“Nothing but love for ya Downbeat Diner!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #394 of 1,792 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: American, Vegetarian, Diner, Vegan
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Downbeat Diner and Lounge is an American style Diner in the heart of the Arts District in Honolulu, serving up Big Island beef burgers, house made veggie burgers, fries, breakfast, milkshakes, and more. With a focus on local produce along with vegetarian options on everything served, Downbeat is a progressive and exciting twenty first century diner.
Miami, Florida
“Nothing but love for ya Downbeat Diner!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

The problem with food is that no one is ever going to be happy about everything! People love to complain about things.

We visited Downbeat early say 5pm- looking for dinner. They had happy hour- 1 dollar off drinks- AWESOME.

Burgers? Pretty good. Prices are not bad either. Our waitress was a pretty thing who was nice and someone came by to refill our water glasses when they got low. So perhaps people need to put a smile on their faces and realize that nothing- ever- is perfect but this place is great. Open late, the bar attached has live music which we came back to hear another night and had more great drinks (RUM punch is DA BOMB) so for us we give it 4 starts until next time!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Honolulu, Hawaii
“Great for a vegetarian!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

This little joint is exactly the kind of funky place I love in C-Town. Great vegetarian/vegan options (and I am a vegetarian), funky atmosphere with the fun booths, different movies and music nights, and alternative staff that I am comfortable with. They are great for late night and their food is pretty darned good. Service is always the one thing that keeps me from saying it is excellent/very good. A lot of times the service ranges from a 2-3 star and ONCE (luckily only once and we finally came back to see if things had changed) a friend of mine and I actually walked out because he and I were barely LOOKED at and after 15 minutes of waiting to get water and then another 10 of nothing. We decided we really wanted to eat dinner, since you know, it was dinner time and they are a restaurant. The owner, who was there and apparently just starting to work the bar that night (oh, and I guess I should have preempted with the fact that there were MAYBE 5 other people in the entire place between the bar and tables) came running out after us, but with an apology she offered for us to come back and have a drink on her. We were starving and I wasn't about to go back for a drink. Maybe if she would have offered food she would have salvaged me much quicker, but as said before, they lost business from my direct circle (and we used to eat there a few times a month, easily) for about a year. I occasionally go now (most recently at the beginning of the year, and once toward the end of last), because I love the food and it is a great vegetarian option as I said before...but I never know if the service will be good or not. I think that they are worth trying if you are in town late night, not overly hungry or ready for the gamble ;-)

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pahoa, Hawaii
“Funky diner/lounge in Chinatown”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

We went in Downbeat for lunch while walking around Chinatown one day checking out the art gallery scene. Definitely not your typical diner! We love the booth seats cover – featuring cartoony pictures of famous people, from Charlie Chaplin to Gandhi! Interesting menu with a variety of meat and veggie burgers, as well as salads, sandwiches, milkshakes, and plenty of mouthwatering desserts! I tried the Teriyaki Burger ($12) with Big Island grass-fed beef, swiss cheese, lettuce, caramelized onion and mushroom, teriyaki sauce, served with Cajun fries. My partner had the Pesto Chicken Sandwich ($10) with grilled vegan chicken on sourdough bread and pesto sauce, red onion, tomato, lettuce. We also tried the vegan dark chocolate brownie ($3) for dessert: very rich, sweet, and gooey tasty! The drink/cocktail list looked quite tempting but it was too warm to have alcohol, so we just drowned ourselves with cold ice tea! Relaxing atmosphere, friendly service, reasonable prices, it’s an oasis in the middle of all the hustle bustle (and blazing hot sun!) of Chinatown.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Friendly place with both traditional and veggie options”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Cool indie place is a bar/club by night. We enjoyed an afternoon lunch here in this Chinatown spot and were taken aback by the wide array of options for veggie/vegans, with traditional options as well. Food was well prepared and service was excellent.

Atlanta, Georgia
“Good Vegetarian Choices and Late Night Option”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

A friend who lives in Chinatown suggested we meet him at this local favorite. It's unique in Chinatown eateries because it has a large array of vegan or vegetarian choices, as well as the usual burgers and salads and beers.

I ordered a vegan burger. It was a healthy alternative, but had very little flavor and not much texture to make it more interesting. My husband and my friends both seemed to enjoy their choices - chef salad and a true Reuben sandwich with fried.

The chef salad was a large, lovely plate of a variety of proteins (chicken, bacon, ham, cheese, hard boiled egg) and salad makings. My husband raved about the Reuben, from the corned beef to the sauerkraut and special sauce, not to mention the fries. He's from NYC, so if he enjoys a Reuben in Honolulu, it must be good.

• Visited October 2013