“Ivan is AWESOME!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hook up Surfing

Hook up Surfing
Waikiki, Honolulu, Oahu, HI (Waikiki)
(808) 371-9504
Attraction Details
Salem, Oregon, United States
“Ivan is AWESOME!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

We had a family trip to Waikiki. I have 4 daughters ages 13-22. Ivan at Hook-Up-Surfing is a fantastic Surf instructor. He provides the surf boards and spends much more time with you than the others. My girls all learned to surf and we loved Ivan. He is very personable and trustworthy. I would trust my girls alone with him. When we return we will "hook-up" with Ivan for sure. I guarantee you will love it.

Visited July 2011

Geelong, Australia
5 attraction reviews
“Excellent Acitivity (Very Professional)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

We recently took a short break in Oahu and at top of our 9 year old son's list of things to do was to take surfing lessons whilst in Hawaii. Well...we could not have chosen a better, more professional operator than Ivan Duque at Hook Up Surfing. We booked our son's private lessons in advance prior to leaving Australia, based on reviews read on Trip Advisor, and were certainly not disappointed. Our son had tried a little surfing before, but had not had alot of success standing/catching a wave. By the end of his second lesson with Ivan he was very excited to tell us he had surfed a wave "twice the height" of himself. All aspects of the lessons were carried out in a professional and fun manner, with safety being of utmost importance. What can I say - if you want to try your hand at surfing whilst in Oahu, you can't go past Ivan.

Visited January 2012
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Hands down one of the best experiences of our trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Our original intent was to learn surfing on our own, we went to Quality Surfboards and we ended up booking a lesson with Ivan.
Ivan and Juliette took us to the north side. We ended up making some stops on the way looking at the sea turtles, watching the beaches and just exploring the land. All of us really enjoyed this and it made the trip so much more interesting. After the surfing we went out for some food and beer on the north shore.

The surf lesson was really amazing, Ivan really made a big effort teaching us and I have a real hard time seeing on how anyone can teach this in a better way. We all managed to surf the waves and got good insight on how things around just the technical part of surfing.

I would recommend anyone going to Hawaii to take lessons from Ivan. You will not find a better experience than hanging out with Ivan and Juliette and learning surfing.

Bellaire, Texas
“Best Surf Lesson and Stand Up Paddle lesson on Oahu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

My friends and I had an awesome time learning to surf and to stand up paddle with the instructors. They were very accommodating and hands on. We have visited Oahu a number of times and have taken surfing lessons, but we have never had the same level of knowledge and professionalism that was shown by the Hook Up Surfing instructors. I would recommend them to anyone.

New York City, New York
“Truly the best surf coaching ever!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

When I first fell in love with surfing five years ago, I was looking for an instructor, who can teach me constructively. That is when I found Ivan through my colleague. Since then, I have been surfing with Ivan all over the south and north shore breaks. Unlike the generic tourist surf schools, instead I got to learn to surf step by step. Ivan coached me not only to ride the waves, but also to make the right decisions in many different surfing conditions over the years. With his coaching, I can now surf the waves that I only dreamed of surfing. This morning I surfed the Sunset on North shore !!! I can say, with strong confidence, that he is TRULY the BEST surf coach!!!