“Very informative and comfortable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oahu Nature Tours

Oahu Nature Tours
1649 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96826 (Ala Moana - Kakaako)
(808) 924-2473
and up
Ranked #30 of 212 Outdoor Activities in Honolulu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Very informative and comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We took the #3 tour to Waimea Waterfall and 'Circle Island' on 2 July 2014. Our tour guide 'Rana' arrived within the specified time window (a small miracle given Honolulu traffic!). She looked after us all day, including a very informative escorted walk up to Waimea Waterfall, during which we learned heaps about Hawaiian plants and birds, traditional Hawaiian beliefs, history and current issues.
Rana was flexible with timings at the various stops, catering to the group's interests and staying with us virtually the whole time. She provided interesting commentary as we travelled between stops, pointing out places of interest and putting them in context.
I had been around the Island several times over the years, but always in a small sedan car. The Oahu Nature Tours bus was very comfortable and the large windows afforded much better views than from a normal car. It was great being in a small group tour (11 guests on our tour).
It was a nice touch to have bottled water supplied throughout the (very hot!) day, and lunch included. We arrived back at the drop-off point precisely on time - another miracle after a 7-hour tour!
This tour was excellent value.

Visited July 2014
ManagementONT, Owner at Oahu Nature Tours, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear Hellen E,

A big MAHALO! for you for providing us with an excellent review. We truly appreciate everything you mentioned including your kind words for Rana. When I was a natureguide I enjoyed my tips but being told I provided an excellent tour,sometimes the "best tour I have ever taken" meant even more to me then the tips. Every Trip Advisor reviewer who says kind words about their guide in this public forum really makes that guide feel great about the excellent tours they provide and that all the studying and hard work they put into it makes a big difference.

ALOHA,

Oahu Nature Tours

“Great hike and information”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

The tour included a hike in the Manoa Valley. Greg, our tour leader, related facts and interesting information the entire trip and made the hike very enjoyable. I would go on another tour from Oahu Nature Tours the next time I get a chance.

Aloha Matthew K,

THANKS! for your very kind words about our tour and for your mentioning Greg. Greg is one of our veteran guides who is a wealth of information. Please visit Hawaii again and we look forward to having you join us for another excellent adventure.

Mahalo,

Alexandria
80 attraction reviews
“Completely underwhelming”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We went on the nature tour yesterday afternoon and our tour guide was Rich. He was very knowledgeable, and overall I was very pleased with him The underwhelming part was the actual locations that were featured on this tour. I will list all of the stops:
1. Hanumana Bay-had about twenty minutes, this was my favorite stop. While the views were stunning, if you want to walk to the bottom there is an additional fee. In the amount of time that we were there, it wAs not possible to go down.
2. Halona Cove-pretty, but again if you want to walk to the cove not enough time.
3. Makapu'u Lookout-pretty, but with twenty minutes to look at the ocean, I was left wondering why so much time? I would have rathered taken the time at this spot and put it onto the first or second stop.
4. Kaupo lava flow- rich pointed out one plant to us. One plant? That was all, then we had another twenty minutes. Do you see a pattern?
5. Waimanalo- beautiful beach, I would have loved to have spent an hour here simply swimming and experiencing it, but again twenty minutes here. Some of the other people on the tour were so hot, that they did not leave the van. At this point it was very hot, and it only got worse.
6. Enchanted lake sanctuary- complete waste of time. Again another twenty minutes, it was located in a subdivision, how this was put on the tour as a stop I have no idea. I find it hard to believe that this was the best area to experience bird watching. I was not the only person to think this, the rest of the group felt the same way.
7. Hawaiian temple- rich parked on the side of the road of a busy street, we then walked down a path and took a right. There we saw a big pile of black rocks. As Rich began telling us about the human sacrifices that were done there, another man interrupted and told everyone hat we were being told incorrect information. The man then took over the tour and talked for thirty minutes. I know because I started to time him. I thought that the man was rude, and I also was annoyed that more time was wasted. Again, I find it hard to believe that this was the best area to stop to experience a temple.
8. Pali lookout- very nice views
I would not take this tour, it was not what I wanted nor was it very interesting to me.i was excited before I went, and disappointed when I left. On a positive note, I was very happy that here were no stops at tourist traps, such as gift shops or the nut house. I would only recommend going to see stop one and two.

Visited June 2014
ManagementONT, Owner at Oahu Nature Tours, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Anne,

We have attempted to contact you several times in order to discuss with you all of the items you have described in your review but you have not responded. This is inappropriate because we would like to have the opportunity to give you our side of the issues. I will address them in the following response but your unwillingness to talk with us and the unrealistic nature of your review and undeserved rating suggests you did not read our tour description and understand we only had 5 hours to cover 60 miles and 8 beautiful stops along the way.

We are very concerned about providing our guests with the best tours we can and by doing so have earned a excellent award from Trip Advisor for 3 years in a row. We never advertised or promised you that you could go to the beach at Hanauma Bay nor did we promise or advertise you would have time to swim or go to the beach at Halona or Waimanalo. The Makapuu Lookout is one of the most spectacular views in Hawaii and many people enjoy our 20 minute stop. Rich pointed out only one plant species but discussed many more.

You mention at Waimanalo Beach;

“I would have loved to have spent an hour here simply swimming and experiencing it, but again twenty minutes here”

As very experienced tour operators we have designed a tour to show our guests 8 of Oahu’s most beautiful locations in a tour from 1PM-6PM . A great tour to do after lunch and before dinner.Your statement of spending 1 hour swimming at Waimanalo, more time walking to Halona Cove and walking to the beach at Hanauma Bay for perhaps snorkeling is both unrealistic and contrary to what we offer on this tour and what you paid for. If you had read our description you would have been satisfied to get what we offer and advertise instead of being dissatisfied and then giving us a very undeserved rating.

Re your very negative comments re Enchanted Lake Bird Sanctuary also known as Kaelepulu Pond:

“Enchanted lake sanctuary- complete waste of time. Again another twenty minutes, it was located in a subdivision, how this was put on the tour as a stop I have no idea. I find it hard to believe that this was the best area to experience bird watching. I was not the only person to think this, the rest of the group felt the same way”

Please take a few minutes and read about this important wetland at this link:

I have conducted bird watching tours on Oahu for 17 years and Enchanted Lake Bird Sanctuary is the most accessible place on Oahu to see the endangered Hawaii stilt, moorhen and coot. There is no better place. The following link from the Hawaiian Audubon Website mentions :

“For endemic waterbirds, Enchanted Lake in Kailua, at the end of Kiuke`e Place off of Ke`olu Drive, is one place to look.”

Regarding your undeserved comments about Ulupo Heiau State Park; a registered National Historic Site:

“There we saw a big pile of black rocks....Again, I find it hard to believe that this was the best area to stop to experience a temple.”

Please look at the great information contained in this website:

I have lived on Oahu for 20 years and have visited every major archaeological site on the island. Ulupo Heiau is the second largest Hawaiian temple on the island and is an exceptional place to see how the Hawaiian community is restoring their sacred locations. We also have no control over the weather or people trying to talk to our guests at the temple.

If you wanted to swim at these locations, spend longer at the beaches etc it would have been best for you to rent your own car. This tour introduces our guests to the high points of Southeast Oahu and if they find a place or places they really love they can always go back on their own.
We have 8 places to show our guests and 50 miles of road to cover with traffic.

We delivered what we promised and every other reviewer on Trip Advisor that has gone on this tour has been very satisfied with the tour timing and have given it a very good or excellent rating!

“Natural highlights tour”
5 of 5 starsReviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile
I wanted to get out of Waikiki so I took the afternoon scenic tour. George was a great guide -- knowledgeable and friendly without being overly chatty. The places he took us on this tour were all breathtakingly beautiful, and I felt we had a good amount of time (15 minutes or so) at each place; he kept us moving without rushing us. I appreciated his love of his hometown.

So in closing I know our tour is both very well designed and well delivered. Please for future tours you go on, fully read the description,know what and how many stops are included and be realistic in your expectations given the stated tour times.You might want to also do some research about the places you visited before offering your undeserved opinions of them which not only detract from our companies excellent reputation but also might influence readers to not take one of Oahu’s best tours.

Aloha,

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 attraction reviews
“Fun and Informative”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

My wife and I did the nature walk tour to see waterfall in tropical rain forrest which was only 20 minutes for Waikiki. Our tour guide Greg was fantastic, you could tell he loved nature and it was not just a job for him. He paced the climb very well and stopped along the way pointing out interesting things about trees/plants, wildlife and fruits in the area. Greg also kept checking on everyone to make sure they were doing ok physically. He was more than happy to take pictures for you during the hike which was very nice.The trail is pretty well marked for about 3/4 of the way up but the last 1/4 can be slippery and you need to be careful. I would advise everyone to take the walking stick offered at beginning of the tour, it comes in handy. Reaching the top and seeing the waterfall was really cool. I will note it does get crowded up there, guess it is due to the time of year. I would recommend this tour for something fun and different to do in Oahu.

Aloha Bob,

Big Mahalo for your very kind review and for mentioning our veteran guide Greg.. We hope to see you back in Hawaii soon.

Australia
“Manoa Falls - Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

My partner and I booked this tour for Tuesday 17th June 2014 100% happy with the tour, tour guide (Charlie) and tour company (Oahu Nature Tours).
As soon as we departed, Charlie turned our tour bus into a mobile classroom, with a combination of history, geography and biology lessons... I found him to be incredibly knowledgable and informative.
Backpacks were available for our use if needed, along with wooden poles for stability along the track.
The scenery was amazing, early into the trek it started to rain, not too heavy but certain areas along the hike were a little treacherous and required careful manoeuvring.
We were informed that this particular area had been used in the filming of parts of Jurassic Park and The Hunger Games, Charlie also volunteered to take photos of each of our tour party at various locations along the way.
The waterfall itself was definitely worth the hike, the volume of water is dependant on how much rain there had been.
All in all we were so glad we chose this tour and would not hesitate in choosing and recommending Oahu Nature Tours.
Thank you ONT and Charlie for a wonderful experience.

Aloha Kezd5,

Thank you for joining us on our Manoa Falls aka Jurrasic Waterfall Adventure. Your kind description is right on. Charlie and all of our great guides really appreciate these kind words and your thoughtful comments.

Thanks,