“Good Budget Friendly Choice in Waikiki” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
flowerdD82
“Good Budget Friendly Choice in Waikiki”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

This hotel has some great amenities! The fitness room is free and is open 24 hours a day. The pool and jacuzzi are open until 10 every night (although the pool bar closes at 6:00, which is really odd) and they have free plug in internet in the rooms. The food at Mac 24/7 is pretty good but pretty overpriced. I found a piece of plastic in my soup and they tried to offer me free dessert instead of taking it off of the bill. The concierge was always very helpful with directions or restaurant recommendations. The 2 things that were the downfall of this hotel were 1. The picture and description of this hotel say that it is "steps from the beach". Well, it's more like 2 blocks which is fine except that is not what I thought I was paying for. 2nd, the parking at this hotel is valet only which is $25 a day and absolutely ridiculous!!! We only parked there 1 day and they had already charged $150 on my credit card assuming we would be parking there the entire stay. I ended up parking at the Waikiki Banyan across the street for $10 a day instead.
All in all the rooms are very comfy and modern. No complaints there!! I slept like a baby! The staff were all really great and helpful.
I had heard a lot of complaints from other people staying at the hotel while I was in the jacuzzi but I didn't have any of those same issues. All in all it is a good choice if you are looking to relax!

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor, That way you don't hear as much traffic and neighborhood/street noise
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

This was one of the hotel for our recent stay in waikiki:). i have to say that this is way better then the Marriot resort and spa which is just next to it and where stayed for 2 more days and paid more per night price. The rooms are very up to date and gives a very posh look. Rooms were really clean and I was highly impressed with the rest room upgrades. They have all paul brown toiletry, so if you have forgotten something like lotions/shampoos, this wont make you bald so use it. The only drawback for us was that we couldn't get the beach facing room. Make sure if you book this hotel and you want to have the view of the beach take the upper levels room like upper then 20 floors, i highly doubt even the highly floor rooms will give to complete 100% view of ocean, Any ways the waikiki beach is just 5 min walk from the hotel.There are many bus stops in front of hotel so this should very nice if you plan to take bus tours etc, no hassle to go anywhere, all the eating places etc are near by walk. Now here is the tip if you are renting a car and dont want to spend 30$ / day for the parking, just next to this hotel is waikiki banyan which just take 10$/day for car parking and unlimited in/out access, this is a steal :). If you are really high-fi and still want to do valet service enjoy and spend way more then required $. I was lucky to get this information before i went to waikiki so knew exactly where the banyan is located. (1min by walk). The main lobby is nice and staff is pretty supportive. I will surely pick this place over the Marriot if I come back again to Waikiki beach. The only thing i will give more points to Marriot is bed comfort, marriot has more plush beds . Surely recommend this hotel to friends and other folks you are reading this review.

Room Tip: If you dont care about ocean view, garden view rooms are perfect as most of the time you will be out...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
ctaylor1, Director of Sales at Hilton Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, December 28, 2011
Mahalo for your generous review of the hotel. I appreciate your positive comments. We certainly hope that when you come back to Waikiki you stay with us.

Aloha!

College Station, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

As anyone who has planned a trip to Waikiki knows all to well, hotel rates in the area are steep. As such, finding accommodations that are affordable without sacrificing quality can be a challenge, especially if you are looking for a beachfront property. However, for those willing to venture off the beachfront just a little bit you'll be rewarded with a much more reasonable mix of value and comfort. And among the hotels in this category, the Hilton Waikiki Beach is definitely worth considering.

Given that the property was not located directly on Waikiki beach, we were a bit concerned about the hotel's proximity since we didn't want to have to walk a mile to get to the beach. However, upon arrival, we were pleased to find the property was a mere block (less than 5 minute walk) off Waikiki. And given the hustle and bustle of Kalakaua Avenue, being a little off Waikiki was certainly appreciated as we didn't have to fight mobs of people to get in and out of the hotel. This concern was further mitigated by the fact that a guest room key was required to use the elevators, thereby limiting the amount of traffic around the guest rooms. This was definitely something I appreciated.

The hotel itself is exactly what you would expect from a Hilton offering. Clean, comfortable rooms wrapped in modern decor along with a host of other amenities throughout the property. We booked a City View room ($189/night) and found it ideal for our needs since an ocean view was unimportant to us. Complete with a flat panel TV, large bathroom with shower and tub, and sitting area (including a chaise lounge and writing desk), our room was the epitome of comfort. And though the room did include a balcony, it was a bit on the small side. One minor, but none the less annoying, aspect of the hotel was the placement of the ice makers on every other floor. For those unlucky enough to stay on a floor without an ice machine, you'll be forced to walk up or down a floor to access the machine.

Mac 24 -7, the hotel's restaurant, was a solid option for breakfast. While a bit pricey (breakfast was included in our room package), we found the food to be very good. While known for its Mac Daddy pancakes (which are simply enormous), it would have been nice to have had the option to order a more reasonably sized portion. Service, on the other hand, was a bit hit or miss. To be sure, this wasn't 5-star dining, but a little more attention to detail (keeping water glasses full, taking orders in a timely fashion, etc.) would have gone a long way towards making the overall experience much more enjoyable.

A few of other notable items about the hotel:

1. Parking: Valet only (no self parking) for $28/day

2. Beach/pool towels are available at the hotel swimming pool on the 10th floor. We found this amenity very handy as we used them extensively while on Waikiki beach.

3. If you book a room package with the hotel, be sure you have all the details available at check in. We booked the Dine, Drive, & Relax package (which included the room rate, parking, breakfast, and a rental car) and were told by the reception desk that breakfast was not included. Needless to say having this information in-hand solved the problem right away, but I wonder how successful we would have been had we not had this information available.

The Hilton Waikiki Beach is simply a great option for anyone looking for relative value on/near Waikiki. In my opinion, whatever this property lacks as a result of not sitting directly on the beach is more than made up for by all the rest the property has to offer. I would not hesitate to stay at this property again and, truth be told, would probably seek it out.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
ctaylor1, Director of Restaurants at Hilton Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, December 14, 2011
Glad to hear you had a nice stay while in Waikiki. You would be surprised how many comments we get about how close we are to the beach and about the noise levels of the street on Kalakaua – so you hit the nail on the head.

Mac 24/7 is a favorite with locals as well as hotel guests. We have had some turnover over the past few weeks so we are working very hard on service standards training in order to get our staff up to our guests’ expectations.

Thank you so much for your comments.

Brett Callis
Director of Restaurants
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

Spent our last 4 nights in Hawaii at this amazing hotel! the room we had was amazing! the beds, well talk about comfortable!! Loved the bathroom specially with the much needed makeup mirror! Also loved how there were two floor length mirrors this really helped us two girls with planning our outfits eachday!! The tv screen was huge!

I wasnt too thrilled with the location, it was only just up the road from the other hotel we had stayed at in waikiki, would have preferred to stay in a different area. I actually didnt like how far back this hotel was... if it was closer to the beach it'd be better. There is bus stops right outside the hotel for the bus and also for the pink shopping line trolley etc.

We ate breakfast at Mac 24/7 everyday it was nice and staff were friendly However was disappointed with the roomservice. On our last day we ordered breakfast at 4am the night before (had an early flight back home) and liked how 24 hour restaurant "meant" 24hour roomservice. So our plan was while getting ready we would have food delivered to our room to eat. at 4.10 our food still hadnt arrived (we were startign to think something weird was going on, its not like they would have an abundance of orders at 4am and be running late! So called roomservice (who seemed to have forgotten about our order!! the order was placed and noted but never made!) This was frustrating for us. Our food was brought up in abut 10mins with a very apologetic man who advised no charge for this. Which was a nice gesture of the restaurant, i wasnt expecting to have the meal for free because they had forgot about it, everyone makes mistakes and at the end of the day we still got our meal delivered, just not at the requested time, but there was still enough time to eat it. So it really wouldnt have phased me had we needed to pay for it. But we do appreciate how there was no charge. Having the rooms cleaned though for our room was often quite late in the day, we returned one day at 4pm and our room still hadnt been cleaned. Housekeeping later showed up at 5pm to clean........ 5pm!?! we just said it was ok dont worry about cleaning for today just give us fresh towels.

Staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful, there is also free wifi or a business centre where you can use computers for free. If i came back to Hawaii and wanted to spend a bit extra on accomodation then I would return here, i still would return to Mac 24/7 for breakfast as well.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

fresh & clean, beautiful white sheets, mountain views in the best location ...cant ask for more

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
ctaylor1, Director of Sales at Hilton Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, December 14, 2011
Wow! Thanks so much for your kind words. It appears like you had a very relaxing stay. You commented on the great views on the mountain side - or Mauka as we say in Hawaiian. I agree with you, the views are great and especially awesome at night with all the lights of local's homes twinkling all the way to the top.

Hope you had a safe trip home. Aloha

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

Stayed in an ocean view room with awesome views of the beach. Room was well appointed and clean. Staff were friendly welcoming.

• Stayed December 2011
ctaylor1, Front Office Manager at Hilton Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, December 14, 2011
Thank you so much - I am certainly glad that you enjoyed your stay with us in Waikiki. We are looking forward to your next trip to Hawaii and staying with us.

Mahalo!

Jocelyn Arlos
Front Office Manager
Cologne, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

The hotel is a nice hotel, minutes from the main Waikiki Kuhio beach. You can tell, it has been remodelled recently and it looks very tasteful. I was first given a room with two queen beds but when I told the receptionist that I booked a king bed I was immediately given another room, 1201 on the 12th floor. The room was stylish and came with a comfortable bed, a big flat screen TV and a nice balcony. The only small disappointment was that there was only a (big walkable) shower and no bathtub. There are cool windows in the bathroom that you need to shut if you do not want to be watched! Housekeeping leaves something to be desired. Pieces of cookies, chocolade and sand that fell to the ground on the first day were still present on the fourth day. The pool on the 10th floor is ok, but who wants to swim in the pool when Waikiki beach is so close? The complimentary beach towels are very nice.
The concierge in the main floor is a nice guy.I only regret that he is apparently working for an outside company and mainly booking tours and not a Hilton concierge that is at his desk also later in the evening. The bell boys are nice as well and arranged shuttles for me. Funny though, that the shuttle for two people to the Aloha Tower is 22 dollars, a cab ride only 15 as we found out on the way back.
Unfortunately, a large amount of high school kids from a marching band turned the hotel into a youth hostel for 3 of my days, which took away a little of the cosmopolitan feel the hotel normally has to it. But you can hardly blame the hotel for that and I am sure, the kids had fun and that was a special stay for them as well. At 7.30 on your last day you can check with the front desk, if they can allow you a late check out. Noon is the normal time but since I had a 7pm flight I asked for 2pm check out and it was ok.
I would come back eventually, but I think I would also want to check out the Sheraton Kapiolani, which is even closer to the beach and has even lower rates. But a nice hotel, definitely!

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
I hope you had a great vacation in Waikiki! You did stay with us while the city had several bands in town for the Annual Christmas Parade - they were highlighting the 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbor - I hope you had a chance to make it as it was great!

Thank you so much for all of your comments as we take every guest suggestion seriously. On you next visit please request a bath tub and we will make sure you enjoy one of our rooms with a tub instead of a spacious wak in shower.

Hope to see you soon - Aloha

Director of Sales & Marketing

Been to Hilton Waikiki Beach? Share your experiences!