“Resort & Spa??” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Booking.com Marriott.com
Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2552 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Up To 20% Off Resorts
Ranked #45 of 83 hotels in Honolulu
Southampton, New York
“Resort & Spa??”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I'm a Marriott points guy -not exclusively, but for short stay business travel, the Marriott brand is a safe bet. Marriott owns Ritz-Carlton of course so if you want to dial it up and get your Marriott points, Ritz Carlton is a solid option. My travel service recommended this Marriott in Waikiki Beach given proximity to everything, the hotel is labeled as a resort and spa, sounded like a notch up from a mainstream Marriott, and the price was fair. I'll start with the positive points: Hotel room is clean, restaurant is good, specialty shops in the lobby like the ever-present ABC Store is very handy, very nice gym with modern equipment on the 3rd floor, and the view from my balcony looked directly at Diamond Head mountain and Waikiki beach. Now for the reality check...this is by no means a resort and spa. They may HAVE a spa, and want to call themselves a resort, but a resort is a destination you would want to bring your wife/husband/family, has great all around service, exclusive shopping, great dining experiences, recreation, beautiful swimming pools, kids activities, friendly staff, -all on the property. For instance there is a pool on the third floor, but I have seen much larger and more resort like pools in private residences than this tiny, overcrowded pool. The deck chairs were not anything you would want to sit in for a long time -no cushions, and absolutely no waiter staff. The gym is right at the pool so you have people coming out of the gym going directly into the pool..real nice. The restaurant is essentially a big buffet and does have decent food for a Marriott...not for a resort. The shops in the hotel are what you would find in the middle aisle at a shopping mall -the pop-up type vendors that are selling stuff made in China. My room...I expected decent "resort & spa" shampoo, conditioner, soap -instead it's the same detergent grade soap you get at any Marriott. The valet parking staff was surprisingly rude -double parking valet cars in the driveway so my cab couldn't get out, and the valet told me "you have to wait until we move the car". I went to collect my checked baggage at the bell stand and the first question the bellman asked me was "did you happen to see where they brought your bags?" Now for the location -yes it's central, and right on Kalakaua Avenue, across from beach, near the Honolulu Zoo, and a bunch of shopping on Kalakaua Avenue. Now for what is not on the website..there are more homeless people sleeping and walking around across the street from this hotel than I have seen in any part of New York City. They are everywhere and being from NYC I have pretty good situational awareness...you don't want to walk this street alone at night or venture too far behind the hotel, and police are camped out pretty close by so that should be a red flag. Surfers abound at the public beach across the street, but this is not a soft-sand, destination beach that you would spend the day at, let alone take your shoes off and go in the water. It's a public beach right on Kalakaua Avenue -a main thoroughfare for cars, buses, taxis, and people with not shirts who really should have a shirt on. Homeless people using the beach shower and then napping on the sidewalk is not something you want your kids remembering when their friends ask "how was your vacation"? All of this is not Marriott's fault, but you do have to leave the hotel to use the beach and Marriott has no spot on the beach for guests.
At night the bars on the street and rooftop levels are outdoors which means you get to hear music blasting from your room ..and I was way up on a high floor! So my caution here is that when you see a "Resort & Spa" hotel in the $200.00 a night range, something is up. Resorts cost more because true resorts are an entirely different experience and someplace where it's just easy to relax. This is not a resort -this is a hotel that just happens to be across from a public beach, with a whole lot of tour groups crowding the lobby starting early in the morning on their way to Pearl Harbor. If you want a resort -there are other options close by, for just a bit more $$ that you won't regret flying all that way for.

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool is not suggested :)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

2,126 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Whittier, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was very pleased with my stay here. We had an ocean view room on the 16th floor of tower K and the view was breath taking from both the window and balcony. The room was clean and the beds oh so comfortable. Staff was very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is my third stay at this hotel and I have always liked it but I was a little disappointed this time. My Average rating is because I just expected more from this level of hotel and this property in particular. Check-in was horrendous--although they were trying to accommodate a bed type in one of our rooms, the person assisting at the desk disappeared for long periods of time and, after 30 minutes, we were still in the same room configuration we had started with. I had plenty of time to chat with others checking in who were all experiencing similar delays. The room itself was fine, a typical Marriott, but housekeeping sometimes didn't arrive until very late in the day. I like the terrace restaurant and enjoy listening to music out there but I noticed that they've squeezed in more seating so the dance area that was always fun has disappeared. Another restaurant on the property was under construction so we skipped that. Pool area was nice--there are two areas with plenty of shade versus sun options, but the walk in between the two pools is rather barren except for a corner where people huddle to smoke. I will always love the location of this hotel, close to restaurants and shops and beach but also an easy stroll to the park and the neighborhoods just off Waikiki. Just wish it was still as magical as my first stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
NJ, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is nice and the service is very good. It is right on Waikiki beach ... which is obviously a huge draw. It is a Marriott, which always brings a leave of consistency. We only needed one night stay before we headed back to home after 12 days in Kauai. It certainly serviced its purpose ... we enjoyed the breakfast, the pool, the beach and the shopping.

The rooms are big enough ... the bathrooms a bit small. The atmosphere is fast paced, but the service is very good.

Aloha.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Cleveland, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Rooms could use some updating but the price was right, location was very good and our two doubles with a sofa bed easily accommodated our family of 4.

Carpet is old looking and worn, beds are super soft, flat panel TV's with a hookup for laptops so you can stream to the tv.

Pools are decent, on the third floor, and out of the view of the street. Live music at the poolside restaurant most nights.

• Stayed April 2013
Binghamton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Many reviews already list the pros and cons of this hotel - great location, food, pool, bars, gym... only downside is the $25 for internet access. I give it five stars.

But I wanted to name two people who made out stay really great. The first was Nancy at the concierge desk. She helped us plan so many different activities and was genuinely excited for us to experience it all. She had an insider's knowledge of everything from parking spots to local restaurant entrées. She went the extra mile to help us reserve some selective spots at the last minute. It would not have been the same trip without her.

The second person is Hitomi at the Hawaiian Accessories gift shop. This shop is located in the arcade just around the corner from the check-in desk. It was important that I bring back some special gifts from this trip and Hitomi did more than just recommend something. She was able to give me a lot of the history of Hawaiian crafts, shells and stones. She taught me how to select pearls and wrapped everything with extra attention to detail. She even wrote a card in Hawaiian to attach to the gift bag.

I hope that the Marriott acknowledges both these individuals for providing such great service on our trip, and that others will have the same experience we did. Thank you!

Room Tip: They might upgrade you for free if you ask.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a very enjoyable stay at the Waikiki Beach Marriott. We were lucky enough to get upgraded to a ocean front room on a high floor. The views were absolutely amazing and the noise and crowds on Waikiki Beach were far away. The room was surprisingly spacious and the room was decorated in nice soft colors. Our requests for extra towels and a feather free room (allergies) were taken care of quickly. We decided not to use valet parking and instead self park (just drive past the main entrance to the hotel on Ohua St to enter the parking garage). I'm not sure if it saved us that much money, but it was very easy to self park and easier to get the car in the morning when we wanted to leave. The only problem we had with self parking is that sometimes it was quite full. I think a lot of beach goers/restaurant visitors may park in that garage also. We never had a problem finding a spot, but one time we were all the way on the top level and there were very few spots remaining. We did not spend a lot of time at the hotel as we preferred to see the rest of Oahu (Waikiki is not really my favorite part of the island), but we did check out the pool and bar area in the evening and they were really nice. The pool is about 3 floors off of the street, so it is relaxing to sit up there. The hotel is very large and can be a little confusing, but it didn't really bother us (once we figured out which elevator took us to our room). We are already planning another trip back to Hawaii and will be staying here again because we had such a good experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!