“It was like falling inlove for the first time” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Suite Deal w/ $200 Credit
Ranked #5 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Vancouver, Canada
“It was like falling inlove for the first time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Except with a hotel. And just everything about Hawaii.

Maybe it was because it was my first time in Hawaii so I was a bit starry eyed with everything, but being the complete travel enthusiast I am and my countless experiences with many different hotel/resorts, The Modern Honoluly EASILY makes my top 3.

When we first arrived, we were greeted with the very helpful staff who were offered to help us with our bags. The check in process was very smooth. Prior to the trip, after we made our reservations, they send you a follow up email asking you what they could do to make your trip to Hawaii more enjoyable offering services such as a shuttle from the airport, from flowers in the room upon arrival, and much more. We reserved the partial ocean view suite and requested a room on a higher floor. When we arrived they ended up accommodating us on the very top floor (the 17th floor) which was AWESOME. Thank you guys so much for that by the way if your staff is reading this. We loved the views from the top floor.

My boyfriend and I traveled to Hawaii for my birthday and when we arrived in our room, they left us THEE most delicious decadent chocolate cupcake and a welcoming card that said happy birthday. So thoughtful! The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were very "modern" hence the name. The bathroom however isn't super sound proof because it is a sliding door and the wooden windows could open but it wasn't too much of an issue.

Grabbed breakfast at the Sunrise pool area bright and early at 7am and the food was great as well. Staff again was super nice. The whole feel of the hotel makes you feel like you're in a mix between Hawaii and a luxury Palm Springs resort. Out of all the hotels/resorts in Hawaii, the modern is definitely one of kind for their spectacular pool areas; cabanas, couches, comfortable tanning chairs and dining areas. There are two pools, the "sunrise" and "sunset". The sunset pool is the one that is 21+ I believe and both are great. This hotel in my opinion is catered more towards honeymooners, newly weds, young adults, and friends on vacation. Families of course are welcome to this hotel as well, but don't expect to see a lot of children at this place.

The hotel is situated along Waikiki, right beside Ilikai hotel along Ala Moana. It's a simple 5 minute walk to Waikiki Beach so it's very convenient. There's an ABC store seconds away and a McDonalds if you're feeling for some fast food.

One thing I really liked about this hotel was that they have concierges in "The Study" which you could talk to, and they help you plan your Hawaii trip by making reservations for you at various places to go (for example) snorkeling or make dinner reservations somewhere, or advice of where to find a rental car, they all do it for you. I found that to be really helpful.

I find this to be getting quite a bit long but all in all I highly recommend this hotel, 5/5 stars! It is a bit expensive but you get bang for your buck. My boyfriend and I LOVED our stay here and next time we're in Honolulu we will definitely be back :)

Room Tip: - Definitely try and go for an ocean view room or partial ocean view room. - Go to Hanauma Bay and...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
TMHmgr, Rory C, Guest Experience Manager at The Modern Honolulu, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Aloha Elle S,

I LOVE the title of your review! At THE MODERN HONOLULU, it is our passion to ensure that guests will find our rooms to be comfortable, our pools to be lavishly sexy and an uncomparable dining experience that will leave you mesmerized. We’d also like to wish your boyfriend a very happy belated birthday! Thank you for highlighting the service excellence of our entire staff who took great care of you from check in thru to check out. We can’t wait for you to visit us again soon!

1,398 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kiriat Ono
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

First of all, it’s 2.5 stars hotel (in my opinion), located on the terribly noisy main road, terribly overpriced, terribly old design. Spotty carpets, beds with dangerous corners, etc. This hotel is not really close to ocean but to a rather dirty marina for yachts’. The “partial ocean view” means you can see nothing from the room; marina and noisy road from the balcony. It seems me that many previous reviews were invited (I agree with a reviewer from July 21, 2013). So, why my final rating is 2 but not 1? Only because people (staff) at this place were very nice.

Room Tip: As high as possible. Avoid “partial ocean view”.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reno, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

From the moment my, then, fiancé and I booked our reservation at The Modern, I knew this was going to be an amazing honeymoon. We decided after being on Maui for 8 days that we'd need a bit more city life before we headed back home, and The Modern was the perfect place to end our trip.

Before we arrived to the hotel, we contacted the concierge desk and were put in contact with WONDERFULLY helpful guest service employees named Yuka and Mark. Not only were they able to book us on a helicopter tour, paddle board lessons, an ATV tour of the Kualo Valley, and a trip to Pearl Harbor, they also set up reservations for us at Morimoto (more on that later) and Alan Wong. On top of being extremely helpful with setting up activities and dining experiences on Oahu, they also took the time to reach out to their contacts in Maui in order to get us onto a sold out dinner cruise on the 4th of July. These two really know what it means to go above and beyond in order to make sure the guests of The Modern have a memorable vacation!!

Once we actually made it to Honolulu and arrived at The Modern to begin our stay, our initial expectations were blown out of the water! We entered the lobby and were immediately greeted with refreshing drinks and beautiful leis (first ones we had received during our honeymoon). The check-in process was a breeze and we were able to quickly get up to our room. Once in our room (a suite on the 10th floor facing the marina), we were taken back by how "modern" the room was! Clean lines, muted tones, and pops of color...basically imagine if the The W got a beach makeover. It was sleek and sexy and just the type of hotel we love to stay in. The furnishings in the room (king bed and sitting chair with ottoman) were also very comfortable and went well with the overall design. The bathroom was extremely clean and offered great lighting. The only thing better than the room, was the view. We were able to watch surfers catching waves, sail boats coming and going, and witness some stunning sunsets.

Once settled into our room we got down to business with checking out the many amenities that the hotel offered. Both the Sunset and Sunrise pools are staffed with very helpful attendants and waiters who make your sunning experience as relaxing as possible. They offer a great menu of food and drinks, along with complimentary infused water (which is delicious). My daily drink of choice was the Elderflower 75, which I highly recommend. I was also able to experience the spa and treated myself to a much needed pedicure (I've been home a month and my nails still look great!). The spa had a very light and open feel to it, and was a perfect place to relax if only for 90 minutes.

While we were only staying at The Modern for 4 nights, we managed to eat at Morimoto's twice. Both dinners were experiences we will never forget, though the most memorable was being able to sit at the sushi bar and be treated to the freshest fish creations from Morimoto's master sushi chef, Goto San. We didn't speak the same language, but hopefully Goto San understood by our big smiles and many "thumbs up", that we enjoyed and appreciated the work that he put in to what he served us that night. If you like sushi, I highly recommend asking to be sat in front of Goto San as it is an experience not offered many places.

After dinner, we found our way to The Study and ended the night with some cocktails. Even with the bar being very busy, the waitress still took the time to help me decided on a drink that I would enjoy…turns out, the Champagne Haze is just what the doctor ordered. We didn't close the bar down, but it was definitely worth staying up late to enjoy.

Overall, our experience at The Modern was better than we could have ever imagined. With a gracious staff, impeccable design, and Morimoto's on-site, there isn't another hotel in Oahu that can offer what The Modern does. I can't wait to book our next trip!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha JillC0629,

Congratulations! Thank you so much for allowing THE MODERN HONOLULU to take part in celebrating such an immensely huge event in your lives. I truly hope we were able to convey the essence of aloha thru our services we provide for discerning travelers, much like you! Mahalo for providing us with such a detailed review! I’m pleased you had a great stay! Please come back again soon!

Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed at the modem for 10 days and it was awesome. There was so much to do. I was able to walk to 3 different surf spots from the hotel. People were also snorkeling, fishing, and hanging out by the beach right out in front of the hotel. The service was extroridinary the whole time. All of the employees were extremely nice and helpful. Also, I found the beds and pillows much more comfortable than your average hotel. If I ever go back to Oahu, the modern is where I will stay for sure.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed here for 4 days last week with 2 girlfriends and haven't stopped talking about it since. We had a fantastic Two Bedroom Suite with beautiful views over the harbor and ocean, which we LOVED waking up to every morning.
The location was perfect with Ala Moana mall just a short walk away. The staff were really helpful and friendly, and the pool areas (both sunrise and sunset pools) were really well kept and there was always lounger space for us.
We will definitely be coming back. It's the only hotel to consider in Waikiki! Thank you Modern Honolulu!

Room Tip: It's Hawaii - pay the additional $ and get a room with Ocean views
Aloha hoteluvver,

We’re thrilled you had a great stay with us! Thank you so much for your generously kind words in sharing your experience with us! I’m so happy you enjoyed your stay and found our location to be awesome, the views from your suite, breathtaking and that we were always able to provide you with pool chairs beside our sexy pools. Thank you for your great review! We look forward to welcoming you back to our MODERN paradise!

Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We have stayed at hotels that are on the water, in ocean view rooms, with no views. There is nothing I hate more than getting an ocean view room without an ocean view. The Modern Honolulu ocean view rooms have great ocean views. On top of that the food is excellent! We recommend the steak sandwich.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the rooms that are ocean view, to the west of the elevator.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The staff is wonderful and the food at both restaurants. The hotel is clean and quiet. A great place to stay if you are not looking to be around a lot of noise. I laid out at the pool everyday. It was surprising close to where I needed to go. Will come back to stay again!

Aloha dreamrena,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I too love the location of our hotel as it sits conveniently near the Ala Moana Shopping Center and the Hawaii Convention Center. Our hotel’s location is the perfect place for the discerning shopper and business traveler. Since you spent most of your time unwinding at the pool, I would recommend ordering a cool refreshing glass of our signature cocktail, the coconut lime mojito. It’s a blended drink that has hints of lime infused with creamy coconut and a refreshing lime finish. It’s THE quintessential cocktail to enjoy while sitting at the pool. Mahalo again for your kind words in highlighting the cleanliness of our hotel, the awesome food and our sleek common spaces! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

THE MODERN HONOLULU

Been to The Modern Honolulu? Share your experiences!