“Top notch!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Water sports, Adventure
3 attraction reviews
“Top notch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012 via mobile

Some folks come to hawaii and they want to learn how to surf. So they go to the beach, rent a foam board, stand up, get some pictures taken and that's it. And that's fine for some people, but definitely not for me. I have some surf experience but its been really hard for me to progress due to the lack of quality wave at my home break. We started in the grass where he analyzed my pop-up and then guided me on what to do through my turns. Then we went out to an uncrowned spot where I could work on turns and rollercoastering without worrying about hitting someone. I learned so much and after practicing the skills he taught me in 2 hours, I'm way more comfortable taking larger waves, taking off in white water, and I'm nailing my turns now too!

Albuquerque
“Hook Up Surfing No Ka Oi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

Ivan is like the cool brother I never had teaching me and my friends to surf. He picked us up, had an informative lesson in a beautiful park, went to a gorgeous surf spot ( that we had all to ourselves) and everyone got to ride the waves...Yes! We'll be back to Honolulu and looking forward to lesson #2 with Ivan at Hook Up surfing. Oh yea, thanks for the tow in, Holly

Visited February 2012
Mpls
“Ivan is a fabulous instructor!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

Ivan picked us up from our hotel. He did a short lesson on the grass. Then headed to the water. The lesson was just our group of 4, not a huge group. Everyone was able to "ride the waves" quite a few times. It was a great experience and Ivan made it a blast!

Visited April 2012
“Ivan is an awesome instructor!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012 via mobile

Ivan does a land lesson first and teaches exactly what you need to get started as a beginner. He emphasizes on safety first which makes the students feel comfortable and confident. He takes us to a beautiful area where it is perfect for a beginner to learn(we were the only ones there). Finally, he gets everyone in the group up and riding those waves!! I definitely recommend hook up surfing!

New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Perfect surfing experience - don't miss this!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Ivan is an excellent instructor and provided us a perfect surf experience. He picked us up at our hotel and took us to a beautiful spot that was not crowded and had the right waves for beginners and a great view of diamond head. Ivan gave clear instruction and the three of us in this class were all able to ride waves from the start. Ivan is a pro and provided a safe and successful beginners lesson and also made the lesson fun and kept us smiling and laughing. My only regret is that we didn't do this on our first day in Waikiki so that we could have time to schedule a follow up lesson or two with Ivan.

Visited March 2012