“Iliukai Hospitality” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hope Island, Australia
“Iliukai Hospitality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This hotel is very welcoming and definately shares the Aloha Spirit.
From the greeting in the front driveway as we handed over our rental car right through to the room service staff everyone was wonderful.
We had an ocean view room and it was massive.
The large sliding doors opend onto a good sized balcony. the microwave int eh room was an added bonus.
Alos liked the separate dressing room and 2 large wardrobe areas.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
Buderim, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is a two bedroom condo with a city view/part ocean view. We were not disappointed. Great condo, with fab views. Decent size lounge, bedrooms & bathrooms. Only problem we had was the beds. Very soft mattress in both rooms. My Sister & her Hubby had the main bedroom, and we had the other. This had a queen and a single bed. If someone moved the other person was bounced around. But it is a small price to pay for a great condo. A bit noisy with with the traffic. But it didn't bother us. Great kitchen. Short on glasses though. Had breakfast on lounge lanai as this had the morning sun. We like the location as not in the hub of Waikiki. Nice to be at quiet end. Hilton lagoon next door is so lovely. Friday night fireworks are very good. Will return for sure. Booked via Waikiki Ocean Front Rentals. (recommend)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
southern california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is an iconic landmark. The public areas have been updated nicely and celebrate the hotel's history. The rooms are spacious and have been nicely updated. An "ocean view" room may translate to a direct view of the Hilton Hawaiian Village, but a sliver of ocean is visible if you look to the right. Even so, it is a great value for the location. Some of the furnishings may be a bit worn (e.g. our sofa was a bit threadbare) but the beds and pillows are great. Very friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Canby, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The view was fantastic, and the price was right. We enjoyed our stay at the Ilikai. The privately owned condo we rented through homeaway.com was a real bargain. We were a party of three adults, and never ran out of things to do. Our condo on the 10th floor, had a view of the ocean, harbor, and Kahanamoku Hilton Lagoon. A birds eye view of the Friday night Waikiki fireworks, and a luau that took place nearly each night at the Hilton were also in view.
Located at the beginning of Waikiki beach, we were close to the action, without being in the middle of it.
Important info for your budget, the Ilikai has Valet Parking Only. You will want to keep that in mind for your vacation budget. We enjoyed the service.
There is other paid parking, a block or so off the property, if you don't mind the walk.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed at the Ilikai Hotel for 10 days prior to our cruise. Our room on the 22nd Floor had a lovely view over the beach and the Hilton Lagoon. The room and lanai were huge. Housekeeping did an excellent job each day. We really appreciated the powder room off the bathroom and the desk.

There were several ABC stores within a minutes walk and the hotel was right on the trolley stop. We booked several tours through the tour desk and found them very helpful. We caught the trolley to Waikiki most nights and walked back along the beach. The coffee shop downstairs was excellent value. We took the glass elevator up to Sorento's for sunset cocktails and the view was outstanding.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a higher floor room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lake Balboa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I chose the Ilikai because I am a (Jack Lord) Hawaii Five-0 fan. I also found that the rates and what the Ilikai offered were better than most other hotels so it was a win-win.

My husband and I and our two boys (ages 3 and 1) stayed at the Ilikai from November 1 to 10, 2012. We had a room on the 23rd floor with a view of the ocean and the yacht harbor. I really enjoyed the location as it was not in the middle of everything so it was quieter, yet we were right next door to Waikiki Beach and Ala Moana shopping center. The Honolulu Harbor was very close and we were close to downtown too. Not to mention that the Ilikai is one of the stops for the trolleys that go by so often. Oh and Wailana Coffee House is across the street from Hilton Hawaiian Village and it is open 24 hours, serving breakfast all day. The staff were very friendly and the location was very convenient.

The hotel entrance consists of a staircase and to the right of that is an escalator. There is a small elevator further to the right that is for luggage and strollers.

When we checked in the lady at the front desk was a little flighty. She said we had booked a "veteran's" rate. It was late and I booked the room months ago. All I could remember was that I used whatever code the system online would allow. She told me that to use this rate we would have to write a letter to a veteran. I didn't quite understand, but writing a letter to a veteran was not difficult so I did it and presented it the day before we checked out. Also when my husband checked out, the total hotel charges were LESS than the amount from the online reservation.

With two little kids, we got a room with two double beds. I am used to sleeping on a 6-year-old Serta mattress with a lumpy pillowtop. So these beds and pillows at the Ilikai were HARD and thin. My husband commented on it too. Even though they were hard, they gave you three per bed and we were able to prop them here and there to sleep and, we slept exceptionally well. The hotel provided a rollaway crib for our baby, free of charge. The crib was all metal and looked more like a cage than a crib, but it was free and saved us from renting or bringing our Pack and Play.

The view was spectacular. We could see the ocean, the yacht club in front of it as well as the Honolulu Harbor to the far right. I could actually see cruise ships in port. If you looked down you had a good view of the pool and hotel grounds.

On the first Friday, we took advice from another Trip Advisor review and got pizza from Round Table at the Hilton and took in the Hilton fireworks. I would say we were able to see them, but not all of it. On our last Friday we walked down the ramp and stood along the Hilton Lagoon to watch them which was much better. Also the pizza from Round Table is average, at best. I almost think we could have done better getting pizza at the Ilikai Bar & Grille and saved the walking.

The room was equipped with a mini fridge (which got a lot of use as storage for juice for the little ones), a coffee maker, and microwave oven. There is a small safe in the closet as well as an ironing board and hair dryer. There were also a few hangers and dry cleaning supplies. The closet in the bathroom area had a luggage stand and a few hangers. We only had a tub/shower stall, not separate as in some reviews. It was big enough for our two boys to bathe in. The shower head was Water Pik and it provided very good water pressure. The outside showed some signs of wear - possibly mildew or just cracking. It didn't bother me too much to investigate.

Bathroom amenities were body soap and hand soap; coconut lime shampoo and conditioner, and coconut mango lotion, all exclusively for Aqua Hotels.

Being so high up and with the two little kids, I would have liked to had some netting for the lanai. They probably would have provided it, but we didn't ask. We just held onto the 1-year-old when we were out there. The 3-year-old knew better than to climb or try to fit through the bars. I had read the hotel was grandfathered and that the bars are too far apart - this is certainly true. I know my 26" tall, 25 lb 15-month-old could have gone through them, had he been allowed to try.

The lanai has a small table and two chairs. The air conditioner makes a lot of noise when running on the lanai. Sadly the sun is so hot you can't really sit out there during the day, unless you like it that hot. It would have been wonderful to have a locking screen door to feel the trade winds when it was so hot as there was always a wonderful breeze.

For those of you with little ones, check out my picture regarding the lock on the lanai. I brought baby locks with me because I was unsure of what the door was like. It is a strong metal hook, kind of like an upside down "U," but it is at least 5' high. It was well above my 3-year-old's head. However, when my husband went to get take out and I was doing laundry down the hall, I did not feel safe enough to leave them alone in the room while I went to get the laundry. Thoughts of my 3-year-old taking the desk chair to the lock or my 1-year-old knocking down the lamp and starting a fire were in my head. So I brought them with me. Note: Parents please be safe. Don't leave your kids alone for a second. Kids are capable of anything and anything can happen.

Our housekeeper, God bless her soul, was great. As far as trashing hotel rooms, our two boys have NOTHING on rock stars. :-) I was glad I had my baby wipes with me because they went a long way to cleaning up stains on the bed linens, which were all WHITE. We did our best not to track in so much sand and to keep the room as clean as we could, but she did a wonderful job of replenishing our supplies and cleaning the room for us. And on Saturday she brought free magazines (Honolulu, Whole Living, Wine Spectator). I also noticed that many times she didn't put plastic bags in the trash cans. The cans are typical and small and with kids and the baby's dirty diapers we ended up using grocery bags as liners. I know in California they are working on phasing out plastic store grocery bags and I wonder about Hawaii and whether wastepaper bags are the same way. Maybe she just forgot. It wasn't that big of a deal.

One other great thing is that there is a coin-operated laundry room on every floor, just to the right of the mirror by the elevator. Both the washer and the dryer cost $2.50. There are laundry supplies you can buy for $1.25 so you don't have to go to the sundry store for them. There is also a soda machine that dispenses bottles of soda for $1.50 as well as the ice machine.

Speaking of sand, there is a bather's elevator around the corner from the Ilikai Tower elevator (the main elevator to the hotel rooms). There is also the glass elevator to Sarento's restaurant.

There is a sundries store on the lobby floor. The prices are high, but not much more than you will find at the drug store or grocery store. They really do have a large variety of items. I only wish the store clerks had been friendlier. No one really smiled or engaged in conversation.

As far as friendliness goes, our housekeeper, the bell hop (when we passed him in the elevator), and the dining room manager at Sarento's (Jason Watkins) were the most friendly people we encountered. Pretty much all the other guests we ran into were friendly as well. I wish the front desk had been friendlier and, my husband felt the concierge was lacking.

Every night before sunset there is a man dressed in red and yellow and he blows the conch shell and then the torches are lit. The grounds are very beautiful.

The Ilikai Bar & Grille serves good food that is average price. We ate dinner there on a weeknight and it was pretty empty. When they had the hula show on Friday night, it was packed.

The pool is on the small size and fills up fast. The hotel will supply you with beach towels, but you need to sign a waiver first. Then you are given cards that you exchange for the towels. If you do not turn in the towels, they will charge you $20 for each towel.

The guys and gals at the valet are very friendly and are quick to retrieve your car. They charge $25 a day for valet parking. We tried parking at the yacht harbor as other reviewers recommended, but it was not as easy for the time we needed and it amounted to about the same charge as the hotel valet.

As many others have said, Hilton Hawaiian Village is next door. They have a lagoon that is a short hop from the Ilikai (just down the ramp). This is a great place for families with little kids. We went there often, though the sand was very hard on my husband's feet so he preferred walking a little further to Waikiki beach which is just on the other side of the lagoon.

Though this is not a review for Sarento's, it is part of the hotel. We dined here on our last night. The food is expensive, but not much more than other places around. The view is amazing and the food is wonderful. They allow children and even have a keiki menu - $12 for entree, beverage, and dessert. My only regret is that we wasted meals at nearby Outback and Red Lobster when we could have paid a little more and ate at Sarento's for three nights instead of one. I highly recommend you dine there at least once. When you check in you receive a shell lei for each person along with a coupon booklet that includes 10% off food only at Sarento's. The booklet was a nice touch, but we forgot we had it so we didn't use it.

Other aspects of the hotel are the concierge desk. I did not see him, but my husband did. Apparently he is only there until around 2 in the afternoon. My husband thought he was too pushy with the whole Shell Vacations time share thing and he did not feel he offered much information about what to see. However, there is a huge selection of brochures. Be sure and pick up a free copy of Oahu Gold and/or This Week Oahu which has coupons and tour information.

The hotel has a boutique clothing store on the lobby floor along with Shell Vacations and a small gym. I did not use any of these, but I walked by them. The gym was empty, but it had plenty of treadmills and elliptical machines.

All in all we had a wonderful time at the Ilikai. We would stay there again in a heartbeat. If money was not an object would I stay choose this hotel? I would pick the Halekulani and pay $7k for a three bedroom suite and private butler! But if I wanted a clean, spacious room in a great location, I would always choose the Ilikai.

The hotel layout was easy enough that even my 3-year-old would talk about needing to turn this way and that. It's no secret that the Ilikai is an old hotel, but it has a lot going for it. I hope the new owner can bring it back to its former glory. It would not take much to bring it around. The lobby and grounds are beautiful and Sarento's is a great restaurant with an amazing view. Having room service would be a wonderful addition because there are many times you find yourself wanting something quick without having to walk to get it. You can also order online, but there are too many options and it is frustrating when you are hungry.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an ocean view room. You won't regret it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed in private condo Had the use of all hotel facilities and restaurants. The restaurant on the top floor was first class, reasonably priced and had a view of Hawaiian luau show! Location of this hotel is a10 minute walk in one direction to Ala Moana shopping centre (great bargains) and a ten minute walk in the other direction to major attractions in the heart of Waikiki beach. Amazing. The Ilikai is ideal if you have young children. Just two minutes to the lagoon for hire boats or stand up paddle boarding. Just a few steps further to a quieter section of Waikiki beach.

Shuttle buses to everywhere stop right outside the hotel. The concierge can also book any tour of the island for you.

Room Tip: We chose a two bedroom privately owned condo through vacation rentals Hawaii. Everything provided i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ilikai Hotel & Luxury Suites? Share your experiences!