“Great experience learning to surf!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hook up Surfing

Hook up Surfing
Waikiki, Honolulu, Oahu, HI (Waikiki)
(808) 371-9504
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 281 activities in Honolulu
Type: Water sports
Attraction Details
Deer Park, Texas, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Great experience learning to surf!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The only activity my 14 year old son begged to do during our trip to Hawaii, was to learn to surf. We found Ivan at Hook Up Surfing, through a surf shop across the street from our hotel.
This experience was worth every penny!
Ivan picked my son up promptly, and headed over to the surfing location for a private lesson. After spending time on the ground, learning the basics about surfing, Ivan and my son took to the water. In less than 3 minutes in the water (NO JOKE) my son was surfing!!
Ivan was very knowledgeable, positive, energetic, friendly, and an overall awesome instructor!
We HIGHLY recommend Hook Up Surfing--- don't waste your time with the people who sit on the beach and advertise, or the companies that are found inside the hotels/on hotel properties-- they are too expensive, for a much lower quality lesson.

Staten Island, New York, United States
4 attraction reviews
“First timers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was my families first time to Hawii, spoke with Ivan prior to arrival . He was so reassuring I even tried it. It was awesome my son's and I had the time of our lives. He was great .His staff was amazing, the photos were great. We all were able to surf under his guidance! Definitely call Ivan for Hook up surfing!

Visited July 2013
Houston, Texas, United States
“Great Surfing Lesson”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Ivan was a true professional. My son and i actually took lessons at the Hilton Grand Village where we were staying a few days before. Our friends kids wanted to go surfing so we found Ivan and he gave us a private lesson which was 100 times better than the one at the Hilton. I would greatly recommend him and Jeni (took our pictures and video). It was the same cost as it would have been at the Hilton with 15 people. Really had a great time.

Boca Raton, Florida
“Surf coaching - This is the real HOOK UP - Aloha!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I had two surf coaching sessions with both Ivan and Jenn and they are true pros. My sessions with both privates and they really care about picking the right surf spot that is not too crowded. They definitely pushed me and challenged me which is what I asked for...everything about their sessions is custom and tailored to you! Ivan is an awesome instructor and noticed little details for improvement and constantly reinforced techniques. He emphasized the elegance of surfing to work with the wave. Jenn shot photos and videos and was an amazing instructor as well. They even did a custom mixed surf and standup surf session were they switched up in the middle as Jenn is a pro SUP surfer as well. I'll leave Oahu with a LOT better technique to my surfing and SUP surfing technique. If you want a REAL surf experience that is more than just standing up on a board - check out Hook Up Surfing...they are the real "Hook Up"!!!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“worth five times the money...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We reserved a surf lesson for our daughter with Ivan because of all the great reviews, and that was a great move on our part. W can't say enough good things about Ivan. He gave lots of individualized attention and was very safety conscious. Several of the other students who had made reservations that day cancelled on him at the last minute for no obvious reason, but, being a professional, Ivan didn't cancel our daughter's lesson. He ended up basically giving her a private lesson and he didn't complain about it at all. What a great guy.

Visited May 2013