“Nice place eventually” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

You added Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2552 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #48 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice place eventually”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We bought an "ocean view" room. But you have to understand the layout of the hotel to understand that. There are two buildings -- one about a block from the ocean; the other behind and to the side of the the first. Think about two buildings on each side of a street, and you have a room about a block back. You can see a piece of the ocean approximately the width of a two-lane city street two blocks away. That pretty well stretches the meaning of "ocean view". When I complained they gave me a great room, but treated is as though it's no big deal; that other room had an ocean view too.

Room Tip: There's a coffee shop at the front of the building that has "cheap" breakfasts and wi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
furnitureruss
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I'd like to preface my comments by saying I've stayed at this property about 5 or 6 different times over the years on vacation. I'll always consider coming back, but I'll be prepared for less the next time.

Here are some of the little extras that went bye bye .....

We checked in on Thanksgiving day. We arrived at 1:45 pm (check in is officially 3pm) .... I asked if my room was ready. The front desk said it was not. I checked back at 2:30, again, no, room is not ready. At 3pm I checked in. When I got to my room I saw the cleaning crew in the hall. Curiously I asked them ... "did you just finish this room?" They responded ... "nope, that room was vacant last night - no need to clean it." OK, really? How much trouble would it really be to let us check in one hour early? It was just a front desk clerk who wasn't going to budge on the check in time. (ps ... I'm a platinum member with about 100 nights per year staying in Marriott properties) .....

The platinum gift I received in 2010 was a beautiful fruit tray. In 2012 it was a small can of nuts and two bottles of water.

Not that this matters to me, but it did to my wife .... the tropical soaps and lotions they used to have are now replaced by the standard issue soap and lotion you find at all their properties.

The room key used to have Hawaiian themes on them, now the room key is the "standard issue grey" used in all properties.

Notepads in the room used to have tropical design ... nope ... standard issue now.

None of these things would make me consider staying elsewhere, but its a combination of the company cutting out the "little niceties" they used to offer & making the property as un-special as possible.

I will say again .... the staff is nice, the pools are nice, the atmosphere is fun and relaxed, the proximity to the ocean can't be beat.

I realize some people stay at this hotel on business, but the majority stay as a Hawaiian Vacation .. bring back some of the little touches that made the property feel like a resort (and not just a hotel).

Fortunately for me, we used point + cash for the room, so we only paid $100 per night, and I didn't have to pay the resort fee (thankfully) .... The resort fee is $25 ... I asked what it covers ... you get discounts at some of their restaurants, you get X minutes of international calling, you get to fax X amount of pages per day ..... really? Like that is a perk? Again ... most people are on vacation. Who's faxing? The phone calls .... can you name anyone who doesn't have a cell phone in this day and age. What the $25 fee amounts to is bottom line dollars for Marriott .... you do not get near that value for that fee. Parking is $37 per day + tax. Paid more to park than for the rental car itself.

I'm done beating this property up, but know this. This is a business hotel that tries hard to be a resort. I'm not saying it isn't nice. But how many Hawaiian vacations do you take a year (or in a lifetime for that matter)? For some it may be a one-time thing. Do your homework!!!!!

Room Tip: The K tower is the one closest to the ocean ... you want that tower. You also want a room facing t...
Bellevue, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed here during thanks giving vacation and the highlights are following:
Goods:
1) Great staff! They helped me in easy checkout and exceeded my expectation by offering the hospitality room service even without asking.
2)Location is great , the beach is just crossing a street. The hotel is near to the diamond head so you can go for hiking easily and can save some time.
2)our room got upgraded to full ocean view.
3)helpful concierge .
4)Hertx car rental right in the building.
5)the ABC store and the crepe place near by was perfect for doing little shopping and for the breakfast.
bads:
1)hotel rooms are little old atleast our room was old. may be the other tower is newer one.
2)its at one end of the waikiki which is good and bad both. its more quieter but at the same time main maket is about 10 min walk.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Came first time to Hawaii with my wife. Orbitz lost our reservation for one of the other hotel we booked. So it was a very last minute. We told the Marriott what happened and that we are on our honeymoon. We got a room on the 30th floor with the view of the ocean and for a very good price. The room was very clean and cozy. It has everything you need to stay and enjoy your stay. Shower, mini fridge and a tv. We will defiantly be returning to this hotel next time we be in Hawaii.

• Stayed November 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This was the first hotel that we stayed at on our honeymoon and it was a great location with an awesome view. We had requested a King bed in our reservation, but there were not any available so the front desk upgraded us to a Junior Suite w/ocean view. The suite had two balconies one over looking the city and the other looking right out on the ocean! This hotel is located right across the street from Waikiki Beach and it is very easy to walk to everything in the area as well as get into/out of the garage with our rental car. It is on the end of Kalakaua Ave closest to the Honolulu Zoo so traffic wise it was less busy compared to staying at a hotel in the middle of the strip. We didn't use the hotel amenities since we had so many activities planned. When we plan our next trip to Oahu I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Our room was clean and comfortable - as others have said it's not 5-star, but that's not what I wanted. We had an ocean-view room on one of the upper floors...it was nice to sit on the balcony for big parts of the day and look at the water. Both the beach and the Honolulu Zoo are easily accessible from here. The staff was super-friendly and bent over backwards to help us. Great little shops and boutiques to get a trinket, although there are likely lower-priced places around. All in all, I'd highly recommend it here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
richmond, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We only stayed at the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort and Spa for a few hours. We had a long layover in HNL and didn't want to spend it at the airport. We called the resort that same day and asked if they had day rooms. They really didn't but since we were Platinum members, they only charged us $99 for the room which we really appreciated. Took a cab over to the property (about $40) and were blown away by how close it was to everything, including the beach! They even upgraded us to an awesome room with a spectacular view of the Ocean. We were so bummed that we couldn't spend more time there. We walked around for several hours in downtown Waikiki (LOTS of shopping nearby). What a great location! They also gave us a coupon so we only had to pay $29 to get back to the airport. The service was great, location was great and our room was fabulous. I can't thank them enough!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!