub was dirty and brown where it's slip proof. I wouldn't bathe my 2 year old in that so just had to shower her with me. Balcony had graffiti badly 'washed off' so it just looked like brown swirls of dirty water trying to scrub it off.

The bed was comfortable and second room was spacious. Pool towels are thin and cheap. Really not a 4 star experience. Family to our left kept their 2 children up till 1:30am on both nights we stayed and they ran around their room screaming and randomly hitting the wall. I know its vacation time for everyone but at least show some consideration for your neighbors and don't let them tell at the top of their voices after midnight.

• Stayed June 2013
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed here after staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, so it felt a little small and not so great, but the hilton was the best hotel ever. So it was hard to tell if it was just okay, or the other place was just amazing. Two nice pools, one very hot, hot tub. Great location. Not on the beach, but litterally on the other side of the street, with direct access, the beach is the only thing on the other side. Good buffets at the lower level resturant. The Moana Terrace looked nice, but we never had a chance to go there. Would have been good for drinks by the pool. Good hotel.Great location if you plan to go to the zoo, maybe a 2 minute walk. You couldn't be any closer. Plus right in front of Kuhio beach ( I wish we would have done the torch lighting ceremony).

Room Tip: room 758 had a nice balcony and table and chairs outside
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We booked a one bedroom suite with an Ocean view, we were nervous about this hotel maybe being a little tired especially after reading the reviews on trip advisor. Yes, it does give you that impression at first but I think it's just the styling.
The service was outstanding from the minute we arrived until our departure. We stayed here for nine nights and didn't want to leave and come home. The location is perfect, away from all the hustle and bustle. We also went and checked out other hotels while we were there and we're so pleased with our choice.
The Hawaiian people are so nice and friendly. The view is amazing. We have traveled to quite a few countries in the world, this is one of our most relaxing holidays.
Just perfect!!!

Room Tip: The corner suite is amazing. Go for higher level.
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Second trip to Hawaii and Waikiki this time for pleasure. Stayed 6 nights using Marriott Rewards for FREE! This is my second stay at this Hotel as well. Exception was the $25 resort FEE. I didn't mind paying as the wife and I used the services. Just so you know the $25 included an international breakfast (value $23 one meal), wifi in the room if you need it (value $15 a day), and a mai tai drink ($10 value each). So the Resort fee was a good deal in my opinion. Now onto the Food at the Kuhio Beach Grill for the breakfast (hotel restaurant). There is no doubt that this place serves some of the better tasting/quantity for meals especially breakfast buffet. The price is par with Waikiki area in my opinion. Unless you want junk food. My room was the same as last time, a little outdated, but on the other side of the tower so I had Awesome beach views. Only one real complaint. The night we flew in (it was late) our card would not open the door. Being on the 15th floor did not make this any easier. 3 trips, security and 30 minutes later we were able to get in our room. Smooth sailing after that. I would stay here a 3rd time also. Thanks for reading.

RetiredArmyRANGER

Room Tip: The higher you go the better the view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!