“Ilikai is back-- excellent value for families on Waikiki” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Now and Save 15%!
Ranked #20 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
facebookgeorgia
“Ilikai is back-- excellent value for families on Waikiki”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

We have stayed at the Ilikai since 1976, and the recent changes and improvements have gone along way to restoring the hotel to its premiere position on the beach. Our family stayed in a two-bedroom suite, and then moved into two one-bedroom suites as the XMAS crowds arrived in town. Therefore, we had an opportunity to sample rooms on different floors and in different configurations. All were in excellent condition, with beautiful views of the sunset or the mountains. The hotel floors were quiet, and since a number of individuals are long-stay residents, everyone seemed to treat their experience less like a hotel and more as a home.

The staff were always responsive, and we had a painless and cheerful check-in and check-out experience. We really enjoyed the location, as we had easy access to Waikiki while still being in walking distance to Ala Moana Shopping Center. The cool thing about the Ilikai is the location. We enjoyed the Friday night fireworks at the Hilton Hawaiian Hotel lagoon-- from our hotel which directly adjoins the Lagoon. The recent opening of the Marriott "Edition" Hotel on the other side of the Ilikai meant we also had access to their "LA" style bar and restaurant area next to their pool. Marimoto is a happening restaurant in the Edition, just fifty yards from the lobby of the Ilikai.

Dining-- one of the best views in Honolulu is in Sarento's, the Italian restaurant on top of the Ilikai. Excellent food, great views of the ocean and sunsets, with a friendly car area as well. The new Ilikai management has restored the blue lights highlighting the outdoor elevator path from the ground to Sarento's,. As we took off in our airplane to return to the mainland, we were able to immediately identify the Ilikai because of those blue lights rising 30 stories. We look forward to our next visit to the Ilikai, and the blue lights will be our first sight as we land at night.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
Campbell River, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

The hotel was nice, good rooms, pool was nothing to get excited about but was warm and quiet. Great location. Room was probably a little overpriced in my opinion but we were here when the Pro Bowl was on so it was all pretty booked out.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

We stayed 10 nights in unit 1115 of the Ilikai in January 2011 and booked through WaikikiOceanfrontRentals.com. Overall, we found the accommodations to be comfortable and good value for the money. We would definitely check out WaikikiOceanfrontRentals.com if we were to return to Hawaii.

We are a family of 5, with 3 kids (ages 6, 4.5, and nearly 3). The unit in which we stayed has a retractable wall to turn a studio into a "1 bedroom". The king bed was firm and comfortable, with nice linens. We put the kids in the king-sized bed in the "bedroom", and took the queen sofa for ourselves. I realize that most sofa beds are, as a matter of course, uncomfortable, but by halfway through our stay we were sure coveting the kid's bed! The sofa bed is soft and a little lumpy, but I have slept on worse... Overall, King bed rating: EXCELLENT, sofa bed rating: SATISFACTORY.

We chose this type of accommodation because we felt that we really needed a full sized kitchen - the costs associated with 30 restaurant meals, and the commensurate behaviour expectations for our 3 young children were too daunting. I was a little disappointed with the cookware and cooking utensils supplied in the kitchen. Non-stick cookware and metal cooking utensils do not mix, as the condition of the cookware demonstrates. This would not have bothered me, were it not for the fact that when I cooked dinner the first night, visible black flakes (about 3-4mm in size) came off the frying pan into our food. At least the large size meant that I was able to easily pick the flakes out of the meal, and I transferred the cooking to another pot that was in better shape. I gave all the cookware a thorough scouring to take off any loose coating particles, and the problem did not recur, but I suggest that the owner invest in either some stainless steel cookware (which goes better with metal cooking utensils) or a new set of non-stick cookware and some plastic cooking utensils. Any potential renters with young children be warned: there are plastic cups, but all the plates and bowls are breakable. We were too afraid of breakage on the hard tile that is the flooring throughout the condo (a logical choice in a beachfront location, obviously) and so ended up serving all our kids' meals on ad-hoc "plates" and "bowls" comprised of Glad container lids and disposable Cheerios containers from ABC. The kitchen faucet drips interminably, I think it needs a new washer or something. Since I was sleeping 6 feet away on the sofa bed, I found this a little annoying. The kitchen does have the necessities for basic meal preparation, and allowed me to make cost-effective, nutritious meals for our family during our stay. Overall kitchen rating: SATISFACTORY/GOOD.

The bathroom is an unremarkable bathroom, except maybe for the fact the the tub is not standard house size, it is probably about 3 1/2 feet long as opposed to a standard tub which is 5 feet I think. So if you like to soak in a bathtub, this is not the room for you. We were mystified at first at how the diverter worked to turn on the shower, but a quick call to Scott got that sorted out (there's a ring to pull down on the tub spout) Overall bathroom rating: GOOD

The lanai is equipped with 2 tables that have 2 chairs each, and since the kitchen's breakfast bar only has 2 stools, we used those tables and chairs quite a lot. The kids loved eating on the lanai, it was a fun novelty for them. The unit is city-side, so they quite enjoyed sitting there and watching the traffic and people down below. Overall lanai rating: EXCELLENT

The Ilikai building itself is nice. The lobby is very comfortable, with an inviting seating area. The concierge desk was quite helpful, and we found that we were able to rent a van for a day through Rob at the desk for less than the quoted prices on Priceline and Travelocity. The coffee shop in the building (walk through the lobby to the courtyard, it's on the left) is priced lower than the others in the neighbourhood (we tried 4 others), the coffee is excellent and the staff are friendly. Half the shops in the lobby level of the building are empty, they could use a revitalization - hopefully they are working on getting those spaces filled. We were quite disappointed with the pool. We only went once, on the morning of our second day. We got there not long after 8:30 and were inundated with rules by the pool attendant. This didn't bother me, I appreciate the need for rules, but when she came over and said that my kids had to be quiet (they are 2- 6 years old, just laughing and splashing in a pool for heaven's sake, what does she think they are going to do, laps?) we just got up and left for the beach (which is way more fun anyway!). I actually felt a little bad, thinking maybe we WERE disturbing other guests, until one of them approached me on the beach about an hour later, saying that she couldn't believe the attendant had said that to me. So if you have kids, don't bother with the pool, it's a no-fun-zone. Head to the beach. Overall Ilikai building and staff: GOOD/EXCELLENT, Overall pool: FAIL

We liked the location. Being so close to the lagoon and beach is awesome - with kids so little, having a short walk that does not involve crossing any streets is a big bonus. The Ala Moana Shopping Centre is a few blocks away - you could actually see Macy's from our lanai - which was great for getting groceries. By giving your phone number at Foodland, you qualify for additional savings (Malakai?) so that saved us $35 on a $261 grocery bill the first day. For non-perishables (ie cereal, crackers) it is cheaper to walk one block from the shopping centre and buy at Walmart, which is open 24 hours. The car rental places are all across the street in Discovery Bay, again very convenient. The Hilton complex right next door has a Round Table pizza restaurant where we enjoyed one night of eating out. There is also a very good (but pricey) ice cream shop in the Hilton complex. The Ilikai is at the western end of Waikiki beach, so not as busy as say the Lewers St area. For us, with little kids, this was great. For singles or no-kids couples though, they may want to be down at the other end, where the high-end stores, trendy restaurants, and night-life are. Overall location : EXCELLENT

Dealing with WaikikiOceanfrontRentals.com was easy. The room was exactly as it appeared on the website. We were fortunate in that there was no booking immediately after us, and so we were able to take advantage of the no additional charge late checkout, which allowed us to stay in our room until it was time to leave for our red-eye flight home. Overall experience with WaikikiOceanfrontRentals.com, and specifically unit 1115: GOOD/EXCELLENT

Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Shoreline WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

Great location on the south end of Waikiki. Clean condo with comfortable stylish furnishings. The owner has thoughtfully provided beach equipment including chairs, mats, cooler and umbrella. The beach is accessible from the back of the condo over a paved walkway. Outdoor shows are typical of Waikiki's nightlife can be heard from the deck, and the condo is perfectly placed to view the Friday fireworks show. Nice (but expensive) restaurant upstairs for special occasion dining accessible by glass elevator. This is the building featured in the Hawaii Five O show opening. We would definitely stay here again.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

The Ilikai Hotel and Suites is at the end of Waikiki closest to the Ala Moana Shopping Centre. You really get exercise when staying at this hotel. We rented Suite #1522- a lovely
studio apartment with small kitchen and large bathroom. Decor is modern and the suite has a large balcony (ours faced the ocean). The suite has everything you need, flat screen TV, DVD player, computer connection, telephone, air conditioning, bath things, and the kitchen is fully equipped. Bring in groceries and you are set to go. The King sized bed seems to have become a little soft since our last visit in 2010. It is great to see the hotel is experiencing a come back. Shops are re-opening as are restaurants. The facility has more staff and it is MUCH more active than it was a year ago. I think the Ilikai is a great deal for people who might like to have breakfast and the odd meal in. We are very pleased with this hotel.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

My fiance and I decided to stay at the Ilikai Hotel and Suites as I had stayed there with my parents about 20 years ago when I was a kid so I knew what the rooms where like and what a great location it's in. The hotel has changed alot since then and it's not nearly as big or modern as it used to be but the rooms are huge if you get a room with a kitchen. The kitchens are pretty basic and don't really have a lot of utensils, but good for breakfast and snacks. Our room was over looking the harbour on the 4th floor and it was lovely to sit on the balcony and watch the sunset. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms clean, as they get serviced everyday. We had a flat screen tv with loads of channels. We loved the fact that you are a 5 minute walk from the Ala Moana Centre and just a short walk around the lagoon to the beach, the Hilton is just next door and has great shopping and restaurants. At night we enjoyed the walk along the beach to restaurants downtown near the international markets. We hired a car for a couple of nights and they have parking under the building for $17 a night. This hotel is great if you like to be out of the downtown area where it's quiter and closer to shopping and reasonably priced!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

Normally I stay at the least expensive motels that I can find that are not a health or safety risk, so that is my comparison group. I generally spend so little time in the room, why bother paying a lot of money for something nicer? On this trip, the first that my wife and I had taken in a long time that didn’t involve visiting family, we decided to splurge a bit and relax in a nicer hotel where we could enjoy the service and views that were advertised on the Ilikia’s website.

One of the most satisfying aspects of this hotel is that the room that we got was actually the same as the picture shown on the hotel’s website and the view from our ocean view room looked out on the ocean. The hotel staff was very helpful and friendly. My only complaint about the hotel was that someone near our room was smoking cigars that made sitting out on our balcony impossible. The smell was so strong that I worried that the hotel staff would think that we were the ones smoking (and therefore incur a $300 charge) in the “no smoking” rooms (which includes the balconies). I asked the front desk about this and they said that I would have to identify the smokers and alert security. I am not sure what I expected the hotel to do, perhaps place smoke detectors on the balconies as well as in the rooms? I place 90% of the blame on the smokers who should know better than smoke in a non-smoking area. Don’t smoke where you are not allowed to smoke!

Our room had a high-speed Ethernet connection, unfortunately the wire wouldn’t reach out to the balcony where we could read and do work with the great view. I know there are work-arounds for this problem, but we weren’t prepared to do anything about it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ilikai Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!