“Hardcore!))))” 5 of 5 stars

Oakland, California
18 attraction reviews
“Hardcore!))))”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

Ok, so I'm in a good shape. well, excellent really.
I play fairly competitive soccer regularly (not kick-about, competitive armature league) and played all my life. I swim (and used to do so competitively as a kid/teenager).
People always complain that I run instead of walking. I blast up stairs/escalators many times during the day, every day. No extra weight, never had any. And blah blah blah.
I was even barely hungover that day...
I did read that it's gonna be hard, but I thought "well, maybe, but not for me".

Boy, did I overestimate the shape I'm in and did I ever underestimate that stairwell (actually seems to be an abandoned railway to the top).
It was really, really grueling. I had to take 4 or 5 breaks, just to seat on the steps for 2 minutes every time and take a break.
Plus I hate hot blasting sun and there's absolutely no shade on the way up. probably better to go at dusk.
By the end I felt like laying down in the bushes and taking a long nap))). But then again, no shade.

Glad I got a cap on and some Propel water.
Do bring water or Gatorade or Propel or some such. Yeah, hat is a good idea too. Some climacool or similar 'breathing' shirt would be a good idea.

As hard as the way up was, I disagree about way down - I pretty much ran down in just a few minutes (way up took over 20) - just watch your steps. Also my legs didn't hurt the next day, in fact after sitting in a car for a couple minutes I was fine.

Tons of parking near baseball fields at the end of Koko Head Park Road.

The views on top are pretty cool, and just knowing that you've made it makes you feel better.
Will definitely recommend it to anyone in good shape and not recommend it as a way to get in shape.

Richmond, Virginia
10 attraction reviews
“Stairway to Hell!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

You want to talk about challenging... This is about as good as it gets! I'm not trying to brag, but I consider myself to be in extremely good shape. I workout daily and hike on a regular basis, but this thing was a whole new experience to me. It literally feels straight up at times and it gets progressively harder the farther you get up the mountain. Even though its extremely difficult, I will say that its a very amazing experience along the way and at the top. The bridge is a little scary, but definitely manageable, and the views from the top are better than anywhere else on the island, IMO. Take plenty of water and sunscreen, wear good shoes (you'll see why on the way down), and don't be afraid to take breaks and enjoy the views on the way up.

Visited September 2011
Portland, Oregon
16 attraction reviews
“Great view on top...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

I hiked the crater with my husband on a very hot day. I thought it will be an easy hike but I was wrong. I should have done it early in the morning instead of 12 noon at 89 degrees. What am I thinking!! Love the view on top! Take lots of water with you. Hard to find the entrance, make sure you have the right directions from your hotel concierge, GPS is okey but not giving you exactly the right way. :)

Have fun!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
34 attraction reviews
“Better hike than Diamond Head.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

The TH can be a little tough to find and we worked our way through a residential area and parked near some ball fields. Many trails convergered on the backside of the ball parks and the trail becomes very straight forward. This is a workout and not a casual hike, you should be prepared for that. Have stamina, good shoes and plenty of water because it can get hot. You could pound this out in under an hour or it could take 2 - 3 round trip. The views are great and the old bunkers are kinda neat. Repeat, this is heavy verticle, continuous steep hiking. We loved it! This is a much harder hike than diamond head.

Visited December 2010
Ludiak
3 attraction reviews
“It will kick your butt but worth it! Don't bring kids.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

This hike was nothing short of amazing. It makes Diamond Head look laughable. Imagine a train track going 1045 steps straight up the side of a mountain...almost as steep in some sections as a ladder. Railroad ties (some rotting and splitting) and track, rocks and dirt... and you. Bring good shoes, comfortable clothes, your sunscreen and water. The distance between the wooden ties can be several feet apart so keep your eyes peeled. At one point in the hike there's a section of the trail/train track that is suspended over 10-20 feet of rocks. There are no hand rails so take your time crossing this section, especially on the way down because your legs will be spent!. Also, don't bring your little ones (11+) ... not only is it difficult but there are members of the armed forces that use this hike for exercise and they are serious about moving quickly up and down the hill. Little kids would just be in the way.

If you can do it, DO IT. It's an a amazing sense of accomplishment both at the top and then again at the bottom. One of the highlights of my entire vacation.

Use the bathroom before you go. There are no bathroom facilities at the hike.