“great boutique hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Honolulu, Hawaii
“great boutique hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Really solid boutique hotel located between the heart of Waikiki and the Ala Moana mall. Making this my home for 1-2 months until I decide which ridiculously over priced and dilapidated home I'm going to over pay for here in Honolulu. The hotel does have a nice distinctive modern minimalist feel which is very tastefully done. The service is outstanding. I never have to wait long for the valet and everyone at the front desk if pleasant. It's not located directly on the beach, but it's a short walk away. A big bonus in my book is that there are very few children here and they have an adult only pool. BUT during one of my days at the regular pool I did notice a lady dipping her baby with a freaking diaper into the pool. Was really disgusting, I had to go back to my room to recover. I'm surprised none of the staff stopped her. This place probably deserves 5 stars, but the size of my room is a bit small(about 400sq ft), and I just can't get the picture of the diaper in the pool out of my mind.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
TMHmgr, Rory C, Guest Experience Manager at The Modern Honolulu, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Aloha s3jwang,

Thank you very much for making THE MODERN HONOLULU your home, while looking for permanent residency in Honolulu. We’re thrilled that you’re here and would like to extend much gratitude for your review! I especially loved your kind words to our exceptional guest reception (front desk) and arrival experience (bell desk/valet) teams. Mahalo for also highlighting our uncommon Sunset Pool which is the perfect place to spend an afternoon soaking in the sun while sipping on any one of our signature cocktails. You’re happiness is vital to our success and I couldn’t be more concerned with your experience at our Sunrise Pool. Please email me at rory.cosma@themodernhonolulu.com. I would love to hear your feedback and concerns as we definitely see this as a helpful opportunity to improve our services for you and other valued guests in the future. Mahalo again for review! I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Warmest Aloha,

Rory Cosma
Guest Experience Manager
THE MODERN HONOLULU

1,387 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

The Modern is just far enough not be overwhelmed with masses of tourists yet just close enough to have beach front access & a short walk to the most amazing outside mall, Ala Moana Shopping Centre. The pool is everything you see on the website - deck chairs and day beds surround a small yet inviting pool and we enjoyed cocktails and snacks here almost daily. Service is fabulous, everyone is always smiling, friendly and wishing to make your stay a satisfying one. Cannot speak more highly of this hotel. Thank you for a great stay & we will be back!

• Stayed June 2013
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed for 10 days at the Modern Hotel at the end of June and it was just amazing.

We had an ocean view room which was just great as we had a view of the pools at the hotel, the lagoon at the Hilton Village then onto the ocean. On Friday night they have a fireworks display from the beach, which we were able to see from either our room or from the pool deck.

The staff at the hotel were just so wonderful I could not begin to tell you how they went beyond all expectations. If there was a issue they were very open to hear what it was and then get it sorted with a smile and apology. The knowledge of the island and local restaurants is just fantastic. Also the little things they did before I arrived was incredible.

The food was excellent as well. They had local artists singing both around the pool and in the Study who were really good.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone going to Honolulu. They are situated a 5 minute walk to the Ala Monana shopping mall and a 10 - 15 minute walk or 3 minute bus ride into Waikiki shops.

Room Tip: I would recommend getting a Ocean View room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I travel to Oahu every 4-6 weeks or so for work and have stayed in many properties over the past 3 years. That being said, I discovered the Modern about 2 years ago and have not strayed ever since. The property is gorgeous, the staff wonderful and the location ("off the strip") allows for quite the relaxing environment regardless of if you're there for work or for play. The Study bar has some of the best staff on the island, the valets are beyond helpful and fantastic not to mention all of the other staff throughout the hotel that will make your experience special.

Room Tip: Partial Ocean View is quite delightful...especially if you get to face pool-side for great people wa...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Westworth Village
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were moving to Oahu and stayed at The Modern Honolulu until our new home was ready to move into. We had a great time at this hotel, and were very well taken care of! We had great service here but I must name a few people in particular. Kathrin at the front desk is amazing and can take care of any military needs. If you hang out at the pool, ask to sit in Olivia's section, she is fabulous. And when you order room service, ask for Vincent. He will bend over backwards to keep you happy! Vincent is fast, fun to talk to and is very knowledgable about the area. You won't regret staying here.

Room Tip: The ocean view is worth the cost.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Only stayed one night, but definitely will be staying there again. The service was absolutely superb and the hotel is is breathtaking. My wife attended a bridal shower at the adult pool and enjoyed every bit of it. Upon check-in you are greeted and taken care of until you leave. The room was spacious and beautiful. Everything is up to date and the hotel definitely lives by its name--modern. The one and only suggestion is to get a room as high as possible. We stayed on the fourth floor and there was a wedding on a Tuesday night...I felt like we were a guest at the wedding as you can hear every single thing. The club tends to be loud as well, so your best bet is a higher floor to avoid the noise. Definitely the best hotel in Waikiki. It is not on the beach but you can walk a few hundred yards to it.

Room Tip: The higher floor the better.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TMHmgr, Rory C, Guest Experience Manager at The Modern Honolulu, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Aloha PRFlyer26,

I’m very pleased that we were able to make a wonderful impression on your one night stay with us. Thank you for highlighting our sleek and stylish rooms and your service experience from our dedicated team members. At THE MODERN HONOLULU, we take great pride in ensuring that all guests are able to enjoy themselves by the uncommon Hawaiian experience we’re able to provide through embodying the essence of Aloha in our customer service and distinct features of our hotel that are uncommon to our competitors. Mahalo for your excellent review! Please come back and visit us soon!

A hui hou, (until we meet again)

Rory Cosma
Guest Experience Manager
THE MODERN HONOLULU
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have no complaint about my stay from beginning to end.
The staff is amazing, and I meant every single one of them. They are very friendly and helpful. The concierge is certainly knowledgeable about the island and they've done nothing but accommodating my every needs.
If you decide to trust me and stay at this wonderful hotel, check out the bar at night.
It's called The Study and the bartender is fabulous, best cocktail I've ever tasted.
If you doubt my over-positive comment, go ahead and try other pplaces, but you'll regret.
I, myself, stayed my last night at Prince, another hotel nearby, due to some last minute change of plan. And they were nowhere near the Modern

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Modern Honolulu? Share your experiences!