“Be aware, you need to be in shape!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 123 Attractions in Honolulu
Type: Hiking Trails, Outdoors
Austin, Texas
4 attraction reviews
“Be aware, you need to be in shape!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The view at the top of the crater is beautiful!! Please, PLEASE be aware that this is not an easy hike. Even for people who are in good shape, the stairs are very steep. The distance seems much longer than it is, simply because each step is challenging. Be sure to bring water, sunglasses, and sunscreen, wear clothing you don't mind getting sweaty in, and for goodness sakes wear tennis shoes!

Being said, there are amazing 360 degree views at the top, and there is quite a sense of accomplishment once you get there! I went around 7:30 in the morning, and I'm so glad I did, as the temperature got much warmer as I was finishing the hike.

Visited August 2013

Grand Prairie, Texas
33 attraction reviews
“Not for the faint hearted - worth it though”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This is not a trail for anyone wanting a stroll up some easy mountain trail. This is pretty much a straight trail up the side of a mountain. Around 1,500 "steps" composed of railroad ties makes this not a beautiful walk. It is gorgeous when you reach the top with 360 degree views.
Many people gave up before reaching the top because of difficulty. This is a tough climb with not many places to rest.
Only take this trail on if you want a challenge. Many other choices, like Diamond Head, if you are looking for an easy scenic trail.
A raise of 1,000 ft in a little over 1,100 meters made for a cardio session more than a hike. I found myself breathing heavy and sweating a lot.
If you are up to a challenge - bring good shoes, water, and a willingness to dig in.
We enjoyed this trail because we like what others will not do.

Adelaide, Australia
“Not impossible”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Great view when you reach the summit. Only 1.1ks but straight up. Go early before it gets too hot. Reasonable level of fitness required.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 attraction reviews
“A difficult but satisfying hike!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I can't say I knew quite what I was getting into when I tagged along with my brother and teenage niece to Koko Head. What a climb! I wouldn't even really call it a hike, since you're pretty much going straight up. This is not for those who are afraid of heights, and this is not for those who are out of shape, either. I consider myself to be fairly in shape and I found myself having to stop numerous times to catch my breath and assess the situation! The "bridge" was definitely the trickiest part, and I pretty much got on my hands and feet to climb across that section for fear of slipping between the train tracks. I felt a huge sense of accomplishment after completing the climb, and the views from the top are second to none! My main complaint, other than the sheer difficulty of the climb, is that it's pretty crowded, and since you're climbing train tracks, also pretty narrow. I had to step to the side frequently to allow more seasoned climbers to pass. Good luck!

New Jersey
“An Awesome Experience ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Definitely not for the faint of heart. If you are in shape and determined, go for it, but do it early, before 9, so that you can find parking and it isn't that hot. I saw families with children of all ages and even an a pregnant lady who completed the climb. I also saw athletes who ran up and down the trail, even twice. When you get to the top, take your time to appreciate the beauty, take a picture, have a snack, and some water. As per the bridge over the ravine, take the "chicken out" side path, it's easy. It's a once in a lifetime experience for some of us, so lace up your sneakers and enjoy!!