“Typical Hilton quality in less congested area near famed Waikiki Beach.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Waikiki Beach

$20 Hotel Credit/Night
Ranked #19 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersGold level
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Typical Hilton quality in less congested area near famed Waikiki Beach.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This hotel is the former Prince Kuhio Hotel, as it is still often called by locals.
The hotel is not directly on the beach as many other Waikiki hotels are, but is located about a block from Kuhio Beach which is east of and contiguous with famed Waikiki Beach. It is also easy to walk to the Zoo and Diamond Head area (or a short bus ride away).
Waikiki is a lively and busy area with a distinctly international flavor.
Miles of shopping and dining venues surround you and you can stroll while shopping and enjoying the views or you can take a Waikiki shuttle or trolley- style bus.
This hotel is clean and stylishly appointed. (The lobby furniture is starting to show some wear, however.)
Service is friendly and all employees that I encountered showed the "aloha" spirit.
As a Hilton Gold member I received a room upgrade to an Executive floor ( I was on 15th floor).
I would recommend the higher floors (it has over thirty floors) for better views (view of ocean obscured on lower floors by buildings closer to beach) and even on 15th floor could hear some if the traffic noise below even with lanai door closed.

The rooms are of adequate size (I had two double beds for 3 adults).
There is an awesome 42" flat screen with ability to connect laptops and other devices to play through the surround sound speakers or display using the big size screen.
The room had mini-refrigerator and room safe. Mini coffee-maker also available.

There is a nice roof-top pool as well as fitness center.
There is a well- known 24 hr restaurant on-site.

Hilton Gold and Diamond members also have hot breakfast daily as well as early evening appetizers. Food selections are satisfactory and met typical Hilton quality. There features make the stay there even more economical and convenient.

The hotel is conveniently located to bus stops, the closest of which is just outside the hotel. Honolulu traffic can be frustrating and slow, so bus service is an inexpensive way to view the island.
Bus fare is $2.50 one-way, even if you want to travel around the island.

Families might find the Hilton Hawaiian Village with more kid-friendly features, but is a solid choice for adult travelers.

Only two negatives from my stay: first of all, there was the curious location of closet being located in the bathroom area, making it inconvenient to access the closet when someone else was using the bathroom plus the dampness of the closet after people finished showering.
Secondly, when waiting for commercial transportation to the airport, we were not directed by staff to proper pickup point;
We were not told to go the pickup point in a side alley; instead we waited by Bell Desk for 1/2 hr. and learned of this error only after calling the dispatcher.

Overall, this is a conveniently located hotel with high level of service. It does not have some of the opulence, glamor, or kid-friendly features as some of the other Waikiki hotels, but is a solid value and one that I would recommend without reservation.

• Stayed December 2012

2,170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a week on business and the key standout was the friendly and helpful staff. Every single staff member I encountered was nice and they always seemed eager and ready to assist me. The room was not anything special but was clean and in good shape. Overall the facility was very well maintained. I had a mountain view, which I think is more interesting than an ocean view, with a small balcony with 2 chairs and a table. There is a fridge in the room but no microwave, which seems common in Wailiki. The valet costs $25 a night and they get your car out pretty fast. There is a bar downstairs, a restaurant, a deli type counter and a gift shop, none of which I tried. For supplies there is an ABC store right accross the street. The beach is about a 5 minute walk and there are plenty of places to eat and shop within walking distance. I did not try the pool as the wind was blowing hard and it rained every day, but it looked nice. Overall a nice place to stay, if you like Wailiki, personally I prefer the other islands over the chaos of Honolulu.

• Stayed December 2012
Mainz, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel is a typical Hilton hotel: good location, friendly staff, nice rooms.
The hotel is in the second Ocean line/street from the heart of Waikiki Beach.
40 minutes away from Honolulu airport (we paid 45 dollar for the taxi)
The old name of the hotel is "Prince Kuhio", so you need to told the taxi driver: Hilton Hotel Prince Kuhio Waikiki Beach. Because there are a lot Hilton hotels on the island.

The main reason to booked this hotel for me was, that the hotel is not to big and in the center
of Waikiki beach. You walk only 5 minutes to the ocean.

Second beach line for this hotel is perfect, the ocean street is to crowded. The hotel have ocean view rooms (see the picture). Don`t forget that Hawaii is really expensive for drinks, food, and tours:
examples: 1 hour helicopter flight 280 dollar, 1/2 day snorkeling 140 dollar...
The best tour, and a "must to do on Hawaii" was the full day island buss tour for only 80 Dollar per person (the only possible cheaper tour). On this tour you see all the famous beaches.
Starts at 8 am. to 5 pm. booked of concierge service in the Hilton hotel.

Room Tip: Book a ocean view room and you will see the surfers in the morning on Waikiki Beach
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GM-HiltonWaikiki, General Manager at Hilton Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
I just wanted to send out a Big Mahalo to you for your great review! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and our property. We look forward to seeing you again sometime soon! Aloha.

Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed here for a total of 5 nights; paid for 2, used points for 3.

With that being said, it was an incredible value. As a gold member I was upgraded to an ocean view on the corner (room 1518), and received daily breakfasts and appetizers in the executive lounge. The property was recently renovated and I think they did a really nice job with the decor. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable, and the room very clean. Yes, it would have been nice to have been on a property right on the beach, but I was happy with the proximity to the beach and the side of Waikiki it was on. The view from our room was great (wonderful sunsets) and we could see Diamond Head to the side. If this property was right on the beach, I would have given it a 5.

There was great live music nightly at the bar which is on the ground floor. It was a nice touch to hear the music as we left/returned each night.

Parking Tip: I parked at the Banyon across the street for less than half the valet parking at the Hilton. That worked out great for us.

As for the staff, the younger gentleman who initially checked us in was extremely nice and helpful. There were 2 other ladies I dealt with while there, and they were not that nice or helpful.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have a bigger balcony. :)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

While rooms are not large, I appreciated that they were very clean & had features I appreciate - specifically, in room coffee maker, large in-room safe & a refrigerator. Rooms were not old/dated & I found comfortable. The balcony was quite small - although as I was on an upper level with ocean front view - I did enjoy spending time on the balcony.

As others have noted, hotel is a long block from the beach, ABC stores nearby (& a bigger Food Pantry about 4 blocks away) & the bus is easily accessed. I thought the location was convenient for my needs.

As others have also noted, the Executive Lounge is disappointing in that it is lower level & fairly small. I did think the food choices were good & the staff welcoming & helpful. Also, was surprised that weekday hours definitely cater to business clients with breakfast hours of 6-9 am. While this worked for me, expect some tourists would prefer later hours. On weekends, hours are an hour later.

For the size of the hotel & the fact this is Hawaii -- having only one concierge is not sufficient. My simple needs were not met simply because I was too impatient to wait (one family there for at least 20 minutes with no signs of leaving anytime soon).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
GM-HiltonWaikiki, General Manager at Hilton Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I was glad to read from your review that found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. I do however regret that you had a disappointing with Executive Lounge and that you had to wait a long time with our concierge. I can assure you that your feedback is incredibly important to us and your satisfaction is our priority. I have taken your comments into consideration to improve our on-property experience. Again, I apologize if you went through any inconveniences and hope that the next time you are in the area you will consider staying at our location again. Thank you.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We are always glad when we check into a hotel and it looks like the pictures on the website, it was not overly fancy but it was modern and clean.

Our room had a nice view even though we were only on the 7th floor, the drawback of that was that it was really noisy.

The location was quite good, not right in the middle of the action but a short walk. I must admit after a week I did get a little tired of the walk back from the beach even though it wasn't long, if we went back again I'd pay a bit more to stay right on the beach.

House keeping was always consistent, done every day.

We ate at MAC 24/7 a couple of times, the service was hit and miss we had a great waiter one morning but when he went on break the person covering his break was nowhere to be seen. The meals were huge so I think that made the prices reasonable.

We drank at the lobby bar few times, you can’t say no to half price cocktails at happy hour.

Overall we were quite happy with our stay.

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

I was surprised as a Hilton that the room was very small, and the patio was very small and dirty. The Mac 24/7 restaurant had really poor service. We went for breakfast, and sat for about 15 min and still no one came to serve. For the prices they charge, this was in acceptable. We left. We had a late flight home, and asked for a Kate check out, and they refused. They told us we could pay $100 to stay an extra 2 hrs. We will be looking for a different place to stay next time.

• Stayed November 2012
GM-HiltonWaikiki, General Manager at Hilton Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand from your review that you went through some inconveniences during your stay with us. I truly apologize about this especially that you had to wait for an extended time to be served during your breakfast. I can assure you that this does not happen often; however, I sincerely regret if you went through any inconveniences. I have personally spoken to our staff to make sure that we deliver the exceptional level of service all our guests deserve. In regards to your check out, I can only tell you that our front desk department goes through a lengthy process each day to ensure that our guests receive exactly the room expected, and it sometimes we are unable to hold a room for an extended period of time; however, I can empathize with your frustration and sincerely apologize. Your feedback is incredibly important to us and I can assure you that your comments have been taken into consideration. I do hope you give us another opportunity to stay with us next time you’re in town.

Thomas Foti

Been to Hilton Waikiki Beach? Share your experiences!