“Health risk” 2 of 5 stars

Toronto, Canada
“Health risk”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This is about my stay at the Maile Sky Court in Honolulu

I would not recommend the hotel to anybody. The hotel was booked through expedia and the stay there poised a very "serious" health risk to us. I would have checked out had I not paid fully for the room prior to leaving on my vacation.

1). the sink was very dirty after house keeping. We could not understand this until we saw back flow of dark/dirty water coming from the drain. This happened many times during the day. This is a very "serious" health issue.
2). same situation with toilet. We flushed the toilet clean and checked it. But then during the next use, we noted solid waste at the bottom of bowl. Again a serious health issue

Above items 1) & 2) were reported to front desk staff. He made no notes nor did he say he will report it.

I am very disappointed and believe that the hotel management knew of this problem but has done nothing and keep on renting the room

Please advise how I can report this to the Hawaii Tourist Board

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MaileSkyCourtHotel, Manager at Maile Sky Court, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Aloha upset400! Thank you for sharing your concerns with us on TripAdvisor and giving us a chance to improve on our discrepancies. We are very sorry that we were unable to provide acceptable accommodations during your stay. We appreciate your feedback and value your opinion of the Maile Sky Court Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I had to go to Honolulu on business and needed to find a hotel for a reasonable price near the Hawaii Convention Center. I went on several of the travel websites ie. Expedia, Orbitz, and Hotels.com. Maile Sky Court was the cheapest at around $89 for a standard room. Well, I went directly to there website and discovered they had a special, full ocean view rooms for $79. I read reviews, googled the location and it seemed like what I was looking for. Before I'd even gotten there I spoke with the staff to confirm my reservations, they were very polite & helpful. I arrived November 28. Gladys checked me in, she was so friendly & helpful. I had requested a room on the highest floor possible. I got a room on the 41st floor. Perfect! I noticed plenty of staff and security, and all very polite. My room wasn't fancy but it was far from horrible. I was very comfortable. The rooms are small but I was alone and it was perfect for me. I had an amazing view. The hotel was about a 10 minute walk to the convention center, there's a gas station, food, and stores right across the street. There's a post office a block away. And if u walk about 5-8 minutes to the Fort DeRussy Beach Park you'll be at the beach or walk about 10 minutes down the main street and there's Kuhio Beach Park. There's plenty of shopping walking distance. (Luxury Row) I had a wonderful experience with this hotel, and with it being my first time in Hawaii, it left a big impression on me. I will definitely visit again.

Room Tip: I would definitely reserve from the website there may be better deals.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
MaileSkyCourtHotel, Manager at Maile Sky Court, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Aloha msj302010! Greetings from the Maile Sky Court Hotel. Thank you for your wonderful review of our staff and facilities. We are appreciative of your patronage to the hotel and for sharing your experience with us. I'm delighted that you found a great room rate on our website for an ocean view room, which also met your need to be near the Hawaii Convention Center. Thank you again. Until next time, take care and hope to see you in the future.
Revelstoke, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed at the Maile Sky Court for one night. We picked this hotel because it was cheap, we arrived late afternoon and were headed to another island the next day.So we didn't need much We were very surprised at how nice it was for the price. Our expectation were low and we got much more than we ever expected...What a treat... We would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Aloha Linnybeer! Thank you for spending a night at our hotel before visiting another one of our islands. I'm delighted that we exceeded your expectations and hope this will bring you and your friends back to our hotel in the future.
Heggedal, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have stayed at the Maile Court Sky twice before, but that was back in 2004 and in 2006. Over the years the hotel seems to have changed affiliation quite often. I think it has been an Outrigger hotel, an Ohana hotel, and i thought it was now a Castle hotel. When I arrived I found out that it is now a part of the Aqua hotel group. In any case the room I stayed in now (on the 29th floor) was much nicer than than the ones I stayed in 6 and 8 years ago - and they weren't bad at that time either. I even had a partial view of the ocean. I had expected to use the WiFi in the lobby, and was pleasantly surprised when there was free and well-functioning internet in my room as well. As everyone else seem to point out the reception staff was great. And the lady cleaning my room did a very good job (not that I made the job difficult for her). So I was very happy to reacquaint myself with the Maile Court Sky. I would be very happy to stay there again, but since I live in Europe and have entered my seventies, I cannot be entirely sure that I will have the chance to come again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Aloha Ketilito! Thank you for returning to the Maile Sky Court Hotel. It's has been an honor and pleasure to have you as our return guest all the way from Norway. It's nice to know that we were able to meet all of your needs and provide a positive experience. I truly hope we will be able to cross paths in the future! Take care.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Best bang for the buck. If u dont mind finding food you will not have a problem. Nice people clean rooms. First time and they made it a good time. Snack machines need more food.Buy some water, juice and snacks put in the fridge and ur good 2 go. Great site beach is 2 minutes walk Post office is 5 and the mallwhich is hudge is a 20 minutes walk.taxi n bus pass in ur face so u can get transportation easy if u dont want 2 walk. Lots of great food places. Dont drink the ice tea at IHOP it sucks Food it great as allways but the fountain drinks taste like diet water no taste of flavour. ABC stores r nice but wallmart will save u money better.Kakarot W

Room Tip: Wash ur laundry 2 blocks down by the pharmacy its cheaper.Kakarot
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
MaileSkyCourtHotel, Manager at Maile Sky Court, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Aloha warren M! I'm happy that you were able to enjoy your stay with us at the Maile Sky Court Hotel. I love your suggestions and tips that were shared. This will be extremely helpful to all your fellow TripAdvisor readers. Thank you, take care and hope to see you again.
Kihei, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We love the Maile SKY Court. It is so very reasonable and the staff is so accommodating.
The price is right it you are not in the market for luxury digs....it is safe, comfortable and on great bus lines. We have stayed there at least 6 or more times. We love the ocean views. Unblocked due to Derussey park in front of the hotel . Great viewing of Friday nite fireworks from the rooms facing ocean.

CHECK IT OUT!!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for ocean view rooms. We love the view at night of Honolulu lites and skyline.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MaileSkyCourtHotel, Manager at Maile Sky Court, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Aloha TOPCHICK1! Thank you for the wonderful review and for frequently visiting the Maile Sky Court Hotel. It's awesome to know that you were pleased with your stay. Yes, our ocean view rooms are spectacular, especially on Friday nights for viewing the fireworks. We definitely look forward to your future visits!
Ljubljana, Slovenia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed two days in november 2012. Actually I was very happy with the hotel. The rooms were very clean and tidy, the hotel staff friendly and location perfect! It was a bit loud but that's not really their fault it's the inconsiderate guests. All in all I would recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Binobin! Aloha from the Maile Sky Court Hotel. We are grateful for your positive review posted on TripAdvisor. Please visit us on your next trip to Oahu, as we would love serve you in the future all the way from Slovenia.

Been to Maile Sky Court? Share your experiences!