“A little slice of Mexico in Hawaii” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #513 of 1,945 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: This place is amazing. TripAdvisor needs to list this. My family and I visited Serg's yesterday and the kids are hooked. We'll be making another trip for the Mexico City style tacos before our flight on Sunday. Yelp.com has them rated and the reviews are great. Please do this wonderful restaurant a great service and list them for anyone visiting the Honolulu/Waikiki area. Great food, friendly staff and very reasonable prices.... even for Honolulu. Here's the link on Yelp -) http://www.yelp.com/biz/sergs-mexican-kitchen-honolulu Thank you!!!!
Chicago, Illinois
“A little slice of Mexico in Hawaii”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This place was SO GOOD. At first I was a bit hesitant to get Mexican food in Hawaii (Really???). But I'm so glad I let my husband talk me into it. Their fish tacos are incredible, as were their nachos. Everything was fresh and made-to-order. If you drive past this place on your way to the north shore, make sure to stop in!

Visited March 2013

Key West, Florida
“Authentic Mexican food in Waimanalo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Husband and I ate here for the second time yesterday. One of those great finds in a very casual setting. We love Mexican food and couldn't find anything decent on the island. Serg's is a small place, order food at the outside windows, several tables inside with a salsa bar. My pork carnitas burrito is the best I had in years. Pork is moist and flavorful. Couldn't begin to eat all of the rice and beans it came with. Beans are very authentic, not like the light brown soupy ones found in most Mexican restaurants. Husband had the tacos el pastor, best he had since eating them in Mexico City, years ago. They are the real deal. Be sure to order the churros, They come out at the end of the meal, all warm and full of cinnamon goodness. Staff is friendly and prompt. Only a few parking places, can be a tight fit. Prices are reasonable, especially for Hawaii.

Visited March 2013
Gilbert, Arizona
“Very surprised at the taste!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Being from Arizona our party of 4 was hesitant to try this place. It had come recommended to us so we set off for a dinner treat.

I got the carnitas flauta which was delicious. Hubby had the carnitas burro which he enjoyed. Our daughter got the chicken chimi which she said was very good. Our son in law got the steak nachos which were not a hit. Too much fat on the meat was his complaint.

Don't expect a fancy restaurant--it is not. But the food was very, very good and worth the drive from Kailua to Manoa. We will definately go there again and I will get the flauta for sure.

Visited February 2013
michigan
“Real mexican, not american mexican”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This review is for the location in Waimanalo. Haven't been to manolo...

Real mexican food. If you like chain mexican restaurants, lots of melted cheese, etc., this is probably not for you. What it is is mexico city food - what you would find on the street or on a casual table in Mexico City. If you've traveled in Mexico, you learn that the food is different in every region - just like it is in the US.

This place is about the perfect execution of mexican favorites. The tacos are presented on a perfectly grilled corn tortilla of great quality. We tried the carnitas, which were some of the best ever, tender, flavorful, crispy on the edges. Pastor was awesome with an extra grilled slice of pineapple. This is the street food favorite in mexico city, and Serg nails it. Carne asada also great. Each are presented with onions and cilantro - nothing more. Don't expect lettuce and yellow cheese and tomatos - that is TACO BELL style, not real mexican.

Fish tacos are really not mexico city stuff, but since we're on an island, Serg is doing them. I thought they were delicious, with a nice filet of fish, and a delicious slaw on top. Fresh and tasty. No problems here, but the genius at this place is in the other stuff.

There is a salsa bar, and it is GREAT. The hot avocado salsa is the best I've ever had anywhere and I have eaten at HUNDREDS of Mexican restaurants all over Mexico and the US. All of the salsas were delicious.

Beans are refried black beans with a sprinkle of queso blanco, (like you would get in Mexico city...) and rice was good.

Had the chile relleno (Wednesday). Awesome. My wife had a chicken flauta which was giant and delicious.

Very simple place, order at a window, eat in a little room, bus your own table. More expensive than you would pay in LA, but very reasonable by Hawaii standards. Figure $10-12 per person to basically stuff yourself.

Finally a note on Sergio. He came out of the kitchen to say hi and we spent some time talking restaurants with him. He explained that the recipes he uses are from his mom, and that she flies in twice a year to make sure "that he isn't screwing things up." Also mentioned that he imports many of his ingredients from the mainland to get them right. Tortillas, jalapenos, etc. Very impressed with him and his philosophy. And with Mom keeping him honest, how can you beat that?

Highest recommendation.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Honolulu, Hawaii
“all about tacos”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and I had tacos at this place, twice.
She liked her pork tacos. I tried pork tacos and fish tacos. The second time I asked them not to fry my tortillas because they make them “swim in grease” 
To their credit, they warmed my tortillas and that made tacos much better 
The place is very simple indeed, but they also make their own salsas (several kinds) and those are very good indeed.

• Visited November 2012