“Pretty nice for Waikiki” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

You added Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2552 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #48 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Phoenix, Arizona
“Pretty nice for Waikiki”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I don't quite understand why people were giving this hotel not so great reviews. I have stayed in quite a few Waikiki hotels and this one was in the top 5 in my experience. The rooms are a decent size. Large flat screen tv. Granite vanity and nice furniture. Refrigerator. Coffee maker. Nice bedding, comfortable and clean linens. Bath and Body Works toiletries. Nice lanai with 2 chairs and a little table. We pulled the office chair out there since there were 3 of us. We were on the 29th floor in the back of the rear tower, furthest from the water. We had booked an ocean view room and I was concerned we were too far... but the view was amazing. There is a Seattle's Best coffee shop in our tower, right by the elevator so it was nice and close. 2 coffee shops on site, 2 ABC stores on site. Everything was very convenient. They have a poolside happy hour at the beach side pool which also had a lovely view. The location is good, it is very close to Queen Kapiolani park and the zoo. Plenty within walking distance. Lots of homeless people around but that is a problem pretty much everywhere on the island now days. The thing that I thought was outrageous was the cost for parking. $30 a day! This is the highest I have seen. However, the Waikiki Banyan hotel, just north offers parking for the public at $10 a day with in/out privileges. Since we were in the north tower, this garage was actually a closer walk than the Marriott's garage. City noise will follow you pretty much anywhere in Waikiki and we happen to like it so we left the door open all night. If this is a problem for you I'd suggest ear plugs and of course keeping the door closed. A lot of Waikiki hotels have an old feel and are condo like or not your typical hotel feel...this one however feels very hotel-like. What you'd expect from a hotel. Oh and one last thing...don't leave your snacks on the balcony. The birds beg for food and attacked our brie when we left it outside for a moment.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oxford, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

It was our first time in Honolulu, and we chose this hotel because we are Marriott Vacation Club's owners. The hotel is nice and has lots of facilities (Pool, Spa, Restaurants, Shops).

We had the opportunity to test the staff since the very first moment with a small accident that I had at the entrance (I cut my finger). The bell boy was very friendly and helpful and the security staff reacted immediately, giving me first aids. Another day, my sister lost her purse in the lobby and the security staff helped her to find it. They were great!!

In the front desk, the recepcionist was not very friendly and the check-in took more time than the usual when you had already prebooked through Marriott. She also started talking about "extra charges" that the hotel usually has for the third person in a room and that she would ignore it as a compliment by making a new reservation. We already had our reservation confirmed with this rate "free of charge" as a courtesy from Marriott Club. So, I think this was very pointless and a lost of time.

She gave us 2 rooms in the 6 floor with view over the street. The rooms were very clean and with excellent amenities. Unlike other Marriott hotels, this has no complimentary Internet. One of the rooms was quite noisy (from the street and a loading zone located below) during early morning.

The location is very good, close to the shops and with easy access from the airport. Also the tour buses stop there. We had a car, so we used the parking from the Banyan hotel. It is cheaper (only $10/night) than the hotel parking ($30/night). Some Marriotts has free parking for guests. But be careful, you have to pay day by day or a entire week. The first day, we didn't pay for the entire week and we were going to other island on day three, so in our second day we had to pay a full week in advance and we regretted of not having paid it in the first day.

The beach in front of the hotel was a little bit crowded and partly closed, but is OK. All the beaches in Hawaii are public. We had a car so we went to the north shore which have beautiful beaches.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor facing the beach!!!!
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

I stayed at this property recently during the week of 16 JAN 12. I was on a business trip for a work related conference.

First, the positives -

Prime Location. The property is located on the eastern side of Waikiki next to the beach. Enough said.

Staff. Friendly, helpful, and always available.

Rooms. Decent. Nothing out of this world, but there are LED TVs and rooms have a balcony, which was great for relaxing in the evening and having a drink while the sun goes down.

Fitness Center. Recently renovated and near state of the art. My common complaint with hotel gyms these days is that they lack enough modern equipment. Same here - how about some kettle bells and free weights (not just a Smith machine). Also, put a sign on the left door set of doors indicating they don't work and that you should use the ones on the right so I (and a few others I saw) don't look like an idiot trying my key a few times. Also, update the location in the info books in the room AND the signs in the elevators (and tell your staff too - a girl working at the spa still thought it was in its old location). Why would you change the location of a key facility in your hotel without concurrently updating directions?

Stores. There is a plethora of stores integrated into the property. The best two were the Seattle Coffee (super slow service, though) and the ABC Store, great for late night snacks and drinks.

And some negatives...

Elevators. A little too old school for me. Probably originals from whatever property might have existed at this location prior to the Marriott. Not all of the elevator buttons would light up as they should have when pushed.

Parking. Outrageous at $30 a day, especially for the inconvenient construction of the garage. Also, the garage elevators were out of order for three days during my stay. Getting back in the evening from work, I was subjected to five flights of stairs. Not a big deal for me, but I felt for the boyfriend who got out of the car after checking in with his girlfriend and was faced with five floors of his and her bags. Welcome to the Marriott Waikiki!

Lounge? No lounge for Plats / Gold Status Marriott members? Definitely a minority property in terms of that. Every other property I stay at provides Platinums with a free buffet coupon when they don't have a lounge (and they are apologetic when doing so).

Hawaii 5-0 Filming? While this may sound cool on the surface, it just resulted in getting heaps of people standing around the hotel to watch a cut-rate show that I've regretfully had to watch on an airplane (thanks, United or Delta.. can't remember which). The crew also choked up the streets around the hotel with massive trucks and various other equipment.

Overall the stay was the lower end of four stars. I had a slight sense that it was downward trending. It will probably be due for a remodeling and could use some attention to some of the negatives I mentioned. I would have stayed at the Edition property if they had been able to retain it.

Room Tip: Take a room with a view of the ocean and beach.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

I spent a couple weeks here in January during an extended stay in Waikiki. This hotel may not be the fanciest, or superlative in any single category. But having seen what you get for the money at some other hotels in Waikiki, this place is probably the best overall choice in terms of bang for the buck.

The location is outstanding. Right across from the best beaches. And walking distance to the zoo and lots of green space in the parks. As I runner, I appreciate the fact that if I run from the hotel, and around the Diamondhead volcano, it is about a 6 mile run. As a person who loves good food, I love the fact that it's within walking distance to literally hundreds of great restaurants. And as a person with a sweet-tooth, I also love that it's right across the street from Yogurtland -- the best frozen yogurt in the world!

I had a room in the "K" tower with a partial ocean view room. This was adequate. If you walk out on the Lanai, you've got a view of the ocean to the side. Sure, a partial ocean view room doesn't allow you to stand at your Lanai door and look straight out at the ocean. You need an ocean view room for that. But how much time would you spend staring at it anyway? And is that really worth the extra $$? Being able to walk onto the Lanai and see the ocean worked out fine for me.

I wouldn't particularly recommend the restaurants at this hotel either. They're fine, but not as good as their prices may make you think they should be. But again, no problem. The location is near many restaurants that serve up great food at very reasonable prices. One of my fav's is Genki sushi, about a half-mile walk from the hotel. It's a fun place that serves up sushi on a conveyor belt. The sushi is fresh, and the conveyor belt is fun!

I ordered room service a couple nights when I was tired and got a hamburger. It was quite good -- certainly nothing to complain about.

And no, the hotel is not location RIGHT ON the beach. You have to walk across the street to get to the beach. But if it were, the place would probably cost an extra hundred dollars a night. I'll gladly cross the street to save that kind of money!

I had a king bed room, and it was huge. Especially by Waikiki standards. The bathroom, desk, two nightstands, round dining table, and 6-drawer dresser were all covered in nice granite tops. There was plenty of hot water. The A/C worked very well and wasn't too loud. The room had a refrigerator. The housekeeping staff was attentive and friendly.

Yes, there is some street noise outside. This is Waikiki. If you don't like street noise, don't come to Waikiki. But it's quiet at night, when you're sleeping, when you NEED it to be quiet. So once again, it's really not an issue.

This isn't a five-star hotel. It's probably a four-star, or a very solid three-and-a-half star hotel. So if you adjust your expectations accordingly, I think you'll find, like I did, that this is an excellent value-choice in Waikiki. I'll definitely return.

Room Tip: If you want morning sun on your Lanai, get a room on the side of the hotel that faces Diamondhead. R...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
los angelos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

Nice hotel, lots of places to eat, right across from the beach, nice room. The negatives: parking is $30 a day self park, internet is nearly $20 a day, although they do have slightly lower rates for multiday access. It's at the diamond head end of Waikiki. So, if your destinations are the other way (arizona memorial, stadium) from diamond head you will spend a lot of extra time in the car due to traffic.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have windows ontwowalls
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Howell, Nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Pros:

- Inviting and beautiful open air lobby with waterfalls
- 2 Conveniently located Seattle’s Best coffee shops
o Iced coffee ran me about $4/day
- 2 Conveniently located ABC stores
o Kealohilani tower ABC store had a larger selection of food
- 5 restaurants: d.k. steakhouse, arancia (Italian), Sensai (sushi and seafood), Kuhio Beach Grill, and Moana Terrace
o Kuhio: expensive breakfast buffet, but they had a good selection with great food. There were assorted breakfast meats, scrambled eggs, rice, oatmeal and cereal, sweets, miso station, pancakes, waffles, and omelet bar. Friday-Sunday they have a prime rib and seafood buffet with crab legs and fresh shrimp. **If you get there before 6pm it is only $27 instead of $37. Tuesday was a local night with a make your own Poke station
o Moana Terrace: Good burgers and nachos. Happy hour specials $4 beers, $5 appetizers, and $6 mixed drinks. There is also a drink of the day that is about $6.50. They had the most delicious pina coladas.
- Clean room
- Bathroom spacious with a handheld shower nozzle, but I think we may have had a handicapped room because other reviewers had complained of a very small bathroom.
- Nice non-smoking balcony
- VERY comfortable bed and pillows
- 2 Pools and 1 Spa
o Pool in Kealohilani tower very, very cold. Paoakalani tower pool heated and salt water but not super salty like other salt water pools I’ve been in. Hot tub is nice, but small. Pool staff extremely nice.
- Free ice and water machine near Moana Terrace Bar
- Gym looks great, but did not use.
- Huge safe that will fit a laptop
- Did not go to the spa, but they have daily early bird and night owl specials: $60 for either a 25 min aroma massage or reflexology massage and $65 for a 25 minutes facial

Cons:

- Stayed on 8th floor and it was a bit noisy. However, if you are from or have lived in/near a city area it will not bother you.
- Front desk not very friendly but concierge was amazingly helpful.
- Sales island on the first floor of the Paoakalani tower and the staff will annoy you every day with samples and try to get you over to their stand.

Advice:

- Wifi: they do have a pay per day option which adds up to about $70/week. HOWEVER, there is a way to get around this. I took my ipad to the lobby each day, near the orange chairs, and picked up the free lobby wifi. I opened my browser and it took me to their website. Click connect to the internet, click I do not have a code and enter your name. This will give you free wifi for 24 hours. In case you have to reconnect, it gives you a free roaming code. All you need to do is go to the lobby each day and repeat the same process.
- Shopping: take the pink line trolley to the ala moana shopping center for only $2 each way. Drivers very friendly and give you a little history and information on the way. Hilo Hattie’s has a free shuttle also that will take you to Hilo Hattie’s, Ala Moana shopping center, Warehouse shopping center and other various locations. These shuttles pick up on the road that runs between the Aston and Marriott.
- For a good local mix plate place, try Me's BBQ: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60982-d434459-Reviews-Me_s_Bar_B_Que-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a higher room. There are up to 33 floors.
Kalamazoo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

We started our Hawaii visit in Honolulu before traveling on to Maui for a conference. This was a great place to stay for our first trip to Honolulu. The location was perfect for the sightseeing that we planned. We spent five days roaming the sights of Oahu ... from the Arizona, Diamond Head to Sunset Beach. The hotel pool was convenient, clean and not overly crowded. We didn't have too much time to spend on the beach but it was great people watching when we were there. The staff was very friendly and efficient. The view of the beach from our room was wonderful.
Unfortunately no complimentary internet.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!