“Not overly impressed!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

You added Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2552 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #48 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Edmonton, Canada
“Not overly impressed!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed at this hotel 2 years ago and again just recently. This is a 4 star hotel on the fast-track to becoming a 3 star hotel. Service was spotty, prices were high. Water from the tap smelled like it was coming from a swamp. Carpets and rugs were dirty and worn, especially in common areas. Still a nice place to visit, but seeing the difference that two years make, I won't be going back. This hotel likely more suitable for the party crowd as it is located in an extremely noisy area at the end of Waikiki beach. Woke up every night to the sounds of vehicle back-up beepers and sirens. Lots of street people around here as well, camping on the sidewalks and the bushes on / near the beach. Probably much better / quieter places for a family vacation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I normally don't stay at a Marriott in Honolulu and since I this hotel was less than my normal hotel, and the fact that I am an Elite Member, I opted for this hotel. Big Mistake.

The rooms are OK, at best. I leave at 6 am while I am here for work and return at 5 pm or so and in that amount of time, the housekeeping staff didn't make up my room. They had 11 hours to make up my room and I had to return to my room unkept and I had complained. That day, I had a video conference and the housekeeping staff was making up my room during the video conference. Not acceptable.

The valet/parking service is awful. The local taxi company's come in and they block the entrance and exit of the hotel for those who elected to use the Valet service. The Valet's themselves complain about this but the management of the hotel seems to allow this. For me, this was a pain in the a .... OK neck.

I found the elevator cars messy and with lots of spills on the floor. As far as returning here, I guess I would have to say that I would opt for my normal hotel which I really like, but is a little more expensive, about another $20 per night. Point being take the more expensive hotel and leave this in your rear view mirror.

Lastly, I found the hotel rooms to be noisy to the outside. I could hear the trucks and buses from the outside. Again, something that I find to be unacceptable especially since I have to be up at 5:30 am for work.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Baton Rouge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I stay in a lot of hotels ranging widely in quality, and I have learned the telltale signs of a badly run hotel. During my stay here, the hotel made many mistakes, all minor, but the number of mistakes and the repetition of the same ones tell me there is no attention to the quality of service customers deserve. In my case, they made the same mistake four times. Yes, it was a minor one, not even worth mentioning. The first time they fixed it. Then they made the same mistake again (and were told by me), and again and once again, at which time I just gave up. On top of that they charged me for something they assured me was free (but they did correct it). And finally, imagine asking for a restaurant recommendation and being told that outside of their restaurants and the Italian one next door, they were not aware of any restaurants nearby.

I usually prefer Hiltons and Hyatts. I haven't stayed in a Marriott in years and probably won't for awhile. In general, the hotel does need some renovation but it's tolerable. Of course, when you're the Marriott Waikiki, you're not going to have a shortage of customers, so they can do almost anything and not worry about it.

In short, they're coasting on their prime location and general Marriott reputation, but this hotel is far below the minimum standards you ought to get for even much less money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

It's right across the street from Waikiki beach, so you have access to all of the Waikiki experience. You won't be in the executive lounge anytime soon, and it seems to lack the other usual Marriott amenities. Rooms will need renovating in a few years, and elevators are slow. Not a bad property

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Spent a couple of weeks at the Waikiki Beach Marriott. Have stayed at better hotels before and will not be staying with them ever again. The furniture (the couch was old and dirty); the bathtub grout needs to be replaced; very old plumbling; bathroom is very small and no where to hang your towels. Paper cups for 'complimentary' coffee and tea - hot coffee in paper cups - really?? Not up to the Marriott standard. Housekeeping staff was nice. No microwaves. No breakfast. The $25 (+ tax) per night resort fee is just deplorable and a cash grab, especially when the benefits were worthless to us. Would have preferred paying the $25 per day for breakfast. For 15 minutes, we continuously tried to call for a bell boy to get our luggage before checking out, there was no response. We eventually had to take our own luggage down. Will definitely not staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My family and I were stopping though Honolulu to see the Pearl Harbor memorial and other sites in the area before moving on to our relaxing part of the vacation.

Our experience here was marginal,overall I will not stay here again.

My comments:
Resort Fee, I was able to have them remove the "resort fee" since I bought a rate with breakfast included, but I would have been very annoyed had they continued to push the 25$ a day fee. Be warned.

The lobby didn't keep fresh water or coffee available to their guests and I actually thought at this level of Marriott that was standard.

There is no concierge level for elite members, again a perk that I have had at most Marriott locations I have visited in large cities, and it seems a little cheap to me to not have this perk considering the rate that I was paying.

Finally, the wear and tear on the rooms. The rooms my parents and I were in seemed to be in rough shape, The bag stand broke when I put my bag on it, the carpet was worn, and the room just seemed tired. As did much of the hotel.

On the plus side the service was good and everyone was very helpful.
They put a small roll away in the room for my son, they were responsive at the valet desk and the car was always there when we called ahead, the team seems to work hard for the hotel yet the management seems to not worry about facilities.

The nice things about the hotel in terms of facilities/rooms were:
updated and modern workout room
Soft and comfortable bedding

I will not be staying here again, unless this hotel does some major upgrades, is more up front about their fees and actually takes care of the Marriott members that spend many nights in this brand.

Room Tip: None of the rooms face the ocean, there are ocean views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
new jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have had a few pleasant stays at the Waikiki Beach Marriott over the last several years, most recently last year. But this trip I will not be staying with them, nor will I ever again. They started charging a $25 per night resort fee for free internet and scuba lessons. Gold and Platinum rewards members get free internet at all locations. A 30-minute scuba lesson is not worth the 7 days x $25/day for someone who is not remotely interested in scuba diving. I called the hotel to double check on this fee and was told "We charge everyone." End of story. The Hilton Waikiki behind the Marriot is great. No resort fee, no internet fee for gold or diamond members (plus free breakfast and evening snacks for gold/platinum in the executive lounge 7 days a week). I would recommend you sacrifice the location one long block from the beach, for all the benefits.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!