“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersGold level
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Our family of 3 stayed here for almost 3 weeks while my husband was in town for business. The hotel is clean and location is great. It's 2 blocks to the beach, which was an easy walk, and not on the main busier strip of Kalakaua Ave (the road that runs along the beach). We had Gold status so the complimentary breakfast in the executive lounge was a bonus and helpful when you have a little one. Don't expect anything fancy, but can't beat complimentary! They have an awesome coffee machine that makes cappuccinos, mochas, etc. which is essential "morning fuel" for our family. I recommend the scones; although probably not made in-house, they were pretty good! If you don't have access to the lounge, there's Mac2Go, which sells Starbucks coffee & items to go. I've heard great things about the giant pancakes from the hotel restaurant Mac 24-7, but didn't get a chance to try them. There are also evening appetizers served in the executive lounge which are great to tide you over if you're going to have a late dinner. The lounge was often busy when we were there but the staff is friendly and does their best to try and keep it clean and well-stocked. (Some people go in there with the mentality that it's supposed to be run like a restaurant..and it is not! It's a nice bonus that the hotel offers, so don't be snobby about it!)
The rooms are nicely kept, however as others have mentioned, the bathroom has frosted windows, so it was hard with a little one. I recommend bringing a night light so you don't have to turn all the lights on if you need to see when others are sleeping. Nice design, but probably not so practical ;) Storage was limited..there's one closet in the bathroom, but the dresser drawers were tiny..the kiddos clothes (as small as they are) took up almost all the space. The beds are pretty comfortable, and I personally liked the pillows. I actually considered buying one from the Hilton site!
Our room was a Mountain View on one of the executive floors. The view was beautiful, even though it wasnt facing the ocean, and we caught a few rainbows! :) We were close to the elevators but never heard that much noise. We got our "ocean view" every morning going out to the elevators. The pool is on the 10th floor and kind of in a "wind tunnel", so not that ideal for laying out, but that's what the beach is for! We walked everywhere, so we didn't need to use the workout facilities.
There are tons of places to eat within walking distance. Laundry is valet only, but there's a laundromat (Waikiki Laundry) just a block away.
All in all a great stay...probably not the top choice for families with young children, but we were blessed to be able to tag along, so no complaints here! Great location, comfortable room, good eats...you're in Hawaii..what's not to love? :)

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

2,139 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

This is going to be a bad review but I will try to be fair. Our problems started with high pitched noises making our room uninhabitable on the first night. Staff moved us to a suite & told us we could stay there for the rest of our stay, but next morning someone else's bags were moved into the suite and we were asked to downgrade to a regular room. In compensation the manager offered to refund 2 of our 6 night stay, which we accepted. Our real problems started after we left. Having paid in full for our 6 night stay in advance, our final bill should have contained a credit for the promised 2 nights refund. Instead when I got home I found we had been charged for an additional 4 nights stay! After much difficulty, I eventually obtained an email contact and the 4 night the charge was reversed. Problem is we paid 6 nights in advance and despite repeated requests & 3 months waiting, the promised 2 night refund has never materialized. My biggest criticism of the Hilton Waikiki Beach therefore is that while the staff are superficially pleasant enough, they do not keep their promises and make communication very difficult after you have left. The hotel itself is ok, although I would recommend avoiding rooms next to the lifts as they are noisy, and miss the breakfast buffet which was truly the worst I have ever experienced (poor quality food, limited chioice and messy dining room).

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Palos Verdes Estates, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

First time at his hotel in Waikiki. Have stayed in several, including the high-priced Aston Tower Waikiki and Outrigger Waikiki. Good location, close to Queen park and the tennis courts there. The room I booked had a view east to the city/mountains, so for $20/night we upgraded to the ocean view. Well worth it! Make sure you're up high. The room was nice/clean with a desk for work. Bathroom was nice but a little strange, only fancy glass separating from the room, so at night, you turn the light on in the bathroom and it floods the room. I thought the staff was very friendly. Great, fast elevators, not like the slow ones at Outrigger. Pool area was fine, not a lot of character. Overall, I thought the price/value was good.

Room Tip: Up high with ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed here on Saturday after a 9+ hr flight from Sydney. We arrived around midday, expecting to leave our bags and wander around before being able to check in. We were so wonderfully surprised! We were offered an upgrade to ocean view (beautiful) and checked in straight away. The front desk girl was so welcoming and lovely.
The hotel is a couple of short blocks from the beach - it only takes a couple of minutes - and a few more minutes down the road, you are in restaurant heaven :)
Room was clean - loved the love seat - super comfortable! Great spot to sit and admire the view!
Highly recommend becoming a Hilton honors member - cost us nothing and gave us the ocean view for only $25! Bargain! We will be back! :)

• Stayed April 2013
Champaign
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

A great room looking over the beach that was a block away. An ABC store was across the street. A $2.00!trolley ride can be taken in front of the building. Tour buses can be arranged at the concierge. Numerous events were within a quick cab ride. Great shopping to the largest mall is a 15 minute trolley ride and other smaller mall stops and upscale stores can be found on the way back. The trolley rides start at 9:30 and run until early evening. Sites in the area are Pearl Harbor, the Bishop and Military Museums. Celebrations are available every evening within a few miles and happenings are every night in the area.

Room Tip: Restaurant open 24/7helped when we initially had a time zone challenge.,the food was wonderful and m...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Eagan, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I booked this room based on the website and my room/view was exactly like the photos. I was in Room 3414 and had a great view of the ocean. The bathroom was large and beautiful. I like lots on counter space and this room probably had the most counter space of any room I have ever stayed in. I found the Hilton member lounge area very typical of any other lounge. Two hot items and fruit/veggies at night and 2-3 hot items in the am. You have 1 long block to the ocean but have good access to shops/restaurants. If you are there on Friday night, watch the fireworks that the Hilton Hawaiian Village puts on. They were at 7:45 pm in April. Only lasted about 10 minutes. You need to get a spot that allows you to see around the hotels along the beach.

After reading other reviews, I wish I had been given the option to use an empty room to clean up/change after checking out. I asked for a late checkout and was given a 1 pm checkout. Didn't allow me to do any water sports. As a Hilton Gold, I should have been given that option. Very disappointing and caused me to lower my ranking because it would have made my last 7 hours on the island much more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ocean view - higher floor. Room 3414 was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GM-HiltonWaikiki, General Manager at Hilton Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your comments and staying with us while in Honolulu. I am excited to hear that you really enjoyed the room, bathroom and the view! As a Hilton Gold member, you absolutely should have been given the option for a hospitality room, the only reason why you may not have been given that is because it may not have been available due to occupancy levels, but I do not want to make any assumptions and would like to apologize for the lack of option. We do hope to see you in the future. Aloha and Mahalo.

Thomas Foti
Oxford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

As Gold we were upgraded from a Deluxe Mountain View room to an Ocean View room on the 32nd floor. As a family of 4 we were worried about having double beds vs queen beds, but after a day full of activities everyone crashed into the comfortable beds and fell asleep quickly. Balcony was comfortable. One morning at 5:45 am the housekeeping crew banged on our door and woke everyone up! I was furious and called downstairs to complain. It turns out the when I added 2 nights to our stay they had to check us out and check us back in causing the snafu with housekeeping. Our restaurant bill was comped as a way of apology. We were happy with that and ended up staying up and using that morning to do the hike up Diamond Head.

Bathroom has large shower stall. The closet is also in the bathroom. As others has mentioned, if you use the bathroom in the middle of the night even with the blinds closed tight the room does light up.

Executive lounge was fair. Fresh fruit, was the best! Pancakes, eggs, bacon, toast, bagels were okay. Cold cereal selection was good. Not anything special but decent light breakfast. If you are thinking of upgrading to executive floor it probably isn't worth the extra $$. Denny's is down the street if you are a family trying to save some money or the breakfast at Mac 24/7 has good options. The Mac Attack is the best value in my opinion.

We would stay here again, but may also try another hotel just because there are so many other options out there.

Room Tip: 3212 has a good view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the comments and review of your family vacation here in Waikiki. I would also like to thank you for being a loyal Hilton guest, we appreciate it very much. I am thrilled to hear that you were upgraded to an ocean view room and that you enjoyed every bit of it. I do apologize about the miscommunication with housekeeping, but I am glad that it was sorted out appropriately. We hope to see you again in the future. Aloha and Mahalo.

Thomas Foti

Been to Hilton Waikiki Beach? Share your experiences!