“Meh...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2552 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Up To 20% Off Resorts
Ranked #44 of 83 hotels in Honolulu
New York
“Meh...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We were in Honolulu during the Honolulu Marathon (not to run it) and we booked a king size bed with a partial ocean view but weren't given neither since the hotel was booked up and we didn't check in until late in the evening. The resort fee of $25 per night is a bit of rip-off since we weren't really interested in the hotel's activities nor slow internet (I can just use my data plan instead). We used the drink card included in the resort fee but only because we had paid for it, otherwise we'd rather drink somewhere else.

The room was ok, bit small but clean and well kept. The location is at the end of main strip so it's a little bit of a walk to the center of attractions/shopping along Kalakaua St.

2,120 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I will be choosing another hotel the next time I visit Waikiki.

My family has been staying at Marriott's for years, and this is the poorest experience we've had. I arrived at the hotel around 10am and had to wait 20 minutes to check in. This was nothing compared to the line later in the evening. They need more staff on duty 24/7. The front desk staff didn't give you any more than was required to.

Our room was nice, but the beds were terrible- lumpy, soft mattress, not ideal when you want a good nights sleep. There was an issue with our tv which I had to call the front desk about. I had to spell things out to the person who I spoke with because they didn't understand the remote does not work. A technician arrived within 10 minutes who was wonderful and embraced everything about the aloha spirit which is missing from the rest of the staff.

The free wifi only works in a small part of the lobby.

They also charged the credit card presented at check in, not the one the room was booked on. This was not advised up front, so has a created an unwanted charge for us.

Room Tip: High floors have a better view of the ocean.
Balloch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed here for 16 nights in Nov/Dec and were pleasantly surprised. We normally stay at another hotel but due to renovations there we decided to book the Marriot. After reading the reviews I was slightly worried and was very apprehensive regarding our forthcoming trip.

Arrived at 9pm after a 29 hour trip from Scotland and was welcomed promptly and given the keys to our room. The room was spacious and had everything that was needed if not more for our stay. We had a partial deluxe ocean view which was excellent. We did not pay the resort fee maybe this was due to us booking through British Airways and free calls to the USA would not have been something that would have been useful to us.

The hotel is very well appointed with all the facilities a traveller would need eg. gym, laundry room, pool towels etc.

The food and service around the pool was excellent. The poolside staff were attentive and pleasant without being intrusive. Occasionally I would see guests who were rude and make great demands on the very busy staff. Not acceptable behaviour in my view.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in the hotel and would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tacoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The hotel is comfortable and nice. What I question are variables in what was told to us...ocean view, a set rate, etc. When we arrived, our rooms were "partial" view (from balcony), one party got buffet breakfast every day, but two of our party didn't which upset us, and upon arrival we were all told (3 rooms) that we had to pay a resort fee which went into effect in September even though our reservations were made in February! Maid and activity people, including fitness people were great.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

This is a huge hotel that occupies the entire block with two towers, K - Kealohilani Tower and P - Paoakalani Tower. K tower is right across from the beach and newer than P tower.

This was my second trip to Hawaii and I wanted to book a room with nice ocean view for my family. I originally chose Premium Ocean View and I thought it would be nice enough to spend Christmas season there. But I was wrong. The room I got was on 27th floor of P tower, away from the beach and the ocean view was only partial, maybe 30%.

The hotel staff offered me another room with Premium Ocean View but it did not make so much difference. They told me that I needed to upgrade to Deluxe Ocean View for a better view. So I decided to upgrade in the last minute.

The next room I got was on 14th floor of K tower. Now more than 80% of the view from my room was ocean and beach. I ended up in paying about $520 per night after tax and resort fee. It was a bit pricy but the view was worth the money. There is one drawback on the Delux Ocean View. Since the hotel is located on east side of the beach, you cannot see sunrise from the Deluxe Ocean View rooms

I posted some of the views from the hotel rooms.

Sterling, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I have been to Hawaii many times and have even stayed at this Marriott in the past, in fact I was here for more or less the same dates last year. The hotel has begun to charge a $25 "Resort Fee" which pays for your internet and gives you a free drink at the bar a day. The internet is so slow that you can barley use it to view a webpage, I had to use my MiFi to connect. Of course you can pay even more money to have a faster internet, which should be given to platinum members to begin with.

The hotel feels like it has just stopped trying. We walked through many other hotels in Waikiki to look at the Christmas decorations that they all had and some were simply amazing and then of course we came back to our place and they didn't really try. The service at the bars was slow and the staff again doesn't seem like they really care if you have a drink when you want one or not.

The only members of the staff that seemed like they even went out of their way to acknowledge you were members of the housekeeping staff. Overall the hotel just knows that it is full because it is the large Marriott in Waikiki and the location and brand will keep them full weather you or I ever come back.

At the end of our stay we asked about a late check out, the hotel advertises a $99 fee to stay in your room till 9pm if you have a late flight. When we asked about it we were by the front desk the hotel was full and it was not going to happen, which is fine. When my friend decided to ask the front desk manager about seeing what he could do for a platinum member, we once again were out of luck. Which again, we understand, but never hurts to ask. What the manager did not know is while my friend was asking about this I was sitting down watching this. When my friend walked away the manager looked at the front desk employee, shook his head, made some comment and they both laughed.

That was about the last straw, I don't care what a customer were to do or say (he was not rude or crazy), no employee, let alone a manager should act like that. Let alone in front of another employee, because that just shows the people that work for him that sort of behavior is acceptable when dealing with guests. And that is exactly what is wrong with this hotel, the overall culture just does not seem to care.

I will never stay at this hotel again based on the condescending and disrespectful actions by the one manager.

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean View.
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed December 2012 for the Honolulu Marathon. Great location, across from the beach and close walking distance to all the shopping and dining options of Waikiki. Hotel was clean and comfortable, were upgraded to a suite, which was a great deal since we booked through Priceline. Nice pool area with lots of lounge chairs. Hotel also has taxis with set airport pricing of $29, which was a good price. Breakfast buffet was expensive, but great selection of food. Would recommend and stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!